PDA

View Full Version : New Components..

~eaze~
05-19-2013, 06:18 PM
okay so after getting my pioneer avh-p4400bh a few months ago, i finally saved about $400 and i am now ready for my next upgrade. The double din is the only car audio upgrade i have, im guessing the next upgrade should be a component set right? so far i have been looking into the ID's Ctx65cs, i know these are pretty good but what other good alternatives are there that would top these? how much better are the CXS62 V2 vs the CTX65cs??

Im basically looking for some component speakers to compliment my dd (avh-p4400bh) and looking to get some subs (or amp) later in the future as well, main thing though is a HQ crisp sound with not too bright of a tweeter, any suggestions or input on what my next setup should be would be appreciated.

Milk Mayne
05-19-2013, 06:57 PM
If you don't want a "bright" tweeter, I'd suggest looking into component sets with soft dome silk tweets. For your setup, I would get a component set and an amp to run them at the same time, just for an easier installation, since you'll already have the panels off. That and there's not a huge difference to me running a good comp set on a measly 10-15 watts. There's definitely budget amps that will put out plenty of power for components for cheap. I picked up a 200 watt 2 channel kicker for less than $100 new, and it runs my set well enough for what it is. Of course, there's plenty of other options out there for amps if you wanna jump on the Kicker hate train. Personally, I think they do pretty good if you can get them at the right price point. That and they're 10x easier to resell in the future due to brand recognition if you plan to upgrade.

The biggest difference in those two component sets you listed is the operating load. If you you plan on running a 2 ohm load, go with the 62s, if a 4 ohm load, go with the 65s. Either set would work well on 100-150 watts.

sbelew
05-19-2013, 07:20 PM
The JBL MS-62c seems to be the hot setup right now. Look up the user name trumpet on here, I think he can help you out with these.

I run the Massive Audio CK6X in my car and am very happy with them. They have significantly improved the sound quality of these over the last few versions. I have an earlier set, (CK6iii) in my truck and the tweets are a bit harsh. I had to set them to -3 on the crossover and throw some eq'ing to them to get them to smooth out and Im still not as happy with them as the 6x set. I am running totally flat on EQ with the tweets set at 0 on the crossover.

~eaze~
05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
hmm not too well versed on ohm loads other then than they add some sort of resistance..

so in other words is it worth to pay the extra dough for the ID CXS64 over the CTX65CS??

Bobfig
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
well im going with some phd fb6.1 pro and a ppi p600.2 for around $450 ish. if you just get the regular phd fb6.1 and the ppi bk340.2 you could get it to around $400 without the wires.

maylar
05-20-2013, 05:06 PM
It's hard to judge speakers by the specs on a web site. Hopefully someone will chime in with personal experience.. I have none with ID.

I will say though that both sets would want to be amped. Your HU won't do them anywhere near justice.

Bobfig
05-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Agree, I do see reviews seem to like them for their price range but most of them depends on how good the install is.

asianinvasion21
05-20-2013, 06:06 PM
I have ctx65 speakers and I have them amped off of a linear power 952. Personally to me these are some of the nicest sounding entry level component speakers. I have heard other $400 sets and to me these sounded up there with them. They are pretty bright as far as I am concerned, but I actually like my speakers a little bright. IMO use the extra you where gunna spend on the cxs and buy a budget amp for these if you want them to shine. If you want a mellow tweeter I would buy an old school set of components like ads or something similar. Most new speakers have a bright sound to the tweeter.