PDA

View Full Version : How to do a pro audio setup in car.

eli346
06-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I would like to do a pro audio setup on my doors because i think it would be great for at bonfires and just for the loudness in general. Probably just a mid and tweet in each door for now. So this is a very budget build as these are going into my beater car. So what im not sure about is the crossover part. This is my head unit JVC EXAD KD-AVX1 DVD / CD receiver with 3" LCD screen at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_257KDAVX1/JVC-EXAD-KD-AVX1.html?search=jvc+KDAVX1&osp=jvc+kd-avx1&tp=20217#overview-tab)
So im going to need a 4 channel amp and a passive crossover for each side i believe? I see some of the big spl vehicles with tons of speakers in the doors how do they do the crossovers for those? I guess i just need someone to explain to me how it's done.

Xrojas13
06-09-2013, 05:27 PM
U can get some plye 61/2 for about 12 buck ea off partsexpress

Xrojas13
06-09-2013, 05:31 PM
2 woofers 1 tweeter

eli346
06-09-2013, 05:33 PM
U can get some plye 61/2 for about 12 buck ea off partsexpress
Those are the ones i plan on using havent really decided on a tweeter yet and do you mean 2 woofers and one tweeter per door? Is that so i can wire down to 4 ohm?

mlstrass
06-10-2013, 06:41 AM
I run mine active off the HU, but in the wife's ride I use HPF on the HU and FMOD's for LPF. That's to bandpass the mids, AQ supertweeters have a built in cap for HPF....

mlstrass
06-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Unfortunately most PA set ups seem to have NO xovers of any kind, just letting mids and tweets play full range. Tis one reason why PA gets such a bad rap in the ca world...

naughtyca
06-10-2013, 09:16 AM
8 ohms + 8 ohms = 4ohms

get all 8 ohms speakers and tweeters

parts express has that 5k passive crossover for tweeter $5 out those on each tweeter

get a low 2 channel amp to power your tweets, wire both 8 ohm tweeters to run 4ohm

get a mid level powered amp 2 channel for your mids wire both 8 ohm speakers to run 4ohm

most 2 channel amps will run at 2 ohms, if you ever need to add more speakers just drop the ohm load to 2 and you will be alright, for example if you add 2 more 8ohm tweeters it will drop the ohm load to 2 channel.

good luck

bhsdriller
06-10-2013, 12:06 PM
i run mine active off the hu, but in the wife's ride i use hpf on the hu and fmod's for lpf. That's to bandpass the mids, aq supertweeters have a built in cap for hpf....

fmod?

winkychevelle
06-10-2013, 12:35 PM
fmod?

It's a cap wired into the RCA line it plugs in like a barrel connection on the RCA. There cheap and easy to use

mlstrass
06-11-2013, 05:16 AM
8 ohms + 8 ohms = 4ohms

parts express has that 5k passive crossover for tweeter $5 out those on each tweeter

get a low 2 channel amp to power your tweets, wire both 8 ohm tweeters to run 4ohm

get a mid level powered amp 2 channel for your mids wire both 8 ohm speakers to run 4ohm

most 2 channel amps will run at 2 ohms, if you ever need to add more speakers just drop the ohm load to 2 and you will be alright, for example if you add 2 more 8ohm tweeters it will drop the ohm load to 2 channel.

good luck

Only thing I disagree with is that many A/B amps don't like running at 2ohm and will get hot and thermal protect. I prefer to use a 4ch bridged and run 2 8ohm mids per side.

RicksI30
06-11-2013, 06:48 AM
8 ohms + 8 ohms = 4ohms

good luck

Multiple tweeters are a bad idea...

naughtyca
06-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Multiple tweeters are a bad idea...

not in pro audio

RicksI30
06-11-2013, 01:29 PM
not in pro audio

There is absolutely no reason for multiple pairs of tweeters in a car.

naughtyca
06-11-2013, 01:31 PM
apparently you have not been to car shows lately

people do pro audio to get loud, if you want sq then yes 2 tweeters is enough

Kingstroker
06-11-2013, 01:36 PM
no reason for Pyle speakers in a car

Xrojas13
06-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Unless u wanna get loud for super cheap

trumpet
06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
If we're getting into ridiculous generalizations there's no reason for more than 1 subwoofer in a car. Multiple tweeters can work beautifully with the right execution.

