PDA

View Full Version : 3-way Component (6x9?)

clickclickw00t
05-15-2013, 11:29 PM
I have a 2012 Scion TC with an audioque HDC312 and AQ 2200.1D for the low end, I have a pair of Alpine Type R components running to an MRP-F240 (90W a side). I have the stock fronts which are amped by the factory amp (from what I have seen on the forums the amp is 300W, so 150 a side)

I want to get a new set of components for the front. Ideally I'd like to run them off the same factory amp. I know the crossover is built into the 6x9, so I should have no problems crossing them over.

Now, I want to know if I should try and search for a 3-way component system with a 6x9 for the sub, or just go with a 6.5. I know 6x9s are gonna be way harder to find, but do you think it is worth it? I do enjoy having my sub crossed at 63hz and pushing 63hz+ from the front doors, and 100hz+ from the rears. Should my fronts and rears be crossed over at the same point?

mylows10
05-15-2013, 11:37 PM
cross the rears at 120 hrtz ,they are just fill any way .if you want components ,6x9, , the new cdt 6x9 2 or 3 way components, basically the difference is the crossover and the mids or lack there of .the 3 way set will take 250 rms per side and the 2 way set will take 200 per side ,i have pics as well if you like .the 6x9 mid woofer is the cdt es 690 gold set ,the mids are the the hd 2 and the tweets are the hd 100 silk dome tweets,the crssovers are either the mx 1000 sx or the es 200 us

zako
05-17-2013, 09:48 AM
I have a 2012 Scion TC with an audioque HDC312 and AQ 2200.1D for the low end, I have a pair of Alpine Type R components running to an MRP-F240 (90W a side). I have the stock fronts which are amped by the factory amp (from what I have seen on the forums the amp is 300W, so 150 a side)

I want to get a new set of components for the front. Ideally I'd like to run them off the same factory amp. I know the crossover is built into the 6x9, so I should have no problems crossing them over.

Now, I want to know if I should try and search for a 3-way component system with a 6x9 for the sub, or just go with a 6.5. I know 6x9s are gonna be way harder to find, but do you think it is worth it? I do enjoy having my sub crossed at 63hz and pushing 63hz+ from the front doors, and 100hz+ from the rears. Should my fronts and rears be crossed over at the same point?

If you want to do it properly, go with a 3-way. If you want max SQ, go with 3-way active (so add an external DSP, like JBL MS-8). I think having a 6x9 speaker up front is worth it. I wouldn't replace it with a 6.5. speaker. Being a large speaker, any 6x9 speaker faces challenges. For one, they usually don't play upper midrange frequencies very well. For large speakers, the beaming frequency is lower, so their off axis dispersion suffers. At the same time, a typical tweeter would be really strained to meet a 6x9 woofer. So, ideally 3-way is the way to go. But passive crossovers are almost never right as your car's acoustical properties are unlike of any other car. A passive crossover is big compromise with regards to level matching and so on.. That's why I said ideally you need to run 3-way active. Otherwise, I'd probably just leave the factory speakers in place. From my experience, Toyota factory speakers aren't bad to begin with.

trumpet
05-17-2013, 10:56 AM
But passive crossovers are almost never right as your car's acoustical properties are unlike of any other car. A passive crossover is big compromise with regards to level matching and so on.. That's why I said ideally you need to run 3-way active. Otherwise, I'd probably just leave the factory speakers in place. From my experience, Toyota factory speakers aren't bad to begin with.

Running the speakers active with more power and an MS-8 would be an amazing upgrade. It would surpass what the best 3-way passive crossover can offer by far.

clickclickw00t
05-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Running the speakers active with more power and an MS-8 would be an amazing upgrade. It would surpass what the best 3-way passive crossover can offer by far.

Would that mean I would need some kind of 6-channel amp? one channel for each of the speakers? Where can I find a moderately priced 6 channel amp?

trumpet
05-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Would that mean I would need some kind of 6-channel amp? one channel for each of the speakers? Where can I find a moderately priced 6 channel amp?

It can be cheaper to get a 2-channel amp and a 4-channel amp than to get a 6-channel amp. You'll pay at least $500 for a 6-channel amp, whereas I would start at about $300 for 2 good amps to equal 6 channels.

You can start with a passive 3-way set and later start upgrading to more channels. You can do the 6x9s on their own channels and do the mids and tweeters on passives with 2 more channels, for example.