PDA

View Full Version : Dual sub box question

will6749
06-04-2013, 05:35 PM
What are the pros/cons of having 2 subs in a shared enclosure space with a single port vs. Dividing the box in 2 compartments so each sub will have its own space and port?

mlstrass
06-05-2013, 04:52 AM
common chamber normally doesn't require as large of an enclosure, so if space is an issue that's a plus.

I only build common chamber/single port boxes....

V8SRSLO
06-06-2013, 03:44 AM
some subs are like people and dont play well with others :) so they should have seperate chambers. iirc you can use to thiele par. to tell if subs will be ok in common chambers. I normally just ask the build company

mlstrass
06-06-2013, 04:13 AM
some subs are like people and dont play well with others :) so they should have seperate chambers. iirc you can use to thiele par. to tell if subs will be ok in common chambers. I normally just ask the build company

Have never heard that one before. Where did you see/read this?

Chriszle
06-06-2013, 04:21 AM
Downfall of a common chamber is if one sub blows, you run the risk of damaging the other one. Upside of a common chamber, is that it takes up less space.

V8SRSLO
06-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Have never heard that one before. Where did you see/read this? The exact person or place I cannot recall, I used to be in big into audio comps 20 years ago, thats when I heard that. I currently own a car performance shop and over the last year have been getting back into the audio scene. Things change with time, maybe it doesnt matter anymore due to the constructions of current subs with high excursion and motor force. maybe it never made a difference and was a wives-tale. Its been forever but iirc it has to do with standing wave development, impedence rise and Q, its been a long time so maybe ill learn something here if someone with more knowledge chimes in.

will6749
06-07-2013, 03:44 PM
ok thanks.

Buck
06-07-2013, 03:47 PM
I prefer common chambers on ported and 1 chamber per sub on sealed, even in bandpasses.