PDA

View Full Version : Midbass...

cjj2d
05-03-2004, 05:43 PM
I am hunting down a good midbass driver. I would like to get a pair for no more than $300. I have 5.25 Diamond Audio hex comps and need to add some mid bass. they put out some but just not enough for me, other than that they sound fantastic. should I stick with a Diamond Audio midbass driver since that is what I have?

suggest me some if you have any experiance with any.

thanks.

urwhatueati8god
05-03-2004, 07:14 PM
I am hunting down a good midbass driver. I would like to get a pair for no more than $300. I have 5.25 Diamond Audio hex comps and need to add some mid bass. they put out some but just not enough for me, other than that they sound fantastic. should I stick with a Diamond Audio midbass driver since that is what I have?

suggest me some if you have any experiance with any.

thanks.

Couldn't you get the ad-on 6.5" midrange and turn em to three-ways?

cjj2d
06-27-2005, 01:53 PM
yeah, but I was thinking that I should get one that is a little stronger than it. It is really just a 6.5 midrange speaker, not a midbass dedicated driver which is what I am looking for. Something that will take alot of power and play really low and loud (60-80hz on up).

jujumantb
06-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Midbass is 90% in the install. Install those 5.25"s right and they will play great midbass. Adding on a dedicated midbass driver will just be a pain to do.

its_bacon12
06-27-2005, 02:00 PM
koda 8's = t3h m1db4ss

cjj2d
06-27-2005, 02:01 PM
why do you say it will be a pain to do??

I already have multiple amps to choose from to match up with some.
I also already have a PPI FRX-456 active crossover for the entire system once I find some too.
And I have always wanted to do a fiberglass kickpanel project.

The 5.25 are in my doors, and I am going for total SQ so a strong midbass is definatly needed to fill in where my 15 leaves off and my Hex's pick up.

3.5Max6spd
06-27-2005, 02:02 PM
check out www.madisound.com and www.partsexpress.com for raw drivers that you could use for dedicated midbass- hope you have the power, since you'll need 2 more channels of amplification

cjj2d
06-27-2005, 02:06 PM
as far as power is concerned I have to choose from:

PPI PC2150 (2x150 @ 4, 2x300 @2)
PPI PC2100 (2x100 @ 4, 2x200 @2)
(2) PPI PC250 (2x50 @ 4, 2x100 @2)
PPI A404
PPI 100Iqx

to power my system I also have a 200A/110 @idle HO alt waiting to be installed this week, and will be adding a Yellow Top as well. So I think I have all the power requirements covered.

adam71
06-27-2005, 03:41 PM
I think you're making this harder than it has to be. If STRENGTH is what you're looking for then get a pair of XXXs, they will more than satisfy your needs. But if you're going for all out SQ with just a little extra mid bass there are alot to choose from. CDTs HD 6.5" midbass are very nice just for an example. I obviously can't sit here and list all that would work but I think power is just as much a concern as the driver itself. I have MTX Black Gold 6.5" midbass drivers in my doors and there isn't that much to them as far as looks. No big beefy magnet, no polypropylene woofer or any of the other exotic woofer materials that are out on the market today. What they do have is a Pioneer (Premier) PRS-X720 going to them rated at 244 watts per channel RMS. MTX recommends 80-160 watts so you see I'm sending them alot more than the rated spec. And believe me I am NOT lacking in midbass.

What I'm trying to say is there are alot to choose from as far as midbass drivers but regardless of what you choose make sure you have more than adequate power to drive them. I think you'll find you don't have to break the bank for a really nice pair of speakers.

Sorry for babbling. :)

audiolife
06-27-2005, 04:07 PM
i would switch out the 5.25 at worst for a 6.5 and do a kick panel set up with an ap membrane well before i start adding speakers especially if you want extreme sq. i would also might recomend speakers that can keep up if you are wanting if for what i think you are wanting it for as well (jammin'). best bet is to find someone that has a car like yours and go from there. that way you get somewhat of an idea what you might run up against as far as problems.

GSteg
06-27-2005, 04:48 PM
I hope you at least have your doors deadened with some rigid (like 3/4" MDF perhaps) baffles. Otherwise throwing in a pair of dedicated midbass drivers will not do too much for you. :)

audiolife
06-27-2005, 05:45 PM
i have 5.25's and have to turn up my tweets to get past the midbass i have lol but my set up isnt nearly as loud as yours but i would have a hard time imagining that if they were set up solid you would be that determined to upgrade....unless you like to listen to alot of bass and loud

cjj2d
06-27-2005, 06:11 PM
yes my doors are deadened with Dynamat extreme and yes I have 3/4" mdf baffles for my 5.25s currently.

I listen to jambands all the time (phish, widespread panic, moe, etc) that is why midbass is so important to me.

I am not out to break the bank on some. I really don't want to spend more than like 150ish on a pair.

3.5Max6spd
06-27-2005, 06:19 PM
I am not out to break the bank on some. I really don't want to spend more than like 150ish on a pair.

Then I suggest you lok at drivers on the links I provided....Morels, Vifa's, Peerless and others

squeak9798
06-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Then I suggest you lok at drivers on the links I provided....Morels, Vifa's, Peerless and others

x2 what he said.

Also check out www.meniscusaudio.com, www.zalytron.com, www.solen.ca, www.speakercity.com

Max Fidelity high Qts woofer and the Dayton RS series are great to check out aswell.

the_noob
06-27-2005, 08:15 PM
www.diymobileaudio.com

talk to npdang.

adam71
06-27-2005, 08:34 PM

OR the CDT HD 6.5" drivers like I suggested earlier. :D

cjj2d
06-27-2005, 08:47 PM
****, now I have alot of choices.

GSteg
06-28-2005, 12:07 AM
what's the biggest size you can fit into your doors?

are you able to fit 7"? if so, look at the Seas L18RNX/P from madisound. I had the honor of witnessing it's output in a well deadened door and they output was unbelieveable. They played subbass with ease and no sign up distortion until you really really crank up the volume to max or something. I did not believe it was only mids in the car while playing because of the tremendous output. The mids were running as a midbass and midrange driver at the same time low passed at around 1.5khz or 2khz, can't remember.

You can find out more about this driver at diymobileaudio.com. Talk to 10K2HVN there and he can answer all your questions, he's the one who has it in his car.

cjj2d
06-28-2005, 01:32 AM
not sure if I could get a 7" in or not. Depends on the mounting diameter of it. I will check it out. thanks alot.

npdang
06-28-2005, 01:44 AM
Hi! I have a pair of XXX mids here... they are very nice, but for the money and size I definitely prefer the L18 or CA18 from Seas. Output is really about the same.. with more snap from the Seas and more lowend from the XXX. Can't go wrong with either mid though.

JAZN
06-28-2005, 01:49 AM
hey npdang, where are you located?
i've seen your posts elsewhere and on your site and i was wondering if you had a shop or something.
i need to find a local expert to help me out :)

any chance those proto's of yours off 50w could keep up with horns?

cjj2d
06-28-2005, 02:00 AM
thanks again np... will probably check them out especially for the price. do you happen to know the power rating on them??? I see they are 8ohm mids.

GSteg
06-28-2005, 02:42 AM
npdang wants to let me demo his car..dont u :D