PDA

View Full Version : Port length is measured from center right

Villainstone
06-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Im trying to determine port length. Now if I have a slot port that is suppose measure 13.5"W x 3"H x 30,25"L. Is that 30.25 inch length measured from the center? I believe so but need confirmation. Thank you

SMS
06-15-2013, 01:23 PM
yes,

SMS
06-15-2013, 01:30 PM
also deduct 1/2 port width(1.5") from total port length if your using the box as a port wall. hope that makes sense to you.

Villainstone
06-15-2013, 01:39 PM
I am using the bottom wall and the left wall as port walls. But im not sure what you are saying.

Hope this helps

gamehawk55
06-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I am using the bottom wall and the left wall as port walls. But im not sure what you are saying.

Hope this helps

Looking at that pic, are your subs going in the top of the box? Or the front? Cuz someone correct me if I'm wrong but if the subs are going in the top of the box won't he most likely have driver unloading problems with the sub that would be nearest the mouth of the port inside?

brandonkain82
06-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Looking at that pic, are your subs going in the top of the box? Or the front? Cuz someone correct me if I'm wrong but if the subs are going in the top of the box won't he most likely have driver unloading problems with the sub that would be nearest the mouth of the port inside?

I agree one hundred on this. Two different heights on loading.

gamehawk55
06-15-2013, 02:31 PM
I agree one hundred on this. Two different heights on loading.

Yeah I thought that was the case. Went through the same thing when I started designing some boxes in sketchup. But looking at his box it could go either way really (with 12's or smaller). But from what I've seen nobody goes subs back/port up. So that's why I assumed his subs would be facing up along with the port.

Villainstone
06-15-2013, 02:54 PM
There is only one sub so I dont think that applies does it? Driver is facing up so that the port and sub are on the same face.If thats is ok and the driver unload issue is also ok can I get feedback on the port. Thanks for the info btw hopefully it doesnt apply lol.

gamehawk55
06-15-2013, 05:13 PM
There is only one sub so I dont think that applies does it? Driver is facing up so that the port and sub are on the same face.If thats is ok and the driver unload issue is also ok can I get feedback on the port. Thanks for the info btw hopefully it doesnt apply lol.

Oh ok. Judging from the size of the box I assumed it was probably going to have more than 1 sub. Now that you say it's only one it will work fine as long as the whole sub is completely loading off of the same surface inside the box (ie; port wall). In other words dont position the sub so that half is over top of the port and other half is over top of the bottom wall. I'm fairly new to box design so I don't know all the inner workings of it, but at least my comment will give you a bump to hopeully get the answer your looking for.

Also maybe try giving Buck or Double07 a PM. They're the resident box builders/designers here and could probably help you out.