PDA

View Full Version : Nexus7 as HU, will this work?

Sung
06-05-2013, 05:56 AM

I figured out whole setup like the picture.
What do you think guys?

whitedragon551
06-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Theoretically it would work, but using the 3.5mm cables will sound like garbage add in an amplifier to magnify that crappy signal and you have a recipe for a bad listening experience.

Sung
06-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Theoretically it would work, but using the 3.5mm cables will sound like garbage add in an amplifier to magnify that crappy signal and you have a recipe for a bad listening experience.

Thanks for your advise. Then, what do you recommend?
What should I do to get good listening experience?

whitedragon551
06-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks for your advise. Then, what do you recommend?
What should I do to get good listening experience?

Use a headunit instead of a tablet or smart phone.

TRoshell
06-05-2013, 11:09 PM
You could run it through a head unit. I connected my in dash iPad through my HU via a/v cables. I know you could convert over to digital for SQ but that get's pricey.

Dirtrider4eva
06-05-2013, 11:12 PM
OP. your best option would be to buy a USB Headunit. and run it from the HU. if youre set on a touch based unit, get a Double din unit.

fasfocus00
06-05-2013, 11:33 PM
i don't see what all the hate on a 3.5mm jack is for. just b/c he uses a headphone jack doesn't mean he's going to have bad sound quality. sound quality is more dependent on the actual source it originates from. if he is using a good recording than going through a headphone jack and the unit producing the sound doesn't distort that source he should be fine. i've done a few systems using an iPod or the like, using the headphone jack into a 1/2 din eq. all sounded just fine.

ulao
06-06-2013, 12:02 AM
I ran a tablet (aka mp3 car) for years. Absolutely loved it, was windows based though. I'm now convinced that age is over. With HU's like AVIC and what not. I made a thread on that here ( ok never mind I can post urls ), see my only other thread.

If you go the mp3 car route and have questions, ask I have a lot of experience in it.

d77543020
06-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Google Nexus 7 in the Dash of Dodge Ram | Part 1 of 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0o1zkqEuec)

Sung
06-06-2013, 07:31 AM
i don't see what all the hate on a 3.5mm jack is for. just b/c he uses a headphone jack doesn't mean he's going to have bad sound quality. sound quality is more dependent on the actual source it originates from. if he is using a good recording than going through a headphone jack and the unit producing the sound doesn't distort that source he should be fine. i've done a few systems using an iPod or the like, using the headphone jack into a 1/2 din eq. all sounded just fine.

I actually listen only high quality mp3 files or flac files. This is also why I'm trying to start this project.

whitedragon551
06-06-2013, 07:33 AM

It does mean it will be bad quality. 3.5mm outputs are known to sound like crap. Even the best 3.5mm output will not sound as good as headunit setup properly without dumping gobs of money into it.

Sung
06-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Google Nexus 7 in the Dash of Dodge Ram | Part 1 of 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0o1zkqEuec)

it sounds quite nice in this video.

Sung
06-06-2013, 07:49 AM
I ran a tablet (aka mp3 car) for years. Absolutely loved it, was windows based though. I'm now convinced that age is over. With HU's like AVIC and what not. I made a thread on that here ( ok never mind I can post urls ), see my only other thread.

If you go the mp3 car route and have questions, ask I have a lot of experience in it.

Do you have any ideas about connecting steering wheel control to tablet? I saw someone did it with Arduino BT.

d77543020
06-06-2013, 10:38 AM
i think only hardcore audiophiles will be able to hear the difference between 3mm and a dock caues when i use my ipod the 3mm sounds just as good as running it thru a usb

blazeplacid
06-06-2013, 10:49 AM
My galaxy note 2's 3.5mm jack runs straight into my audison bit ten d and it sounds great.

It sounds just as good as the USB in the head unit.

Eagle - Hotel California Live sounds amazing running from my Note.
Flac files sound great though the phone.

I think if the OP wanted ultra high end sound he wouldn't be running a tablet in the dash.

