PDA

View Full Version : How to measure volume

cfox10
05-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Best method for measuring the volume of my fiberglass molded box. It's got a few rounded edges, and molded shapes.

My JL 12w3v3 is overwhelmingly louder than either my gcon, and my pioneer champion pro. It's a sealed enclosure. The problem with the JL is it bottoms out when it's getting too much power or else I'd keep using it. I'm wondering if I need more layers of fiberglass to make sure it's sealed (I have about 5 layers already and it's very solid.

i2ain2thunder
05-30-2013, 03:22 PM
um get the dimensions and do math? LOL

you could approximate it...or, you will have to do some complex calculations. I haven't really done much in the way of calculating irregular volumes, but you can do it a couple ways to the best of my knowledge, 1 milileter=1cubic centimeter...you could fill a container with water, measure the milileters, then place the enclosure in it and measure again...would be the easiest way I can think of it if can get wet.

cfox10
05-30-2013, 03:26 PM
um get the dimensions and do math? LOL

you could approximate it...or, you will have to do some complex calculations. I haven't really done much in the way of calculating irregular volumes, but you can do it a couple ways to the best of my knowledge, 1 milileter=1cubic centimeter...you could fill a container with water, measure the milileters, then place the enclosure in it and measure again...would be the easiest way I can think of it if can get wet.

I know to measure it lol...

The problem is... it's finished, and atm carpeted.. might rip the carpet off, smooth it out a bit more and paint it. How would I check for an air leak? If I push on the woofer cone it has not resistance/pressure.. I'm assuming an air leak is at least one culprit. So, at the moment it can't really get wet. I'm trying to save space while having some good low end in my car... the two don't go together very well.

i2ain2thunder
05-30-2013, 03:29 PM
well to check for air leaks, feel for air coming out. If you really wanna get hardcore with it, take the sub out, seal the opening and insert an air compressor blower. blow air in and check for air leaks again by feel or hear. If you can't get it wet then you are going to have to guess the volume. Unless there is some method I don't know about.

cfox10
05-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Well... I'll pull the sub out this weekend, probably do another layer of glass on the inside just for good measure and seal the edges with foam. If I have to I'll go back to an MDF box and just run it across the back of the trunk with one sub... should be plenty of volume that way.

Chriszle
05-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Fill it with packing peanuts, or something similar. After you fill it, empty the peanuts into something that you know the dimensions of. The smaller the material you use, the more accurate it will be.

i2ain2thunder
05-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Fill it with packing peanuts, or something similar. After you fill it, empty the peanuts into something that you know the dimensions of. The smaller the material you use, the more accurate it will be.

haha genius, I figured there had to be an easier way. Yeah fill it with something small and accurate, then put that into a square container big enough to hold it, should just be an easy lxwxh calculation from there.

Chriszle
05-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Doesn't even have have to be big enough to hold it. Just fill it, dump it out, and refill it.

cfox10
05-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Doesn't even have have to be big enough to hold it. Just fill it, dump it out, and refill it.

Genius... Thank you!

Chriszle
05-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Genius... Thank you!

No problem.

Shroomic
06-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Also for leak checking you'd need to take off carpet but fill box with smoke and see if it escapes. Just keep flame away from the fiberglass