PDA

View Full Version : Does the port have to share the same face as woofer?

Villainstone
06-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Just wondering if the port and woofer need to be on the same face. I have seen designs were they werent but I have read that they should be (something about phase). Wjat are the pros and cons of each? I am thinking about making my port external. I have lots of design ideas bt not sure what are good and are not. My trunk is akward because its a hatch back. So I am tossing some things out there.

bassman_soundki
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Depends on car.
Some vehicles cabin gain is greater ported not on same plane

macsdad
06-18-2013, 01:51 PM
i have a hatch back, dodge caliber, i have my box sub up port back and it seems to be doing very well.

black05alti
06-18-2013, 02:10 PM
What kind of car do you have OP? It differs vehicle to vehicle.

Villainstone
06-18-2013, 09:16 PM
I have a 03 Tiburon GT. Its a hatchback type car but the hatch opens up not out like the Caliber if that makes sense lol. For my car I figured it would be best to have the post and sub on the same plane.

black05alti
06-19-2013, 12:28 AM
You're gonna have to find out by trying different set ups.. I'd think that subs + port back or subs up port back would be best for your car.

resonate
06-19-2013, 12:41 AM
If you truly want the best output for your vehicle, the only solution is testing, testing, and more testing. Build cheap boxes from inexpensive wood - when you find what works best for your application, build your final enclosure. :D

Villainstone
06-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Ok another question... Can I have a port outside of the box? I obviously am limited on trunk space. So what I was thinking is build my box to 2.5ft^3 and have the port run externally up the side of the box. Would I experience any issues with this design? It would also please me cosmetically as I can make the box symetrical like the way I wanted. Thanks again guys.

Buck
06-19-2013, 01:39 PM
You can have the port and sub on any plane, as long as it's tuned correctly.

Ports can be mounted outside of the box as well.

Villainstone
06-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks Buck still helping me lol. I would have just asked you but I didnt want to keep bugging you lol. Ill post the design I had in mind later tonight. Im at school right now.

Buck
06-19-2013, 02:43 PM
It's what I love to do man, ask away.

Villainstone
06-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Ok tonight I will send you an email explaining my akward situation and why I cnt just make a simple plain ol traditional slot port box. Thanks again Buck :)