PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade my 6.5 comps - Little more dB's

Roland
07-01-2013, 03:12 AM
I tried the JBL ms62's. I love the tweeters, but the mid-woofer lacked volume and mid detail, kind of a distant sound to them. The woofer have good lows but not really needed with my sub.

I tried the Rockford Fosgate T2652-s, The mids are great! but the tweeters were lacking.

Using the RF woofer with the JBL's tweeter is very nice. That combo is great to a point. I drive a lot a i like my windows down on the hwy going 70 plus MPH, this is where i need a little more volume without distortion.
Id like to find a comp set that can go a little louder without distorting. So good, strong, detailed, mids and highs is what i'm looking for. I was considering trying the RF T3652-S.
Any suggestions is appreciated. id like to keep it under $450.

Thanks Roland

My set up
Pioneer PRS80 headset- PPI 900-4 amp active (145 RMS x 4) - Dayton Audio UM10-22 10" Ultimax sub- PPI 1000-1 sub amp.

T.I.K.
07-01-2013, 03:19 AM
You want to look for speakers with high sensitivity(SPL in t/s terms) and above average power handling. I'm not going to scour the internet right now, but if you're browsing around, look for those characteristics.

SounDrive
07-01-2013, 03:23 AM
More power = more volume. You're not going to get too much more output from changing components without throwing more power to them.

T.I.K.
07-01-2013, 03:31 AM
T makes a good point. More power would help a lot. You're only going to approach max amp output on your speakers while they're playing mid bass, so increasing the power to the speakers wouldn't increase your risk of cooking them too much.

You might have the capability to send 120w of power to your speakers, but on music, you're not going to send full power simply because vocals and guitars are not pure sin waves and therefore don't tell the amp to send full power. You can safely increase the amount of power going to your speakers to a reasonable amount to gain louder un-distorted output.

Roland
07-01-2013, 03:34 AM
You want to look for speakers with high sensitivity(SPL in t/s terms) and above average power handling. I'm not going to scour the internet right now, but if you're browsing around, look for those characteristics.
Its funny you mention the sensitivity. The JBL's and the RF's have the same 89dB numbers. But i hooked them up across from one an other (one in each door) the RF where much louder than the JBL's at the same input.

T.I.K.
07-01-2013, 03:38 AM
Its funny you mention the sensitivity. The JBL's and the RF's have the same 89dB numbers. But i hooked them up across from one an other (one in each door) the RF where much louder than the JBL's at the same input.
Tenacious makes a good point, more clean power would be a good place to start, instead of a new comp set.

Soundstream REF2.640 2 Channel Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20678_Soundstream_REF2640.aspx)

DDtC
07-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Hertz is the SPL brand of Audison. Start there but it sounds like something is off with your install

Roland
07-01-2013, 08:48 AM
"but it sounds like something is off with your install"

Because the JBS where so much quieter than the RF?

It certainly dose not seem right to me ether, now that i see that they have the same sensitivity.

I only tried one of the JBL woofer in the one door. at that point it was clear to me the RF's where better for me (Louder). I will install the other Jbl woofer in case the one was defective or something with the first one.

Thanks

Roland
07-01-2013, 08:57 AM
More power = more volume. You're not going to get too much more output from changing components without throwing more power to them.

Tenacious makes a good point, more clean power would be a good place to start, instead of a new comp set.

Soundstream REF2.640 2 Channel Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20678_Soundstream_REF2640.aspx)

Is this true?

I could bridge my amp and go passive with the speakers. That would give 450 RMS @ 4ohms instead of 145 RMS.

This won't damage the 100 watt RMS rated speakers if i crank them?

trumpet
07-01-2013, 09:00 AM
You can't just dump a shitload of power into the same speakers and get more output. You'll run into power compression and start causing damage as well.

Roland
07-01-2013, 09:45 AM
You can't just dump a shitload of power into the same speakers and get more output. You'll run into power compression and start causing damage as well.

Yeah, that what i thought. That's why those 2 post confused me. Thanks

DDtC
07-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Yeah, that what i thought. That's why those 2 post confused me. Thanks

Are your doors treated and properly sealed? Higher end stuff requires higher end installs to get the most out off. They are designed that way

OldManBass
07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Are your doors treated and properly sealed? Higher end stuff requires higher end installs to get the most out off. They are designed that way

This.

Roland
07-01-2013, 10:29 AM

The doors have about 10-15 lbs of mat each (if i remember right) all holes covered and outer wall covered. Maybe a little over kill even.
Now i spacers could use some sealant but I didn't want to seal them until i settle on a speaker.

i think i may be wanting to much out of 1 set of speakers. They sound great until i get on the hwy with the window down. that when i turn them up and i don't notice any distortion until i get off the freeway. Thats when i think about what that distortion could be doing/damaging the speakers. maybe i'm worrying to much and should leave well enough alone.

DDtC
07-01-2013, 10:33 AM
The doors have about 10-15 lbs of mat each (if i remember right) all holes covered and outer wall covered. Maybe a little over kill even.
Now i spacers could use some sealant but I didn't want to seal them until i settle on a speaker.

i think i may be wanting to much out of 1 set of speakers. They sound great until i get on the hwy with the window down. that when i turn them up and i don't notice any distortion until i get off the freeway. Thats when i think about what that distortion could be doing/damaging the speakers. maybe i'm worrying to much and should leave well enough alone.

You should have the volume. I only run one set and I blend great, windows down sunroof open it dont matter. Something is not right

trumpet
07-01-2013, 10:50 AM
I would suggest putting up a barrier in the doors to block road noise, but since the windows are the #1 (http://www.caraudio.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) problem and you're opening them that won't help much. This may be the dumb question here but can't you just leave the windows shut?

Roland
07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Not a dumb question at all.

I really do like to drive withthe widows down.
That said, my Ac went out and I rather have a little better sound than AC. LOL saying that out loud really make me feel like a Idiot but hey, priorities you no.

DDtC
07-01-2013, 11:30 AM

That said, my Ac went out and I rather have a little better sound than AC. LOL saying that out loud really make me feel like a Idiot but hey, priorities you no.

where are the tweeters positioned and is the EQ and amp set right?

trumpet
07-01-2013, 11:38 AM

I would never do this again, but I completely removed the AC from a previous car because I wanted to reduce weight. So I've been sweating just like you are. It's not fun.

Roland
07-01-2013, 11:55 AM
The tweeters are nose level on the pillars.
I just found that the loudness was on, I think my son they have turned it on. I'll play with the EQ some more, and also try out the time alignment to see how much that helps.

Thanks