Kingstroker
06-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Unless u wanna get loud for super cheap
I'm sure your right, but you will have absolutely no sound quality. How about PA horns?
BTW a bunch of loud cheap speakers will sound like a large transistor radio.

RicksI30
06-12-2013, 06:15 AM
apparently you have not been to car shows lately

people do pro audio to get loud, if you want sq then yes 2 tweeters is enough

Because monkey see monkey do....

Just because there are a lot of people doing it does not mean that it is a good idea.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

If we're getting into ridiculous generalizations there's no reason for more than 1 subwoofer in a car. Multiple tweeters can work beautifully with the right execution.

How, and why would there be any need for more than one pair?

mlstrass
06-12-2013, 06:36 AM
There is absolutely no reason for multiple pairs of tweeters in a car.

There is absolutely no reason for you to post in this thread....

mlstrass
06-12-2013, 06:40 AM
I'm sure your right, but you will have absolutely no sound quality. How about PA horns?
BTW a bunch of loud cheap speakers will sound like a large transistor radio.

When you're playing "music" around 160db's do you really think SQ is a concern?

I run Selenim PA mids (made by JBL), same ones used in stage monitors for smaller venues. They happen to sound just fine at normal levels and do a good job of keeping up when the time comes...

RicksI30
06-12-2013, 07:37 AM
There is absolutely no reason for you to post in this thread....

Do tell....

NASTY08IMPALA
06-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Do tell....

Because he has like 20 supertweets in the shaggin wagon

trumpet
06-12-2013, 12:51 PM
How, and why would there be any need for more than one pair?

Since I'm a sound quality guy I'll speak about what I know. There are situations where it's best to have your tweeter and woofer very close together. Some would say this situation is 100% of the time to achieve better clarity. With a factory door placement for the woofer this means using a coaxial speaker or a braxial system, which has a tweeter mounted on a bracket in a specific alignment above the woofer cone.

We know what happens when the sound is all coming from low in the door, generally. The sound is low as well. Staging and imaging suffers. One way to help this problem is to use an imaging tweeter system. This isn't just a second pair of tweeters in parallel with the main tweeters, as that would be a hot mess. With careful selection of the imaging tweeter, proper location and aiming, the right crossover implementation, and by adjusting the levels, the extra tweeters can seamlessly blend in and raise the stage above the dash.

Being receptive to this idea means throwing away the follow-the-herd mentality and putting to bed the rehashed installation technique of splitting the woofer and the tweeter by a couple of feet to get that A-pillar or dash tweeter location.

Kingstroker
06-12-2013, 08:46 PM
When you're playing "music" around 160db's do you really think SQ is a concern?

I run Selenim PA mids (made by JBL), same ones used in stage monitors for smaller venues. They happen to sound just fine at normal levels and do a good job of keeping up when the time comes...

My mistake, though if you wanted to listen to music SQ would be a concern but I guess that would be my preference and not the OP's. I've heard PA speakers in many venues and do not care for them used musically. Being you system is in a car(?) you may have it balanced better than a stage monitor.

TaylorFade
06-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Since I'm a sound quality guy I'll speak about what I know. There are situations where it's best to have your tweeter and woofer very close together. Some would say this situation is 100% of the time to achieve better clarity. With a factory door placement for the woofer this means using a coaxial speaker or a braxial system, which has a tweeter mounted on a bracket in a specific alignment above the woofer cone.

We know what happens when the sound is all coming from low in the door, generally. The sound is low as well. Staging and imaging suffers. One way to help this problem is to use an imaging tweeter system. This isn't just a second pair of tweeters in parallel with the main tweeters, as that would be a hot mess. With careful selection of the imaging tweeter, proper location and aiming, the right crossover implementation, and by adjusting the levels, the extra tweeters can seamlessly blend in and raise the stage above the dash.

Being receptive to this idea means throwing away the follow-the-herd mentality and putting to bed the rehashed installation technique of splitting the woofer and the tweeter by a couple of feet to get that A-pillar or dash tweeter location.