I think you will be very happy with the sound.

fasfocus00
06-06-2013, 12:44 PM
It does mean it will be bad quality. 3.5mm outputs are known to sound like crap. Even the best 3.5mm output will not sound as good as headunit setup properly without dumping gobs of money into it.

proof of degraded sound quality via RTA? anyone can say something sounds like crap but what is the evidence that it actually is crap. this is like saying that Power Acoustik sounds like crap but yet I have a few installs that I've done with Power Acoustik stuff that no one says they sound like crap. also dumping gobs of money? most of the money is in the purchase of the tablet. you can get a good quality 1/2 din EQ for less than $75 and that'll give you 3 sets of higher volt pre amp outs than most head units will give you. grant it most tablets (Kindle Fire HDs have dolby audio) will only give you a mono sound out, for most ppl they either don't care or can't tell the difference with music only. it's not like the OP is going for an SQ only type of system, chances are he just wants a good sounding system that is based around his tablet. I have yet to do a tablet based system and have the person say it sounds like crap or that they wished they would have used a $400 HU with a $500 tablet. using a headunit with a tablet will almost always cost more than just using a tablet with a sound processor, obviously this is dependent on the sound processor. with the recent increase in tablet integration to car audio, there will be minimal sound difference between using a USB to HU connection versus using a tablets headphone jack to RCA. there may be a small difference is sound but it will be nothing that any human ear can detect. this is a "butt dyno" comparison, some saying that they installed an eBay intake and they can feel the increase of 3HP on a stock Honda Civic.

Sung
06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
proof of degraded sound quality via RTA? anyone can say something sounds like crap but what is the evidence that it actually is crap. this is like saying that Power Acoustik sounds like crap but yet I have a few installs that I've done with Power Acoustik stuff that no one says they sound like crap. also dumping gobs of money? most of the money is in the purchase of the tablet. you can get a good quality 1/2 din EQ for less than $75 and that'll give you 3 sets of higher volt pre amp outs than most head units will give you. grant it most tablets (Kindle Fire HDs have dolby audio) will only give you a mono sound out, for most ppl they either don't care or can't tell the difference with music only. it's not like the OP is going for an SQ only type of system, chances are he just wants a good sounding system that is based around his tablet. I have yet to do a tablet based system and have the person say it sounds like crap or that they wished they would have used a $400 HU with a $500 tablet. using a headunit with a tablet will almost always cost more than just using a tablet with a sound processor, obviously this is dependent on the sound processor. with the recent increase in tablet integration to car audio, there will be minimal sound difference between using a USB to HU connection versus using a tablets headphone jack to RCA. there may be a small difference is sound but it will be nothing that any human ear can detect. this is a "butt dyno" comparison, some saying that they installed an eBay intake and they can feel the increase of 3HP on a stock Honda Civic.

Thanks for your advise

Sung
06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
i think only hardcore audiophiles will be able to hear the difference between 3mm and a dock caues when i use my ipod the 3mm sounds just as good as running it thru a usb

I'm not a hardcore audiophile, maybe a semi. Maybe I should go to some local car audio shop and listen what they think.

Sung
06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
My galaxy note 2's 3.5mm jack runs straight into my audison bit ten d and it sounds great.

It sounds just as good as the USB in the head unit.

Eagle - Hotel California Live sounds amazing running from my Note.
Flac files sound great though the phone.

I think if the OP wanted ultra high end sound he wouldn't be running a tablet in the dash.

I think you will be very happy with the sound.

Thanks for your advise. I was thinking about Audison One, too. but it's too pricey.

fasfocus00
06-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm not a hardcore audiophile, maybe a semi. Maybe I should go to some local car audio shop and listen what they think.

i would not do that unless that shop has actually done a tablet only install. every shop that you go to that has not done a tablet only install will tell you "it wont work", "it'll sound like crap", etc.... that'll be like going into Best Buy and talking to those guys about aquariums. if you go to a local shop ask them if they have done a tablet install in a dash, if they say yes ask for pics of the install. if they say no to either of those questions say thank you for your time and walk away. if they say yes to both and you like ask if they person they did the install for still comes around the shop b/c you'd like to hear it. any reputable shop that does this type of custom work will be more than happy to provide you with these things b/c the person that they did the install for is serious about car audio or technology and is most likely at that shop every couple of weeks just to look around.

ulao
06-06-2013, 11:40 PM
There is a better forum suited for this
nexus 7 as head unit in a car - Android Forums (http://androidforums.com/android-media/728159-nexus-7-head-unit-in-car.html#post5885479)

I have used my nexus 4 with audio out and thru my amp it sounds great. I'm considering this on my next HU. I figure it cant hurt to try. Keep an eye on that post.