PDA

View Full Version : This Double Din has Gotta Go X5500BHS with horrible washout from the sun. Need new HU

Bmr4life
05-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Can't see jack during the day. The sun washes it out like crazy, wth. I had no such problem with the OEM Nav unit that was in my Mustang. I've only seen a couple reviews that state such problems, surprised everyone hasn't encountered this. I don't have a picture of mine, but here's one of an X8500 showing the problem.

Hell, I may have to go to a single din just to get past this. Does Kenwood have the same problem?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/attachments/audio-video/212363d1368535223-pioneer-avh-x5500bhs-7-inch-system-radio.jpg

Kingstroker
05-15-2013, 02:28 AM
clean the screen

zooroadbaja
05-15-2013, 02:37 AM
I have the Pioneer X4500BT, and it looks like that's a 5th gen 4Runner. Mine was the same way. But I came to realize how its wired the screen dims when the running lights, or headlights are on. So I had to disconnect my running lights to keep it brighter during the day.

pickup1
05-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Is it for sale?

Bmr4life
05-15-2013, 07:42 AM
clean the screen

Cleaned my screen, helped but did not solve.

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

Is it for sale?

I'd return it, not sell it.

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

I have the Pioneer X4500BT, and it looks like that's a 5th gen 4Runner. Mine was the same way. But I came to realize how its wired the screen dims when the running lights, or headlights are on. So I had to disconnect my running lights to keep it brighter during the day.

I'll give that a shot by driving with my DRL off.

winkychevelle
05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Angle the screen down a bit to change the angle of the subs reflection. Just about every screen is goin to do this it just tge screen acting like a mirror just like head lights in your rear view just angle the screen different

bigaudiofanatic
05-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Pioneer seems to have this problem, I have no such problem with kenwood or alpine.

Bmr4life
05-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Angle the screen down a bit to change the angle of the subs reflection. Just about every screen is goin to do this it just tge screen acting like a mirror just like head lights in your rear view just angle the screen different

I thought about that also, but there isn't much adjustment in that area.

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Pioneer seems to have this problem, I have no such problem with kenwood or alpine.

That's what I'm thinking. I've been looking and have not be able to find anyone complaining about the kenwood units having sun washout. Haven't checked on Alpine.

oxsign
05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
I've got that DD in my Avalanche, and I haven't had that problem at all since I got it. Looks like that dash id at a weird angle though. Mine sits almost straight up/down in my truck.

Bmr4life
05-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah, that's not my dash,but its similar with the angle of the face slightly tilted upward.

This is mine in the garage.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x222/bmr4lifemr1/Blue%20Beetle/Mods/P1000225_zps421a08b0.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/bmr4lifemr1/media/Blue%20Beetle/Mods/P1000225_zps421a08b0.jpg.html)

oxsign
05-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Can't see jack during the day. The sun washes it out like crazy, wth. I had no such problem with the OEM Nav unit that was in my Mustang. I've only seen a couple reviews that state such problems, surprised everyone hasn't encountered this. I don't have a picture of mine, but here's one of an X8500 showing the problem.

Hell, I may have to go to a single din just to get past this. Does Kenwood have the same problem?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/attachments/audio-video/212363d1368535223-pioneer-avh-x5500bhs-7-inch-system-radio.jpgThis isn';t yours??? What did you do google the worse possible pic you could find with glare, lol????

Yeah, that's not my dash,but its similar with the angle of the face slightly tilted upward.

This is mine in the garage.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x222/bmr4lifemr1/Blue%20Beetle/Mods/P1000225_zps421a08b0.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/bmr4lifemr1/media/Blue%20Beetle/Mods/P1000225_zps421a08b0.jpg.html)If this is yours, it doesn't look bad at all. That's about what mine looks like.

jco1385
05-15-2013, 10:05 AM

So disconnect the dimmer wire :fyi:

winkychevelle
05-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Pretty much all units are going to do this with an angle dash and long angled windshield. My regular radio does this a bit in my versa but it angles back quite a bit

Bmr4life
05-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping there are some other units that don't do this. I'm either going to downgrade to a single din with android control (the sony HU's) or try the Parrot Asteroid Smart since its screen is more like a tablet. Reflections are more of a problem then, but anti-glare screen protectors can handle that. Washout from the sun seems to have no resolution.

