PDA

View Full Version : help me fix my speaker tensil wire

calebkhill
06-19-2013, 08:26 AM
I broke the terminal from the basket, and tried super gluing it back. Worked for a while, but kept coming off.

After messing with it a few times lost all output on the speaker terminal. So I tried wrapping the speaker wire around the tensil wire. got sound, but noticed my other mid had more output.

So I noticed the very end off the tensil wire that's soldered to the terminal is worn. Touched the good end of tensil wire to terminal, and got clearer and louder sound. So now I know speaker wire to tensil wire is a bad idea.

How do I fix this without tearing it up.
And why does the terminal make a difference in the output? This is the negative terminal by the way.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a562/calebkhill/Mobile%20Uploads/PART_1371643218555_zpsa8f59dc2.jpg

black05alti
06-19-2013, 08:33 AM
JB Weld

hispls
06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Use a different type of glue. Wrapping wire around a moving part wasn't going to work well. If you must "direct connect" snip that terminal off and use a good quality barrel connector to crimp that and your speaker wire.

calebkhill
06-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Use a different type of glue. Wrapping wire around a moving part wasn't going to work well. If you must "direct connect" snip that terminal off and use a good quality barrel connector to crimp that and your speaker wire.

Thing is the output is louder and clearer speaker wire to terminal rather than speaker wire to tensil wire...

hispls
06-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Thing is the output is louder and clearer speaker wire to terminal rather than speaker wire to tensil wire...

Right, glue the terminal back where it's supposed to go then solder or use a crimp connector or whatever to attach wire to the terminal.

calebkhill
06-19-2013, 09:06 AM
The endof the tensil wire is worn, so I have to solder the wire back to the terminal.

My question is, why is the output louder and clear when the terminal is used.
Like I said, I touched the speaker wire directly to the tensil, but when I touch the speaker wire to the terminal, the output is louder and clearer.
Whether its connected to a terminal, or directly to the tensil itself, I didn't think it made a difference in the output.

trumpet
06-21-2013, 01:57 PM
If the tinsel lead has a coating on it that reduces conductivity then the speaker was getting less power.

keep_hope_alive
06-21-2013, 02:28 PM
one option for you, that's not ideal, but should work electrically: is to remove the terminal and solder speaker wire to the terminal. ensure the solder flows well into both wires. then heat shrink the connection. then use a zip tie to hold the new wire to the basket (through the hole and around the basket arm). ensure there is sufficient slack in the tinsel lead so you don't pull it out of the coil (then it's game over). that effort should give you a place to make a new connection (speaker wire) while maintaining the resistance of the speaker.

ideally, you would use appropriate glue to hold the terminal in place. you need to clean off the metal that the glue should bond to.