PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Box Design Help!

East
06-28-2013, 09:49 PM
I have a 02 Trailblazer LT and I would like a low slamming box for my 18" BTL N2 Fully Loaded running off 2000w.
I'm currently running a 30hz @ 7ft^3 box but the port area seems small its like 11inches per ft^3. I used to run a 6.5^ft3 @ 30hz box with 15inches of port per ft^3 and it slapped lows I want similiar with a KERFED port.

NOW THIS IS WHAT I WANT!
I wanted a KERFED design for a low slamming box max dimensions are: 43w x 18h x 30d
Needs to be 28-30hz @ 7ft^3 and I want around 14-15 inches of port per ft^3 I need a picture/cut sheet and information on the kerf cuts. Anyone who does this I can pay 5-10$ USD but it MUST be a good box builder such as Rabbit etc.

LMK PEOPLE WANNA SLAP LOWS.

hispls
06-28-2013, 11:10 PM
8 cube 160"^2 port 17" long. Thank me later when you're loud.

RangerDangerV2
06-28-2013, 11:38 PM

beat me to it.

Oraclem19
06-28-2013, 11:57 PM

Never quite understood how with more and larger woofers, such a big port could be used with a short length and reach low tuning?

RangerDangerV2
06-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Never quite understood how with more and larger woofers, such a big port could be used with a short length and reach low tuning?

because physics.

dbeez
06-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Box size helps

hispls
06-29-2013, 09:04 AM

That tunes @ 44hz I believe. Tuning @ 30hz is really silly if you're not using it for watching movies

NoLoud4U
06-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Unless he can set the SS around 35hz that BTL would go mechanical fast. He said he wanted lows.

IonRL205
06-29-2013, 09:31 AM
That tunes @ 44hz I believe. Tuning @ 30hz is really silly if you're not using it for watching movies

But why would he want to tune to 44 hz if he's building a system for the lows?

I don't see that 44 hz tune playing into the low 20s very well

hispls
06-29-2013, 08:08 PM
But why would he want to tune to 44 hz if he's building a system for the lows?

I thought he wanted to get loud. He can play low right now and the only "music" that really takes advantage of that bandwidth is test tones and crap slowed to half speed.

Buck
06-29-2013, 09:37 PM
I thought he wanted to get loud. He can play low right now and the only "music" that really takes advantage of that bandwidth is test tones and crap slowed to half speed.

What?

Buck
06-29-2013, 09:40 PM
I'd tune low personally.

dbeez
06-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Evidently tyga rack city and put on and such songs only dig low when slowed down.

T.I.K.
06-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Pretty sure there's a 27hz note in On My Level? It's surprising how many newer rap songs I've been hearing bass notes that I'm pretty sure are in the mid 30's.

Oraclem19
06-30-2013, 01:45 AM
Pretty sure there's a 27hz note in On My Level? It's surprising how many newer rap songs I've been hearing bass notes that I'm pretty sure are in the mid 30's.

This is where I was confused.
This is also why I am considering keeping two demo boxes around. One for DD, tuned up into 40-42hz, and one for lows and demoing rap, tuned at like 35 33s.

Then again with how my system was hitting last time I played with this 35 box if I break 1000w kind of feels like a 35 tuned box can take care of anything up until 60s 70s adequately.

T.I.K.
06-30-2013, 01:58 AM
This is also why I am considering keeping two demo boxes around. One for DD, tuned up into 40-42hz, and one for lows and demoing rap, tuned at like 35 33s.

Then again with how my system was hitting last time I played with this 35 box if I break 1000w kind of feels like a 35 tuned box can take care of anything up until 60s 70s adequately.
You could technically tune in the upper 30's/low 40's and still play all through the 30's with authority. It's all in the box modeling though. As soon as you start playing below tuning, you lose more and more of the acoustic suspension provided by the box, so cone control is purely on the suspension and motor.

I personally don't know how to model that, I'm sure if you consult one of the professional designers on here they could help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

My point being that you could possible build a box that satisfies both styles of music. It would certainly be more convenient than building two boxes.

Oraclem19
06-30-2013, 02:29 AM
You could technically tune in the upper 30's/low 40's and still play all through the 30's with authority. It's all in the box modeling though. As soon as you start playing below tuning, you lose more and more of the acoustic suspension provided by the box, so cone control is purely on the suspension and motor.