I did this in the STi. I ran coax in the doors with some "upstage" tweets in the sails crossed a 6khz. Was just lovely.

RicksI30
06-13-2013, 12:07 AM

Okay I understand your point but 99% of car audio guys are not doing it in that way. So I'll change my comment to 99% of people who run multiple sets in a vehicle would be better off with one properly setup pair. ;)

mlstrass
06-13-2013, 03:39 AM
Do tell....

OP didn't ask for opinions on PA set ups, he asked how to do it. You're obviously not a fan which is fine, so there really was no reason for you to respond...

mlstrass
06-13-2013, 03:41 AM

A few companies make "upstage" upgrades as you know, just for that purpose. I also think of line arrays in a 2ch set up, numerous tweeters and midranges and they can sound amazing. Not a car environment, but most listening rooms have plenty of reflection issues also.

mlstrass
06-13-2013, 03:45 AM
My mistake, though if you wanted to listen to music SQ would be a concern but I guess that would be my preference and not the OP's. I've heard PA speakers in many venues and do not care for them used musically. Being you system is in a car(?) you may have it balanced better than a stage monitor.

The ONLY speakers used for live performances are PA, so you've never been to a concert, club, jazz hall, or whatever and enjoyed the sound?

I have NO balance, I have LOUD :laugh: My only concern is tweeters aren't shrilly and mids aren't muddy or gravelly, so I guess it has some balance as it blends together pretty well.

eli346
06-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Alright here's my plan for the ultimate budget loud:
Amp:Amazon.com: MB Quart OA800.4 800-Watt 4-Channel Onyx Series Car Audio Amplifier: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQU1444/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1WRTEG7T8P2CK)
4 Mids: Amazon.com: PYLE-PRO PPA6 - 400 Watt Professional Premium PA 6'' Woofer: Musical Instruments (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00022OA4S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)
4 tweeters: Amazon.com: Goldwood GT-302/S 1/2" Mylar Dome Tweeter Shielded: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPRTM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A385A0XNQBW8HY)

Im going to try running the mids and tweets for each side on their own channel but i have a feeling it will give the mids not enough power and tweets way to much so i may bridge it to the mids and run the tweets of hu power just depends how they sound on different power levels ill have to try a few different setups.

quakerroatmeal
06-17-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't understand. What is a pro audio setup?

NASTY08IMPALA
06-17-2013, 02:21 PM

You.ve been on this site for 6 years and u dont know what a pa setup is.??..use the search button

hispls
06-17-2013, 02:54 PM

A bunch of really cheap mids, horns, and/or super tweeters. Generally sounds screechy or beamy.

quakerroatmeal
06-17-2013, 07:13 PM
You.ve been on this site for 6 years and u dont know what a pa setup is.??..use the search button

Weird I don't know why it posted that same post twice. Unless I'm seeing things. I've been on this website for a while yes. I was on and off most recently off for like 3-4 years barely getting back into it. The only thing I read about is sq/l/spl stuff. Sarcasm is too hard to detect online :)

2Dcore
06-17-2013, 07:37 PM

I run 2 of the 22" plye drivers in my van, they hit hard and clean very musical put them in to mess around and never took them out! Lol

bassman_soundki
06-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I have run pa speakers in my car, and prefer to run better sounding drivers.
There are some pa drivers that sound good.
I used B&C 6.5" mids and they sound really good, but the cost is high.
I have also used Beta 8s in my doors and they sound decent for pa driver and are way cheaper.
I bought some pyle drivers and ended up giving them to a friend as they were really nasal and cheap sounding (to me).
Everyone has different ears and standards, and this is just my experience.
I now run Usher 7"ers in my doors and put lots of power to them and they make me happy after lots of sound deadening.

I hope you find what you want for your needs.

2Dcore
06-17-2013, 07:44 PM
A bunch of really cheap mids, horns, and/or super tweeters. Generally sounds screechy or beamy.

