PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood kdc-x796 firmware update

inspector3711
05-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Got my new Kenwood awhile back. I'm trying to update the firmware. I burned it to a CD and followed the owners manual instructions. I keep getting a message that the disc contains no data. When I look at it on my PC I can see the file.

Any ideas?

sbelew
05-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Try updating it from a flash drive.

inspector3711
05-28-2013, 05:07 PM
I tried that too (like we did on my wife's x797), but apparently this unit only accepts updates from a CD according to the manual... If I go into the menu for the firmware update, the head unit only checks the CD drive....

sbelew
05-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Just some other things to check, did you close the cd when you burned it? was it the only file on the cd? Read this guide and verify you are following instructions step by step. http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/receiver/firmware/2012/pdf/12FLIP_FWverup_en.pdf

inspector3711
05-29-2013, 12:11 AM
Ahh.. I'll give that a shot tomorrow after work and let you know. Thanks!

liquidseparate
12-17-2013, 03:36 AM
You probably may have solved the problem at this point. I just encountered the same problem with the power being randomly off within the last couple of weeks. I just found out about the firmware update tonight through searching around the net. So to add, I used a flash drive to update the firmware. The update file downloaded from Kenwood has to be the first file listed on the flash drive, cannot be renamed, and cannot be placed inside a folder. When I downloaded it, the file was the last listed on the flash drive and did not work when tried. Once I moved the file to the top and retried the update, everything worked out fine. Just make sure to detach the faceplate, hit the reset button with a paperclip or whatever to finalize the update. The step by step instructions are on Kenwood a paragraph above the update file. Should be the last time I should have to use the reset button hopefully.

Side Show
12-17-2013, 03:48 AM
you may need to put it into a file/folder or something named UPDATE

if ya cant sort it out, call kenwood they will walk you trough it on the phone