I personally don't know how to model that, I'm sure if you consult one of the professional designers on here they could help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

My point being that you could possible build a box that satisfies both styles of music. It would certainly be more convenient than building two boxes.

I'll put this out there right now then, anyone willing to help(your time will be made worth it) me achieve knowing how to get to these kind of designs, and confirm they will work before putting them in wood, send a message. Have and can use all current programs inc. Hornresp.

Have been trying to play some 32 hz songs on this box and while the tone plays, I can't tell if the box is unloading and damaging the woofer.

T.I.K.
06-30-2013, 02:42 AM
I'll put this out there right now then, anyone willing to help(your time will be made worth it) me achieve knowing how to get to these kind of designs, and confirm they will work before putting them in wood, send a message. Have and can use all current programs inc. Hornresp.

Have been trying to play some 32 hz songs on this box and while the tone plays, I can't tell if the box is unloading and damaging the woofer.
If the sub is being driven past the mechanical limits, you'd more than likely be able to hear abnormally loud mechanical noise or the sub bottoming out. Also, when the coil leaves the gap, distortion should be noticeable.

If you get yourself a DD-1, it will listen for any distortion, not just distortion from clipping(although that is what it is primarily used for). It would be easy enough to set gains with that and keep your coil inside the gap.

Oraclem19
06-30-2013, 03:05 AM
If the sub is being driven past the mechanical limits, you'd more than likely be able to hear abnormally loud mechanical noise or the sub bottoming out. Also, when the coil leaves the gap, distortion should be noticeable.

If you get yourself a DD-1, it will listen for any distortion, not just distortion from clipping(although that is what it is primarily used for). It would be easy enough to set gains with that and keep your coil inside the gap.
It sounds a bit odd at 32, must not be much distortion if I'm having problems telling if I'm distorting.
Link to DD-1 doing this? Didn't know the thing had a mic on it.

T.I.K.
06-30-2013, 03:18 AM
It sounds a bit odd at 32, must not be much distortion if I'm having problems telling if I'm distorting.
Link to DD-1 doing this? Didn't know the thing had a mic on it.
Wow, I must be high. No the DD-1 doesn't work that way.

T.I.K.
06-30-2013, 03:20 AM
point stands, once the coil leave the gap, it should audibly distort pretty heavily.

hispls
06-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Evidently tyga rack city and put on and such songs only dig low when slowed down.

Whatever. Meanwhile the other 14-18 tracks on any of the CD's those "songs" come from are in the more traditional music range. The larger problem is that most of the subs that we're dealing with here simply want to play peaky and you're going to sacrifice bandwidth somewhere for the sort of output we like. I used to always tune in the high 20's so that I could play down to 18hz and after going out on a limb and doing some low 40's tuning I'll never go back except for movie sound effects I'm not missing anything

More people would make a huge port for high tuning and an insert to tune lower when desired, or use external aero-octo type port and you could choose a port based on what you wanted to do and 8 bolts would swap them out.

In similar news, I actually have a box I'm trying to tune now 8 cube 16X 8.5" port 17" long that's peaking at 35hz. I'm not impressed and trying to tune higher. Really I have no idea why it's behaving like It is, going to trim a few inches off it and try to get it up @ 40-42

dbeez
06-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Whatever. Meanwhile the other 14-18 tracks on any of the CD's those "songs" come from are in the more traditional music range. The larger problem is that most of the subs that we're dealing with here simply want to play peaky and you're going to sacrifice bandwidth somewhere for the sort of output we like. I used to always tune in the high 20's so that I could play down to 18hz and after going out on a limb and doing some low 40's tuning I'll never go back except for movie sound effects I'm not missing anything

More people would make a huge port for high tuning and an insert to tune lower when desired, or use external aero-octo type port and you could choose a port based on what you wanted to do and 8 bolts would swap them out.

In similar news, I actually have a box I'm trying to tune now 8 cube 16X 8.5" port 17" long that's peaking at 35hz. I'm not impressed and trying to tune higher. Really I have no idea why it's behaving like It is, going to trim a few inches off it and try to get it up @ 40-42
Theres many songs that drop low thats not slowed is my point you like mid to higher bass better thats good I have built many low tuned boxes that will play from the 20's to the 60's all day.