PDA

View Full Version : Box Frequency

KJThaDon
06-10-2013, 03:21 AM
Can someone help me figure out what this box is tuned to?

I have all the dimensions, but have no idea how to calculate the frequency.

Material
MDF: "

Outside Dimensions
Width: 42 ⅛"
Height: 16 ⅛"
Depth: 26 "

Port Dimensions x3
Width: 12 ⅞"
Height: 2"
Depth: 21 ⅛"

nu2spl
06-10-2013, 03:51 AM
wow 21" long and only 2 x 13, 21" is about 28HZ, in that area.dont know exact but i hope that at least helps

KJThaDon
06-10-2013, 03:53 AM
wow 21" long and only 2 x 13, 21" is about 28HZ, in that area.dont know exact but i hope that at least helps

Errr. You think that's why it sounds half as loud as it should be on most songs lol

nu2spl
06-10-2013, 04:05 AM
lol yea that could do it,easiest thing to do is play something low like low test tones and see how it sounds start from 20HZ (go easy on the volume) and go up one by one 20HZ all the way up to say 35HZ

KJThaDon
06-10-2013, 04:52 AM
lol yea that could do it,easiest thing to do is play something low like low test tones and see how it sounds start from 20HZ (go easy on the volume) and go up one by one 20HZ all the way up to say 35HZ

Good idea! I will do that, thanks.

Anyone else know what it could be tuned to exactly?

RSDXzec
06-10-2013, 08:05 AM

Good idea! I will do that, thanks.

Anyone else know what it could be tuned to exactly?

Do what he said but don't just "see how it sounds"
Check for the frequency where there's minimum excursion and that will give you the tuning freq +/- 1hz
I've personally done this before, made a box tuned to 25.5hz and checked for minimum excursion I got it at 26hz. That was because I didn't account for sub displacement, but the box on its own would've been tuned a little lower.
Under the tuning freq subs experience higher uncontrolled excursion, over it it's controlled excursion, at it there is none. Although obviously you will get a little excursion unless it's tuned to the third decimal place lol.