PDA

View Full Version : 2 Sundown Audio Zv3 15's in the Scion TC.

chvse_esvhc
07-06-2013, 12:57 AM
How do you all feel about the build? Just finished by a shop in AZ called Sound Xpression. Box has 3 cubes per woofer after driver displacement and all that; tuned to 35hz. Running off a SAZ3500. What's your opinion on it? Also, any help on whether or not the ports are too small? Thanks!

-BenBen-
07-06-2013, 01:07 AM
JMO... those subs need a little bigger box? and i would tune a little lower (32-33) all in all, i bet it gets nasty..port does look a little skimpy though

chvse_esvhc
07-06-2013, 01:11 AM
This is basically all the room I had to work with.. It's a bummer I know, I would have went larger as well, both box and port, but without spilling over into the back seats, this is as big as I could go. Each port is 12" x 3.25" x 12.5".

SounDrive
07-06-2013, 01:44 AM
13 sqin port/cube... not TOO bad but not great either. I'd want more like 14-16. Port looks REALLY close to the hatch too...

chvse_esvhc
07-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Yeah.. Port is really close to the hatch. What does that do, if you don't mind me asking? I'm young and don't have much experience under my belt, so any knowledge you could pass on will be greatly appreciated. What else could they have done w/ the ports? I pretty much left it up to them as I didn't know a ton about all the technical stuff.

PSturmer
07-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Use psp ports

PSturmer
07-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah.. Port is really close to the hatch. What does that do, if you don't mind me asking? I'm young and don't have much experience under my belt, so any knowledge you could pass on will be greatly appreciated. What else could they have done w/ the ports? I pretty much left it up to them as I didn't know a ton about all the technical stuff. you want to make sure the ports have enough room to breatth. But they really don't need much room. Three to four inches should suffice

DDtC
07-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Should of went with 12s in the right box.

chvse_esvhc
07-06-2013, 11:39 AM
How does everybody feel about the PSP ports? That's my best option for increasing port size area without having to reconstruct an entirely new box, correct? And just to put this back out there. Each woofer is in its own enclosure. 2 separate boxes. So how big of PSP ports for each taking into account the port size already on the box? Thanks. I wanted to go 15's, since I've always had 12's. I'm not lacking on airspace as far as recommended specs, but I fully agree these 15's need a little bit larger of a box to be maximized.

jockhater2
07-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Should of went with 12s in the right box.

That's why I didn't go with 15s. Better to have the right speaker in the right box.

chvse_esvhc
07-06-2013, 12:19 PM
How isn't it the "right box"? It correlates perfectly with Sundown's recommended specs. Now, I understand that people fiddle with those numbers to achieve the sound they want, but as far as it not being the "right box", I beg to differ. I could be sounding like an idiot, as I admittedly don't know as much as you, but I'm not a believer that it is the complete "wrong box".. Any help with the port situation, though?

DDtC
07-06-2013, 01:51 PM
To small. At lest 3.5 cubes, and at least 14 square inches of port per. You have neither. = wrong box. That's why I didn't go 15, even with the seat out its to tight to do it right.

chvse_esvhc
07-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Where are you gettin the 3.5 cubes from? I'm pulling straight from Sundown's site. It reads as 3 cubes. I don't know why a manufacturer would put false or incorrect measurements on their products. I'm just trying to understand where you are getting your numbers from.

DDtC
07-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Where are you gettin the 3.5 cubes from? I'm pulling straight from Sundown's site. It reads as 3 cubes. I don't know why a manufacturer would put false or incorrect measurements on their products. I'm just trying to understand where you are getting your numbers from.

I'm getting my numbers cause its a 15. 3.5 is the minimum.
Question is are you happy? If so its all good.

Joseph7195
07-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Without seeing the inside of the box, nobody could possibly tell you if the port is too small or too big. Within the constraints of the purchaser(you) I have a feeling the box is the perfect box to meet your needs. Now if you had 12's, box would be different, 18's, then that would be a different install. My only concern is the amount of wires being ran directly off a single battery terminal. But that is just personal preference, I prefer to use fused distribution blocks for the equipment that uses less power. Just looks cleaner to me.

Edit, I didn't realize you put up the port dimensions, and yes, they are a little small. But within your constraints, they are needed. You're losing output, but until some of your variables change, the box will have to stay the same.

chvse_esvhc
07-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Yeah, it sounds incredible! I'm sorry if it comes off as me arguing or being condescending. I appreciate every opinion you gave me. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm able to work with I got, since it would be a costly error if the box is really that bad. I don't want it to hurt the woofers. Would small PSP port additions on each box make anything better? Or is airspace what is more crucial? I really can't get a larger box made without spilling over into the back seats, and I've already got the 15's on my hands. You know?

chvse_esvhc
07-06-2013, 02:18 PM
What variables would be most effective and feasible to change given my constraints, Joseph?

Joseph7195
07-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Just as mentioned above, the Rquired box size for a given sub. Depending on the sub, the requirements for outputs differ, and all require different enclosures. I know some 15's and sme 18's that sound best in a very small sealed enclosures. Some subs sound best in ported, but your choice in subs will ultimately chose your enclosure types. On another note, there are no trolls in this thread, nothing but good information has been given so far. Which is awesome to see!!

DDtC
07-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Yeah, it sounds incredible! I'm sorry if it comes off as me arguing or being condescending. I appreciate every opinion you gave me. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm able to work with I got, since it would be a costly error if the box is really that bad. I don't want it to hurt the woofers. Would small PSP port additions on each box make anything better? Or is airspace what is more crucial? I really can't get a larger box made without spilling over into the back seats, and I've already got the 15's on my hands. You know?

If you haven't noticed we have the same car. If you want them right its going to take up every bit of room behind the front seats.

rebelfromva
07-06-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm getting my numbers cause its a 15. 3.5 is the minimum.
Question is are you happy? If so its all good.

My z liked right at 3 cubes. Was tuned @37 though

DDtC
07-06-2013, 03:14 PM
My z liked right at 3 cubes. Was tuned @37 though

I think that's how Sundown speced the 15 and 18. The 18 we did for John's Town car was 4 cubes or something stupid. It was peaky as hell and the lows ******. Put it in 6 and it came alive.

chvse_esvhc
07-06-2013, 04:55 PM
****.. I can't let go of the back seats just yet.. That'll mean less people I can audibly assault at once. Haha. What did you mean by that's how Sundown spec'd the 15 and 18?