PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass materials list

bubbagumper6
06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Heading to the closest fiberglass supply store tomorrow to pick up the materials for building a sub enclosure. Just want to double check my list as this will be my first time with fiberglass.

This is what I have so far...
Fiberglass mat
Polyester Resin
Hardener
Fiberglass roller
Body filler? (I'm going to be carpeting the enclosure so is body filler necessary?)

Sandpaper
Respirator
Gloves
Mixing cups
Something to measure resin/hardener
Aluminum foil? (For covering large areas? Or should I just use large width masking tape?)
Masking tape
Drop cloth
Plush felt (thick polyester)
Super 77 Spray glue
Paint brushes
Acetone

I'm hoping the guy at the store will be helpful but any brands I should look for? I'm thinking I'll have to get the top group at the fiberglass store and the rest I can get (presumably cheaper) at a local hardware store.

bubbagumper6
06-13-2013, 08:28 AM
I forgot how devoid of technical knowledge this place is these days...I bet if I posted a Skar vs. Sundown thread I'd have 10 pages of replies by now >_>

tc300
06-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Why not get that uv flash resin???

phemps
06-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Why not get that uv flash resin???

Never seen this before? People using it with success? It sounds cool

pro-rabbit
06-13-2013, 11:05 AM
If you are using the spray glue to hold the fleece in place you may run into some problems there with it wanting to pull up. Also, a form of "bondo" is rather helpful. You can use it as a filler or as a build up tool if needed.

redrider
06-13-2013, 11:13 AM
yes body filler is needed.... just less body work is needed when doing carpet. seems like you pissed some people off.....

anyways you will find that the glass roller you wont use and just go with the paint brushes.... never used the roller always went with brushes. can cut the tips down on the brushes to stiffen them up to help prevent bubbles but if you get a good brand of resin(us composites or stuff from your local marina/boat store) then bubbles shouldnt happen(as much) since it lays down better with the matte etc......

and ******* use respirators when dealing with fiberglass lol

tommydh
06-13-2013, 11:30 AM
I PM'ed you a website to checkout. High quality resins at lower prices

bubbagumper6
06-14-2013, 08:22 AM
If you are using the spray glue to hold the fleece in place you may run into some problems there with it wanting to pull up. Also, a form of "bondo" is rather helpful. You can use it as a filler or as a build up tool if needed.

Yeah the guide I was following said to glue the fleece 2" past the edge and make sure not to soak that part with the resin or it will pull up.

seems like you pissed some people off.....

That dude's been riding my nuts for awhile now, he's not the first and he won't be the last. ;)

I PM'ed you a website to checkout. High quality resins at lower prices

Thanks for the help man

chefzane
06-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Bout to start this mess myself good luck I am interested in the link to the resins if u would like to share

tc300
06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Never seen this before? People using it with success? It sounds cool

Still pretty new.... My cousin got a gallon of it and LOVES it!! Doesn't harden till it gets uv rays and it takes place really quick! Just do a Google search

plugitin
06-14-2013, 03:49 PM
nutriders!

bhsdriller
06-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Still pretty new.... My cousin got a gallon of it and LOVES it!! Doesn't harden till it gets uv rays and it takes place really quick! Just do a Google search

not really new....been around for a while, Steve Meade buys it and put his label on it "UV Sun Flash" and sells it

If that's the brand you're talking about idk, if not carry on lol

04murdalanche
06-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Lol at the butthurt...

Op your list is good but you'll want some filler for sure. I reccomend bondo hold premium I think it's called, exact same **** as rage gold just not retarded expensive.. Good luck