PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood X990 Tuning help PLEASE!!!!

TheCandyMan
06-19-2013, 04:41 PM
So i ******* love my kenwood x990 cuz of all the features but the 1 thing i hate about it is the tuning.
It's so complicated cuz there isn't a treble or bass option it's all in frequancys and db's and fc and ff,and i have NO ******* CLUE WHAT THAT MEANS and the instruction booklet doesn't even help.
I usually have a guy that works at a shop near by re-tune my cd player if my battery gets disconnected. He will not be at work for a week and i can't go no week without loud music.
There for i'm hoping someone here is familiar with this head unit (due to i searched up kenwood x990 and alot of u guys said it's a great head unit) AND can help me out. I just need to know what to change on the cd player so NO BASS is comming threw my stock speakers and my treble is a bit louder then stock. IF YOU CAN HELP ME THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!!!!!
Let me know....

cfox10
06-19-2013, 04:50 PM
If you want to get loud, by a new system. In all seriousness, set the HPF (high pass filter) to 100hz... adjust the rest of the eq by ear, that will make it so the stock speakers aren't trying to reproduce sound they can't.

TheCandyMan
06-19-2013, 05:16 PM
i tryed to do it by ear and i just str8 up **** at it. If i could just learn what these freakin things mean like 1 means treble 1 means bass 1 means lows i'd be fine. And by loud i mean turned up past 24volume so i don't blow my stocks cuz so much bass is comming threw.

nismos14
06-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Lol, read.

trumpet
06-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Here's a video that will help you understand what's going on with the 4-band eq on that head unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrVeOVMXgi4

Once you get that down so it's not so confusing the other sound adjustments can be addressed.

TheCandyMan
06-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Ok that vid is just making it more confusing. Plus that's not my cd player and my cd player LITERLY DOES NOT SAY BASS OR TREBLE OR MID!!! It's all in FC,ff,db,hz,fr,etc,etc,etc. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS FOR THE BASS COMMING THREW MY SPEAKERS AND WHAT IS THE TREBLE! F-ck mids,f-ck everything else, i just don't want my stocks to blow. I'm bout to just call it a day and sell this cd player and get a new kenwood with REAL setting with REAL WORDS and a usb port so i never have to make cd's again. F-ck life....
p.s. the guy in the video not having an ENGLISH accent makes it even harder to understand if i could understand at all. That's ADHD for ya...

nismos14
06-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Just buy a new layman HU.

cfox10
06-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Ok that vid is just making it more confusing. Plus that's not my cd player and my cd player LITERLY DOES NOT SAY BASS OR TREBLE OR MID!!! It's all in FC,ff,db,hz,fr,etc,etc,etc. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS FOR THE BASS COMMING THREW MY SPEAKERS AND WHAT IS THE TREBLE! F-ck mids,f-ck everything else, i just don't want my stocks to blow. I'm bout to just call it a day and sell this cd player and get a new kenwood with REAL setting with REAL WORDS and a usb port so i never have to make cd's again. F-ck life....
p.s. the guy in the video not having an ENGLISH accent makes it even harder to understand if i could understand at all. That's ADHD for ya...

Does it have something called HPF? or a high pass filter? If so, set it to 100, or higher.. no bass through the speakers.

trumpet
06-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Lol..wow. Yeah, it's time for a new head unit. The video is the best one I've found to explain a simple parametric equalizer, which your head unit has.

TheCandyMan
06-20-2013, 04:56 PM
The only reason i got this HU is cuz it was the best out by kenwood at the time and it has the motorized screen which i LOVE to death cuz when the suns beamin u can just have it drop it like it's hot. THe last time the dude did my EQ he just put one thing to negative and it was all good no bass comming threw speakers. If i put the hpf past 100 wouldn't the high pass be with bass also or am i complete idiot<which i probably am...

cfox10
06-20-2013, 05:23 PM
The only reason i got this HU is cuz it was the best out by kenwood at the time and it has the motorized screen which i LOVE to death cuz when the suns beamin u can just have it drop it like it's hot. THe last time the dude did my EQ he just put one thing to negative and it was all good no bass comming threw speakers. If i put the hpf past 100 wouldn't the high pass be with bass also or am i complete idiot<which i probably am...

It won't mess with the subwoofer.

TheCandyMan
06-21-2013, 09:55 PM
bump

TheCandyMan
06-26-2013, 09:40 PM
It won't mess with the subwoofer.

It won't mess with the woofer but it def made the bass even STRONGER comming threw my stocks which is what i DO NOT WANT!
I'm gonna get a digi and make some vids of my options on my cd player for u guys to watch and u can then tell me what to put what at cuz i tryed for 3hours to do it myself today and just failed horribly...

cfox10
06-27-2013, 01:32 AM
It won't mess with the woofer but it def made the bass even STRONGER comming threw my stocks which is what i DO NOT WANT!
I'm gonna get a digi and make some vids of my options on my cd player for u guys to watch and u can then tell me what to put what at cuz i tryed for 3hours to do it myself today and just failed horribly...

Must have messed with the fq, not the hpf... the hpf will definitely cut off the bass from the speakers.

phemps
06-27-2013, 01:48 AM
I read this thread, and now my head is full of **** :rolleyes:

nismos14
06-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Get a HU with a bass and treble knob, and stop doing car audio:

TheCandyMan
06-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Get a HU with a bass and treble knob, and stop doing car audio:

Go suuuccckkk some dog cooooccckkkk! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!

nismos14
06-27-2013, 06:18 PM
You can't do this easy simple thing, how did you setup the sub then? How did you setup the crossover and gain?????????? Read a little bit and educate yourself.

