PDA

View Full Version : Advice would be greatly appreciated please!

JayWheezy
05-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Alright, so to start off, I just want to apologize ahead of time if anything I asked seems stupid, but I'm still pretty new to car audio. I've been doing a few hours of research and still haven't came up with anything solid yet. I am planning on getting 2 IDQ v.4 12's for the back of my 2004 xterra. And I was thinking of attempting to build a box for them, but first I need to come up with the plans. So I was wondering what you guys would probably do, I was thinking about building an angled, downfiring ported box, and building it to ID's specs for the sub. First off, I wanted to know how you guys think that box would work out. I would also appreciate any suggestions. I was thinking slanted and downfiring, to try and save a little space for my gear as I am in the military and have to keep some stuff in my vehicle, and to of course, protect the subs. Now for probably, stupid question. In coming up with plans for the box, ID's recommends a volume of 1.9 cu. ft., and a port of 4" round x 13.80" long, with 0 to 3 pounds of polyfill. Now my question is, would these recommendations double with two of the subwoofers, such as 3.8 cu.ft.? And lastly, if I build the box to their recommendations correctly, there wouldn't be any need for polyfill correct? Again, any information is greatly appreciated, as i've looked all of this up quite a bit, but i may just be overthinking everything. Thank you very much.

Bass-in-Chevy93
05-18-2013, 05:09 AM
I would download Torres box tuner, figure out what the box needs to be tuned to, to match the woofers. Plug in the dimensions in Torres calculator an play with the calculator that matches what you like.

Bass-in-Chevy93
05-18-2013, 05:10 AM
Yea it would double, jus not the hz. Jus the cubes. If imnot mistaken

Durango03
05-18-2013, 06:58 AM
a sketch of said box would help.. I believe I know what your implying, but a visual aid is always best. with that said, if you build that enclosure to specs (yes twice the subs = twice the required area.. DO NOT double the port tuning though, that strickly the available space within the enclosure) then it should work.. but from my understanding of your enclosure design, it wouldnt be optimal to say the least. If you ok with a bit of a sub-par performance then everything else seems to be inline.

NIHL8ION
05-18-2013, 08:33 AM
I'd go with subs up, port back & just get some grills for the subs to protect them...

JayWheezy
05-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Alright, I was planning on downloading that calculator and messing around with it. Thanks for the advice, there's probably not a free version of those programs you guys use for box designs is there? Also, what would be a better setup? Why would you do subs up, port back?