PDA

View Full Version : Material I could use to mould to the wheel well as part of the enclosure?

RSDXzec
06-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Thinking about taking out the spare tyre and using that space if possible for enclosure space. I'm making a bandpass box for an XFL 15" and everybody knows the more volume the better. So anything I could use in the wheel well then screw it to some wood to continue the box would be fantastic.

Cheers.

V8SRSLO
06-06-2013, 03:41 AM
you could use fiberglass, then staple some felt to the wood in your box and resin it to make the transition.

RSDXzec
06-06-2013, 03:47 AM
you could use fiberglass, then staple some felt to the wood in your box and resin it to make the transition.

I'll be looking into that, is there a certain thickenss or quality of fibreglass I'd need to work with for a 15" pushing 1500watts in a BP 6th enclosure?

tommydh
06-06-2013, 04:50 AM
I would make a mold of the wheel well Its done by masking off thae area good then laying the resin and I generally use a cloth for this stage or chop mat but thin but not too thin so removal is easier. Once out and added to enclosure generally it should be as thick as the MDF. US composites .com will have everything youneed.

V8SRSLO
06-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Chop mat and resin will build up fast and is pretty strong. Is the box going to have to be built in the car to make the space req?

RSDXzec
06-07-2013, 01:35 AM
I would make a mold of the wheel well Its done by masking off thae area good then laying the resin and I generally use a cloth for this stage or chop mat but thin but not too thin so removal is easier. Once out and added to enclosure generally it should be as thick as the MDF. US composites .com will have everything youneed.

Sweet, good to know. Except I'm in Australia so I'll be trying to get everything locally.

Chop mat and resin will build up fast and is pretty strong. Is the box going to have to be built in the car to make the space req?

The box will "work" without all this hassle but it will sound better if it's built into the car due to the larger volume available.

Doe anybody know of anyone that's done this before? formed the box into the wheel well?

V8SRSLO
06-07-2013, 03:43 PM
there are a few build threads ive seen with that done. I havent looked to see the rules here about linking other forums, so i wont post a direct link but search google for " BERYLLIUM BMW 323ci ". that is a beautiful job done forming the wheel well.

tommydh
06-07-2013, 09:38 PM
My advice is to google fiberglass enclosures and youll see a ton of pix some may be completely different than your search but there are a couple that are what you want. I would try an auto bodysupply shop there to purchase the resin and materials they will carry the quality stuff or online if any place is there

tommydh
06-07-2013, 09:41 PM
The site i mentioned earlier does ship international