PDA

View Full Version : SQ system?

Darian Key
07-02-2013, 03:41 PM
I have a Aq hdc312 right now and i really want to get rid of it and get a recone for my sundown sa 8 and get another sa 8 and tune the box to about 32 hz for a nice sq system. how does that sound to you guys? also how much could i get for my AQ hdc312 with the box? the sub is about 3/4 the way broken in was only on 700 watts for about a month and 1700 for around 2 weeks then i sold my car. the box is 2.5 cubes tuned too 36-37 hz and about 40 sq-in of port space. Also if anyone is interested in the AQ or would like pictures let me know

jockhater2
07-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Why does everyone think that downsizing in subwoofer is going to give them more SQ?

Why not work on the front stage first. That is more important.

Darian Key
07-02-2013, 05:14 PM
not downsizing. I already have a blown sa8 and i would get another one along with the recone for the blown one and i know they handle lows way better than the hdc312. and for front stage i am getting selenium 6.5 mids and aq super tweeters to replace the kicker 6.5s that were already in there when i got the car. so mids and highs are set with my rockford t400-4 except for the back area (ill just keep the kickers till i find something else).

NoLoud4U
07-02-2013, 05:17 PM
not downsizing. I already have a blown sa8 and i would get another one along with the recone for the blown one and i know they handle lows way better than the hdc312. and for front stage i am getting selenium 6.5 mids and aq super tweeters to replace the kicker 6.5s that were already in there when i got the car. so mids and highs are set with my rockford t400-4 except for the back area (ill just keep the kickers till i find something else).

Those PAs and bullets scream SQ lol

Darian Key
07-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Those PAs and bullets scream SQ lol

what exactly are those?

chefzane
07-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Kinda what I was thinking based on the lesson I got recently on MAF on this stuff

Darian Key
07-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Kinda what I was thinking based on the lesson I got recently on MAF on this stuff
what was the lesson? lol

chefzane
07-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Check mobileaudioforum.com and search for the thread started by me called tweeter suggestions, its been in the last couple days so it should be easy to find but seriously a lot more to it than just saying sq a lot more good luck

Darian Key
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
ok ill check it out. i men sq more of like to compensate for loud bass haha so nice loud and clear mids and highs with etiquette bass. i was going to do a wall in my taurus but then i sold it and got a supercharged regal and im trying to keep weight down but its hard being a basshead and a car guy ahah

Darian Key
07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
alright so i read it and im not doing as big of a sq setup as you lol im just wanted a 6.5 mid in the door since its already got a 6.5" hole and it has 1 inch tweeters in the door (if you know buicks a lot of them come stock in the door) im thinking that will be enough? for the front that is..

chefzane
07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
It should be plenty all I was saying was that decide exactly what you want then read read read then ask questions

I wasn't doing that big of a setup either but it has snowballed to an all out beginner entry level sq setup that I am doing all by myself from scratch, and this is my first setup/install ever so I bit off a huge chunk that I am determined to swallow and see to the end, all I have listed anywhere is the sound setup not even mentioned the interior/exterior mods

Good luck bud keep to what YOU want and finish before you decide to upgrade that way you aren't chasing your tail

9515ROB
07-03-2013, 12:57 AM
"for front stage i am getting selenium 6.5 mids and aq super tweeters to replace the kicker 6.5s"

You consider this SQ hahaha. You dont have a clue in hell in hell what sq is then

Darian Key
07-03-2013, 02:26 AM
"for front stage i am getting selenium 6.5 mids and aq super tweeters to replace the kicker 6.5s"

You consider this SQ hahaha. You dont have a clue in hell in hell what sq is then

dont gotta come at me as a prick man.. im not good with the front stage if it isnt obvious already and those are pretty decent if youre on a budget. maybe you can answer my original question about the subs instead of coming at me? or help me out? thanks and im ON A BUDGET

jockhater2
07-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components (http://www.parts-express.com)
Order a pair of tweeters off that site. I chose the Morel MDT-29s. Pick whatever fits your application.
Or go to
Madisound Speaker Components: distributor of loudspeaker drivers and parts for speaker builders. (http://www.madisound.com)

Your kicker 6.5s are fine.

