PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help choosing mid's!

JagMan 98
05-14-2013, 09:35 PM
just got a 2003 XK8 convertible with premium sound. Want to replace the entire stock system with:
-Infinity Kappa 60.11CS 6-3/4" component speaker system (front and rear)
-one of these three mid's (help me choose!)
Peerless 830970....Hi-Vi DMB-A 2" Fabric Dome Midrange...Aurasound NSW2-326-8AT 2"
-alpine pdx-5 amp
-kicker 10-inch Solo-Baric L3 Series Car Audio Subwoofer with dual voice coil

What do you think?

Really wanted the Alpine PDX-V9....was also considering the Cerwin Vega Stealth 800.5.

How do you feel about EACH of the amps and EACH of the mid's?

trumpet
05-14-2013, 10:43 PM
I don't think the full range Cerwin Vega Stealth amps have shipped yet, just the mono amps. If you for sure can get the 800.5 let me know.

I would use different speakers, including the 2" mids.

JagMan 98
05-15-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't think the full range Cerwin Vega Stealth amps have shipped yet, just the mono amps. If you for sure can get the 800.5 let me know.

I would use different speakers, including the 2" mids.

Which speakers and mid's would you use? What do you think about PDX-5?

Why So Cereal?
05-15-2013, 01:28 AM

I have a PDX 5 on my golf cart powering 2 sets of coaxs and a single L7 8" sub. It works wonderfully.

As far as your mids, I say drop the 2" mids. Your 6.5" component set will handle everything from 80-100hz and up, which makes the 2" mids overkill and potentially just an unnecessary headache.

Can't say I would go with that sub, either.

Whats your budget?

av83
05-15-2013, 01:32 AM
I have a PDX 5 on my golf cart powering 2 sets of coaxs and a single L7 8" sub. It works wonderfully.

As far as your mids, I say drop the 2" mids. Your 6.5" component set will handle everything from 80-100hz and up, which makes the 2" mids overkill and potentially just an unnecessary headache.

Can't say I would go with that sub, either.

Whats your budget?

Lmao. Didn't know who you were until you dropped the e-z go into the convo lol.

Oraclem19
05-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Also interested in this, not much mid knowledge and running on a set of cheapish Pioneers. Not sure if I need to go balls to the wall German made $1000 mids to get some quality non-screechy mids and tweeters, or if a budgetable set is more possible.
Bass up until 2-300hz is covered already.

Why So Cereal?
05-15-2013, 01:37 AM
Lmao. Didn't know who you were until you dropped the e-z go into the convo lol.

lol, yea. I wanted to throw some folks off.

trumpet
05-15-2013, 01:26 PM

Send me a pm if you want to discuss other speakers along with 2" mids that don't require anything permanent to install them into any vehicle.

The PDX-5 seems like a good amp. I can't say anything more as I've never used one.

JagMan 98
05-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Are all of you kind and knowledgeable folks saying that I should not replace the 2" mids and just leave the stock ones in place?

The premium system has 6 speakers: 2 sets of separates and 2 mid's. Why replace the seperates without the mid's?

Why So Cereal?
05-15-2013, 04:09 PM
If your car is setup like mine then the separates and mids are not runnin like you think.

It's essentially a 3 way component set. The 6.5 in the door is strictly midbass, the 2" handles midrange, and the tweeter picks up the highest frequencies.

Your aftermarket separates (2 way) eliminate the need for that middle driver as they handle the whole frequency band between those two drivers (mid and tweet)

trumpet
05-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Are all of you kind and knowledgeable folks saying that I should not replace the 2" mids and just leave the stock ones in place?

The premium system has 6 speakers: 2 sets of separates and 2 mid's. Why replace the seperates without the mid's?

You can replace all the speakers without spending a fortune. There are strong benefits to keeping the small midrange in addition to the woofer and the tweeter. You're being told to forget about them because people assume it's a waste of money.

I can't confirm where your midrange speakers are located in your car. I see you should have tweeters in the sail panels, 6.5" woofers in the doors, and 6.5" subwoofers in the left and right rear next to the back seat. Based on a quick Google search, Jaguar owners seem very hesitant to replace their speakers, except for the subwoofers which always seem to go bad.