Also, that picture is in my closed garage, so the sun isn't washing it out.

winkychevelle
05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Don't get the parrot it's really a low quality unity

Bmr4life
05-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Where have you read that? I'm trying to do research on it. XDA seems to like.

winkychevelle
05-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Where have you read that? I'm trying to do research on it. XDA seems to like.

Almost all of the parrot asteroids I have installed have had problems. Parrot may have sorted them out but go to crutchfield and look at the reviews for the single din and you will see what I mean.

Bmr4life
05-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Almost all of the parrot asteroids I have installed have had problems. Parrot may have sorted them out but go to crutchfield and look at the reviews for the single din and you will see what I mean.

Yeah, that's the single din. I'm not going to judge their DD based on reviews of the single. The DD has its own reviews.

winkychevelle
05-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Yeah, that's the single din. I'm not going to judge their DD based on reviews of the single. The DD has its own reviews.

Your choice man just giving you a heads up

winkychevelle
05-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Your choice man just giving you a heads up

NFrazier
05-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Having the dimmer on is almost a necessity for night-time driving so you don't have the blaring bright screen in your face. However it will dim whenever you have your lights on. That's the problem. These units are rather bright when they are not self dimming. You can manually control the dimmer if you want to drive with your lights on.

Bmr4life
05-15-2013, 11:27 AM
I have verified that having my DRL's on does not affect the HU. Only having the headlights on does.

I'm also starting to wonder if the unit is susceptible to the high temperatures that interior see's while parked outside. I remember the screen was hot when I first got in the car yesterday.

trumpet
05-15-2013, 12:09 PM

Have you owned it or even seen it in person?

winkychevelle
05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Have you owned it or even seen it in person?

Yes I've installed 5 so far which all five have come back with some kind of software glitch I've had people having problems connecting to them, not pulling address books, connection fails, freezes I always seem to be putting in a avh-4500 or the radio he has here in its place. The shop has one left in stock an the owner won't order anymore

oxsign
05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Have you owned it or even seen it in person?I haven't "owned" one, but I did get to play with one. Mu buddy had one in his 300 for 2 weeks before he got rid of it, lol. We messed with it, and the fetures it was are good but overall nothing I would own personally.

Bmr4life
05-15-2013, 01:04 PM
What's sad for me is I don't mind spending a big chunk of change on an HU if its worth the money. I'd drop $1000 on an Android HU if it was top notch. As of right now, I'm not seeing anything that's worth it. If it weren't for the washout on my X5500, I'd say it was a 8 out of 10. It's laggy when using my 8GB nano which is kind of annoying. But due to the washout, I can't give it better than a 6 out of 10.

So now I've ordered a Sony MEX-GS600BT to hold me over until something better comes out.

Kingstroker
05-15-2013, 01:36 PM
you mentioned anti-glare film, have you tried it? High heat does affect LCD's, I've had fish finders and gps units almost completely wash out in 100+ temps.

Bmr4life
05-15-2013, 02:08 PM
you mentioned anti-glare film, have you tried it? High heat does affect LCD's, I've had fish finders and gps units almost completely wash out in 100+ temps.

The high heat is probably what my problem was. I do plan on getting tint, but not on the front window so I'll have a sunshade up while I'm parked at work.

Bmr4life
05-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Alright, I'm going to give Pioneer another shot due to some tests I did this weekend. I used my 18v LED flashlight to simulate the sun shinning on the screen. I tested out a kenwood DDX470 and it appeared to be slightly more visible, but still not great. There are no other brands I'd want to try.

I also tried out the Sony single din HU and its not going to work for me. I'm spoiled and can't go back to a single din. Using the phone and going through ipod and usb are just FAR TOO difficult with a single din.

That said, I'm still getting rid of my x5500. I'll be replacing it with an x8500 for a couple non-related reasons. One related reason is the removable screen. Perhaps I can place it somewhere cool in the car while the car is parked. I'll also be buying one of the double din covers to act as a theft deterrent, but I also plan on lining the inside with some insulation to help keep the radio face cool (instead of taking the face off).