As for changing the sub from 12s to 8. I don't see how an the AQ can't "handle" the lows". Something must not be right.

clickclickw00t
07-03-2013, 10:08 AM
My HDC312 handles lows just fine. might be your box or amp. Dimensions of box and model# of amp?

Are you running 1/0 gauge wire? is your gain set with a DMM? Big 3 done?

Darian Key
07-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components (http://www.parts-express.com)
Order a pair of tweeters off that site. I chose the Morel MDT-29s. Pick whatever fits your application.
Or go to
Madisound Speaker Components: distributor of loudspeaker drivers and parts for speaker builders. (http://www.madisound.com)

Your kicker 6.5s are fine.

As for changing the sub from 12s to 8. I don't see how an the AQ can't "handle" the lows". Something must not be right.

I will check it out and thanks ill just keep the kickers then. and as for the sub i was talking anywhere from tuning 28-32hz and i just didnt know on my sub hitting lows like those 8s can i know it is a 12 but idk maybe i should redo the box?

Darian Key
07-04-2013, 04:17 AM
My HDC312 handles lows just fine. might be your box or amp. Dimensions of box and model# of amp?

Are you running 1/0 gauge wire? is your gain set with a DMM? Big 3 done?

mine does lows OK but not how i like them. its 2.5 cubes tuned to 36 hz and it had 1/0 knu konceptz and did the big 3 in my taurus before i sold it on a hifonics brz1700.1 at 1 ohm and had the gain at a little less than 2/3 the way up

NoLoud4U
07-04-2013, 04:30 AM
mine does lows OK but not how i like them. its 2.5 cubes tuned to 36 hz and it had 1/0 knu konceptz and did the big 3 in my taurus before i sold it on a hifonics brz1700.1 at 1 ohm and had the gain at a little less than 2/3 the way up

Tuning at 36 you're going to have a hard time playing 30 and under. And with the gain that high I bet you're clipping the hell out of it.

Darian Key
07-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Tuning at 36 you're going to have a hard time playing 30 and under. And with the gain that high I bet you're clipping the hell out of it.

not really i never turned the gain knob past half way lol and thats what i figured i might tune it too 31-32 and see what happens

DoesDad
07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
not really i never turned the gain knob past half way lol and thats what i figured i might tune it too 31-32 and see what happens

Just because the gains not "past halfway" doesn't mean you're not clipping the **** out of it. Get a dmm...

jockhater2
07-04-2013, 10:30 AM

Wanna rent a DD-1 one from me so that you can set your amp gains properly to insure that you aren't clipping?
Also. I would keep the 12 and redo the box.
Do you only listen to rap?
I had a box tuned to 32. Ended up changing it because it had to much slope on a higher end.

mat3833
07-04-2013, 01:06 PM

the gains on my amp are just above 3/4 and i dont clip. ganis are used to match the input sensitivity of your amp to the headunit or line out converter you are using. since my LOC only puts out ~.4V my gains will be much higher than someone using a headunit or line driver with 4V or 8V of signal.

Matt

Darian Key
07-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Just because the gains not "past halfway" doesn't mean you're not clipping the **** out of it. Get a dmm...

i have a dmm just never really used it. im not to god with "clipping" yet but i do know you can hear it correct? its just like distortion basically? i had my trunk sealed off in my taurus so the sub was facing me obviously and any little bit of distortion was very audible so i kept it down.

Darian Key
07-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Wanna rent a DD-1 one from me so that you can set your amp gains properly to insure that you aren't clipping?
Also. I would keep the 12 and redo the box.
Do you only listen to rap?
I had a box tuned to 32. Ended up changing it because it had to much slope on a higher end.

i listen to everything but mostly rap yes. and i can use a dmm to do it and plus all of my audio stuff has been sitting around since January so im not doing much right now with it.

jockhater2
07-05-2013, 12:04 PM
keep the 12. Redesign the box.