TheCandyMan
06-27-2013, 09:50 PM
I know how to install a system and a cd player from experiance. When i make a video you'll see what i mean man it's complicated as **** and my ears can't tell if JUST the bass got lower in the stock speakers or not and there are LITERLY like 4 setting per speaker plus like 5 other things i can do. The previous HU I had was a kenwood before this with the motorized screen and it had a treble bass etc etc in the options this thing is just so bad *** and can do so much i get lost in it.

nismos14
06-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Waiting.

TheCandyMan
07-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Had to wait til i could use my bro's samsung galaxy s4 cuz the camera is sweet. here it is...

How do i tune my Kenwood X990 cd player - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5g9PlI_JAE&feature=youtu.be)

nismos14
07-03-2013, 06:58 AM
What is your current goal?

If you set the HPF for the front and rear to 100 hz or 80 hz and put it at -24db you'll have a pretty aggressive crossover on the front interiors, that will keep the bass out, but keep the midbass in.

The equalizer allows you to choose different frequencies where you would define how much of a cut or add you would do to that frequency. The lower the frequencies are, the more it affects bass, this is a decent rule of thumb:

20-80hz = subwoofer territory
80-500 hz = midbass
500-4000 = midrange
4000+ = tweeters.

If you want more highs adjust the frequency of one of the bands to a number greater than 4000 and adjust the gain of it up and down to see where the sweet spot is where you want to boost signal. Also try another band with another frequency above 4000 to see if you can get the results you want with a couple of boosted frequencies.

Other that those steps, take it to a shop if you don't want to deal with it.

nateberrier
07-03-2013, 07:20 AM
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/archive/b/b5/20100108063328!Exploding-head.gif

TheCandyMan
07-03-2013, 03:04 PM
What is your current goal?

If you set the HPF for the front and rear to 100 hz or 80 hz and put it at -24db you'll have a pretty aggressive crossover on the front interiors, that will keep the bass out, but keep the midbass in.

The equalizer allows you to choose different frequencies where you would define how much of a cut or add you would do to that frequency. The lower the frequencies are, the more it affects bass, this is a decent rule of thumb:

20-80hz = subwoofer territory
80-500 hz = midbass
500-4000 = midrange
4000+ = tweeters.

If you want more highs adjust the frequency of one of the bands to a number greater than 4000 and adjust the gain of it up and down to see where the sweet spot is where you want to boost signal. Also try another band with another frequency above 4000 to see if you can get the results you want with a couple of boosted frequencies.

Other that those steps, take it to a shop if you don't want to deal with it.

OK all i want is my treble up higher then stock and my bass to NOT come threw ANY of my 4 stock speakers and ONLY threw my subwoofer.
And i do not understand why i have 4 bands for the front and back speakers? Why do i have 4 instead of 1? Or is it so i can change it to a different setting if i'm listening to other types of music?
And wtf is Q Factor?
So basically i wanna put everything @ 4000 and all db negative as possible?

nismos14
07-03-2013, 03:31 PM
OK all i want is my treble up higher then stock and my bass to NOT come threw ANY of my 4 stock speakers and ONLY threw my subwoofer.
And i do not understand why i have 4 bands for the front and back speakers? Why do i have 4 instead of 1? Or is it so i can change it to a different setting if i'm listening to other types of music?
And wtf is Q Factor?
So basically i wanna put everything @ 4000 and all db negative as possible?
Because you can adjust 4 different frequencies.
Q factor is the width of the curve.
No. You need to raise the DB in the eq at 4000, don't put them all to 4000.

I give up.

TheCandyMan
07-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Because you can adjust 4 different frequencies.
Q factor is the width of the curve.
No. You need to raise the DB in the eq at 4000, don't put them all to 4000.

I give up.

See it's just like a said. The most confusing thing EVER in life and dumb as ****. They should just put the words treble,bass,and mid on the ******* cd player. Looks like i'm gonna have to take it to a shop... I come here for all my CA help and This is the 1st time you guys have let me down... :-(

I was hoping someone would say put the 1 option to 300hz put the other option to 30hz and so on when i made the video but u guys can't do that for me..

p.s. there is no lines going up and down on my cd player it all goes into X's which is retareded.

Silverado SS
07-04-2013, 06:00 PM
See it's just like a said. The most confusing thing EVER in life and dumb as ****. They should just put the words treble,bass,and mid on the ******* cd player. Looks like i'm gonna have to take it to a shop... I come here for all my CA help and This is the 1st time you guys have let me down... :-(

I was hoping someone would say put the 1 option to 300hz put the other option to 30hz and so on when i made the video but u guys can't do that for me..

p.s. there is no lines going up and down on my cd player it all goes into X's which is retareded.

He already told you how to set up the bands. Quit being a lil ***** and crying to us because you don't listen and obviously can't read

momax_powers
07-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Cant help someone who doesnt wanna learn

trumpet
07-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Q factor is explained with examples in the video I linked. I promise you won't find a more straightforward tutorial to a parametric eq than that.

clanderson
07-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Don't forget about this one! (http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Support/Tutorials/Parametric+Equalizer/Tutorial%3A+Parametric+Equalizer/287545)