I also bought a Parrot Asteroid, but I'm not even going to open the box because I know I'll be frustrated with it. Part of the reason I bought the X8500 is that I'll give ARL another shot and if it doesn't work out I still have everything else I need in a nice HU (versus the bare bones SPH-DA100). Its $140 premium over the X5500 which I can handle. I'm sure I'll find something to do with that HDMI input. I'm thinking ARL didn't work good because of my phone. Once I get a Samsung, I'll probably be good.

clickclickw00t
05-19-2013, 05:40 PM
I have a p4400BH. willing to trade?

cfox10
05-19-2013, 06:39 PM
tint the windows

Bmr4life
05-19-2013, 06:41 PM
tint the windows

That's on the list also, but it won't solve it all. The very first day this happened 90% of the sun was coming through the windshield. A stripe at the top wouldn't even of helped. I used my hand to see where it would have to be to put a shade over the screen and it was the middle part of the windshield. Camry just did a horrible job protecting the HU. People complain that the OEM touchscreen has the same problem.

jar1zx
05-19-2013, 06:49 PM
I have the 8500 and it looks brighter than yours
My windows are tinted and its flat on the dash
The way I hooked mine up the dimmer doesn't work at night it's to bright
My last deck was avh4300 and it was good before I tinted the windows

cfox10
05-19-2013, 06:50 PM
That's on the list also, but it won't solve it all. The very first day this happened 90% of the sun was coming through the windshield. A stripe at the top wouldn't even of helped. I used my hand to see where it would have to be to put a shade over the screen and it was the middle part of the windshield. Camry just did a horrible job protecting the HU. People complain that the OEM touchscreen has the same problem.

Depending on how much you're willing to pay, why not have a shop do a custom fiberglass install with either an ipad mini, or android tablet.. 3.5mm isn't the best for sq, but it can be done or if you get one with hdmi or something and find a way to split the signal for the amps, and a knob in the dash for the volume

Bmr4life
05-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Depending on how much you're willing to pay, why not have a shop do a custom fiberglass install with either an ipad mini, or android tablet.. 3.5mm isn't the best for sq, but it can be done or if you get one with hdmi or something and find a way to split the signal for the amps, and a knob in the dash for the volume

I wouldn't need a shop to do it, the installation would be easy for my car. The problem is being able to have FM radio, a physical volume button, & hands free calling through the car. Those are some of the main problems I have with using a tablet as an HU.

cfox10
05-19-2013, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't need a shop to do it, the installation would be easy for my car. The problem is being able to have FM radio, a physical volume button, & hands free calling through the car. Those are some of the main problems I have with using a tablet as an HU.

A lot of tablets have fm radio, or tunein? physical volume would be easy with a volume knob and most can connect to bluetooth to take handsfree calls.

The way I'd do it though if you could is to have a single din possibly hidden, or even a mount for the tablet in front of the single din and use that for all adjustments.

Edit.. double din isn't nearly as bright as my kenwood one but my kenwood had problems with the screen going to black and white often. It was a nav unit.. it had daylight tons of brightness options and it had angle adjustment, etc. SQ wasn't up to par though.

Bmr4life
05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Yeah, the only way I'd consider to do it is to have a single din installed in between the tablet and my speakers. I would not use the 3.5mm jack because I've heard the audio quality is lower. I would use a Nexus 7 like most people. There are some installs that I like, but the work they put into it is not worth it to me. Its not just a mount and plug in thing if you want it done right.

SounDrive
05-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Has no one in this thread heard of window tint?

Bmr4life
05-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Has no one in this thread heard of window tint?

You obviously didn't read the whole thread.

SounDrive
05-19-2013, 07:25 PM
You obviously didn't read the whole thread.

I got bored after the first page

cfox10
05-19-2013, 08:31 PM
I got bored after the first page

Already suggested window tint... at the same time, I don't see why companies don't make the units with better screens, espescially with capacitive screens. Makes no sense to me.

SounDrive
05-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Already suggested window tint... at the same time, I don't see why companies don't make the units with better screens, espescially with capacitive screens. Makes no sense to me.

I've never used an aftermarket double din so I can't say whether or not they'd all have that problem. But I do know that the stock nav unit in every vehicle I've seen doesn't have this issue.

You could always do something like this... lol

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=98957&d=1364326449

cfox10
05-19-2013, 08:52 PM
I've never used an aftermarket double din so I can't say whether or not they'd all have that problem. But I do know that the stock nav unit in every vehicle I've seen doesn't have this issue.

Lol, that's interesting... My aftermarket unit in direct light is fine.

Bmr4life
05-19-2013, 09:10 PM

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=98957&d=1364326449

You may laugh, but I've considered this.

Did some google searches. Appears they make these for GPS units and tablets. I may add modify one to mount with magnets for when I need it.

PocketRocket
05-19-2013, 09:13 PM
you wont have that problem with a kenwood...well 90% of the time