That's not completley true, yes some of the cheap stuff probably does but I use the fosgate pro tweets and they sound awesome, before I got them my buddy was trying to talk me out of them, then he heard and was surprised how good they sound. Buy good stuff, setup right, it works. Don't get me wrong I won't be winning any sq comps with it but it's loud and clear.

d77543020
06-17-2013, 10:05 PM
pa is one of those things you either love or hate if you got a crazy sub stage and dont have enough money for proper mids and highs that can keep up just throw in some cheap pa mids and tweets and your good to go

Kingstroker
06-18-2013, 01:35 AM
I run 2 of the 22" plye drivers in my van, they hit hard and clean very musical put them in to mess around and never took them out! Lol

Just goes to show ya different people have different taste, kind of like to girls and one cup

mlstrass
06-19-2013, 03:42 AM
Amp:Amazon.com: MB Quart OA800.4 800-Watt 4-Channel Onyx Series Car Audio Amplifier: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQU1444/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1WRTEG7T8P2CK)
4 Mids: Amazon.com: PYLE-PRO PPA6 - 400 Watt Professional Premium PA 6'' Woofer: Musical Instruments (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00022OA4S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)
4 tweeters: Amazon.com: Goldwood GT-302/S 1/2" Mylar Dome Tweeter Shielded: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPRTM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A385A0XNQBW8HY)

Im going to try running the mids and tweets for each side on their own channel but i have a feeling it will give the mids not enough power and tweets way to much so i may bridge it to the mids and run the tweets of hu power just depends how they sound on different power levels ill have to try a few different setups.

I wouldn't do those tweeters. Get a pair of AQ supertweeters at the minimum. Those tweets will NOT keep up at all with those mids.

Do NOT overpower the mids or they will sound like ***. Make sure you have them bandpassed. Playing too low will limit power handling and sound bad, playing too high they will sound muddy/distorted.

GL and let us know how it turns out...

mlstrass
06-19-2013, 03:51 AM

I hope you're kidding or only referring to the crap set ups you've personally seen/heard. Go to USSpeakers and check out some of the prices on decent/good stuff. I wouldn't call $200-300 for a 6.5" mid cheap, especially if you have 4 per door...

hispls
06-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I hope you're kidding or only referring to the crap set ups you've personally seen/heard. Go to USSpeakers and check out some of the prices on decent/good stuff. I wouldn't call $200-300 for a 6.5" mid cheap, especially if you have 4 per door...

Implying that 999 out of a thousand "pa setups" isn't exactly what I described, or that what I described isn't precisely what OP is doing?

black05alti
06-19-2013, 09:48 AM

I'd just do 2 tweets and 4 mids

mlstrass
06-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Implying that 999 out of a thousand "pa setups" isn't exactly what I described, or that what I described isn't precisely what OP is doing?

His budget stuff can sound just fine if set up properly. I've messed with $1 PE horns before, made them sound surprisingly good.

And NO not 999 out of 1000 since I have 3 diff PA set ups that all sound very good and have built several more for others on my team. Maybe 990 out of 1000 then :p:

RicksI30
06-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Can we agree that most pa setups in cars sound like ****? Just because you have seen or done it right does not make it the norm.

RicksI30
06-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Anyway op hopefully you are happy with your setup, and if you are then who cares what everyone else thinks.

mlstrass
06-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Can we agree that most pa setups in cars sound like ****? Just because you have seen or done it right does not make it the norm.

It's the norm for me. And yes I've heard some horrible PA set ups. I've also heard horrible comp set ups, coax's, and factory speakers. Does that mean ALL speakers are bad :crazy:

RicksI30
06-20-2013, 07:10 AM
It's the norm for me. And yes I've heard some horrible PA set ups. I've also heard horrible comp set ups, coax's, and factory speakers. Does that mean ALL speakers are bad :crazy:

Yes all speakers ****, that was my point.....

In the end it's not really about the equipment it's about the install and application. Almost anything can sound good it's just about how you use it, which again I'll say that most people using pa gear in cars are not doing it right.

hispls
06-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Does that mean ALL speakers are bad :crazy:

Actually you could make a very good case for that. The inherent inefficiency and distortion, uneven dispersion of sound.... Most of them are messy enough in an anechoic chamber.