PDA

View Full Version : need advice for my box

grappledon
05-04-2004, 05:39 PM
im looking into making a custom aluminum box for my car. i was wondering if anyone here has made one before or has any info on making one. i work in a fab shop so the welding and all that is no problem. i was looking into using 1/4" welded all around. any one got any info to help me?????? ty in advance. :confused:

JnEsPappa
05-05-2004, 11:50 AM
I would suggest making the box out of MDF and using contact adhesive to glue the aluminum to it.

I'm afraid an aluminum box will resonate and sing to you.

-Mark

sweede
05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
you would have to get u-channels welded to the inside of it like mad to keep it from vibrating, probably every 2-3" a small U-channel. all together the total cost of the all alum box would be outragous.

grappledon
05-05-2004, 06:25 PM
the material costs are not a big deal...... and i was planning on putting some braces on the inside.. if i do that do you think it will sound ok. i cant find any info on the h2 that has the aluminum enclosure in it and i dont know if anyone had any info from that or not.

sweede
05-05-2004, 07:18 PM
I think if you braced the biznitch out of it and put a few layers of dampening material it might not be that bad. Hell, the only way to find out is to do it. if it doesnt work We'll know for sure then :)

grappledon
05-05-2004, 08:34 PM
yeah i guess that is the easyist way to find out but i was hoping that someone might have some experiance with them or something similar so i didnt spend all the time designing it and custom making it to find out it sounds like $h|+.

grappledon
05-05-2004, 09:18 PM
you dont think that 1/4" braced on the inside isnt going to be thick enough?

Sound Gorillaz
05-05-2004, 11:17 PM
1/4" will still flex. We don't know the sub(s) tht you are putting in to it.
It will take alot of bracing to help it plus for internal space you would have to consider all the displacement of the bracing. Then you will have to go bigger dimensions making it easier to flex or the need for more bracing. never ending cycle I think

jackrab
05-06-2004, 01:53 AM
I bilt one will back 1/4 stress droke in 2 weeks ,I had 4 (w715 jl) & 4 MA audio 2000 watt
driving

grappledon
05-06-2004, 05:51 PM
well i got a 2003 tiburon, and all im really looking to do is basically replace the stock sub wich is an 8". im not going to go much more then a 10 in it. maybe a box for each side. only going to have like 250 watts to each or so. i was looking at the dvc kicker comps. i dont know if this helps anyone with the question anymore.

nosaj070
05-06-2004, 06:07 PM
How about you build the box out of mdf, and cover it in sheetmetal, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

grappledon
05-06-2004, 07:45 PM
1. if i wanted a box out of mdf then i would already have it done. i want something much differant then everyone else has.

2. working in a sheet metal shop i can make it alot cheaper out of aluminum then i can out of anything else.

3. dont want to work with fiberglass and i want something to fit perfect.

:patriotic :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :banghead:

nosaj070
05-06-2004, 10:34 PM
1. if i wanted a box out of mdf then i would already have it done. i want something much differant then everyone else has.

2. working in a sheet metal shop i can make it alot cheaper out of aluminum then i can out of anything else.

3. dont want to work with fiberglass and i want something to fit perfect.

:patriotic :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :banghead:

Well there is usually a reason why everyone uses one thing. Sort of like how everyone convenietnly uses gasoline in their cars, kinda like a standard. You are more than welcome to try 1/4 in aluminum, but no one can guarantee you anything.

78nova
05-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I bilt one will back 1/4 stress droke in 2 weeks ,I had 4 (w715 jl) & 4 MA audio 2000 watt
driving
lets see pics, i dont believe you, they dont even make the w7 in a 15", and the name for that sub isnt w715 jl