PDA

View Full Version : Ported Box Design Help First Time

goldhamer
05-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Hey guys. So I am in the process of trying to build my first ported box. I have done some research and tried messing around with a box calculator but i still am trying to figure this out. Right now I have a 2004 Chevy S10 ZR2 Extended Cab. Inside I have a American Bass XFL 1244 in a 2 cubic foot not so great sealed box powered by a Hifonics Brutus 1200.1. It sounds alright now but I know I can make it sound so much better. I have messed around with the box calculator and thrown some numbers in that look right but i have no clue if they are. I would like to tune the box to 35 Hz with a slotted port, but I have no clue what cubic feet I should aim for, how big the port diameter should be, how long the port should be and how much displacement my sub causes.
I have a good amount of room to play with:
28" H
20" W
45" L
I know i do not need to use all the space but what space I have helps. If anyone has any suggestions or possibly could help me with figuring out what I need to do would be great.

Connor

Lowlacs
05-12-2013, 04:20 PM
The xfl 12s like 2-3cubes apiece ported. I have 2 now but when I only had one, I found mine performed best in 3cubes aero-ported at 35hz. It was really loud in an ext cab dakota on just 1krms.

goldhamer
05-12-2013, 04:35 PM
thanks for the suggestion. Do you remember what port diameter you used?

Lowlacs
05-12-2013, 05:24 PM
It was a 4" Aero-port. the body is 4" but the ends flare to 6". I liked it because of the adjustability, changing the length until I found what I liked. One xfl played well for me between 30 and 35hz, just dependin what I felt like for a few days. Once I got 2 subs I ran 4cubes after displacement in that same truck. Now have ext cab ram that affords the room for a 2to1 4th order, very efficient and pays really loud from 20-50hz on 2krms. Its a real "shaker" down low. Good luck and Id say use Aeroports till u find what u like, they are just easier to fix than 100bucks worth of wood if u get it wrong. And we all get it wrong at some point.

goldhamer
05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Did you use a adapter to flare the port out or did do it another way?

Lowlacs
05-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I just ordered the port online, google aero-port and lots will pop up for less than 15bucks.