PDA

View Full Version : Best 6x8 speakers???

Johnny5101
05-11-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm upgrading all my door speakers in my explorer. I'm looking for clarity and crisp clean sounds!! I have 2 15" re audio sxx subs powered by alpine mrp 2000 amplifier. I want to be able to hear the words not just the bass. I have a crossfire 402 for my highs. Will that work ok? I really need you guys'help to know which brand and/or make and model of some good 6x8's. I appreciate all of your inputs. Thanks so much.
John

Johnny5101
05-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Is a crossfire 402 to big of an amp torun my highs? It's only a 2 channel amp.

zako
05-12-2013, 07:18 AM
The market for 6x8 speakers is slowly dying out. I heard that Ford stopped using oval speakers in the 2013 Fusions. Nonetheless, there are still two good speakers available. The Image Dynamics XS-57 and JL Audio C5-570. Technically these are bough for 5x7 applications, but they should have screw holes that line up with 6x8 layout. If you want something very cheap, consider this speaker https://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=269-503

It's supposed to be better than price suggests. They're selling them until they run out of stock.

Milk Mayne
05-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Have you looked into buying/making adapters to use 6.5 or 5.25 speakers? It would open up a MUCH WIDER selection, even if you want to stay with a simple coaxial setup.

Johnny5101
05-12-2013, 09:46 AM
What would be my best decision? I'm wanting clarity and crisp sound. I don't want to only hear bass. Bass is nothing if you can't hear the words being sung. I'm open to any/all possibilities.

Milk Mayne
05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
In my opinion, you would achieve the best clarity with a component set, which consists of two separate speakers per side, a midbass and a tweeter. Most sets come with various types of mounting hardware, so even if you don't have a stock tweeter location, with a little ingenuity you can come up with a decent mounting place for them. You would also want to run these off an amplifier to really get the most out of them. It's just kind of a waste IMO to put aftermarkets on head unit power.

trumpet
05-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Is a crossfire 402 to big of an amp torun my highs? It's only a 2 channel amp.

If it's the VR402 I looked up 100W x 2 @ 4 ohms. This is fine for 6x8s if you set it up correctly and use the volume knob to regulate the power.

Since I started carrying some Clarion speakers I'm starting to discover they're pretty amazing for the money. The cheap SRG1622R 6.5" coaxials are quite good, and they retail for only $59. Look at SRQ6832C 6x8s. SRQ is the "better" line from Clarion and they should do just what you're looking for.

A good set of coaxials will get you clarity for your vocals very easily as the woofer and tweeter are together.

Johnny5101
05-12-2013, 04:19 PM
So are you saying to put 1 mid speaker in like the drivers door then put a tweeter in the rear drivers door? I have an SUV with 3rd row seating. If that helps.

Johnny5101
05-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Also with the bass knob, are you saying I have to turn it up and down a lot? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I've only felt with subwoofers in the past. Never really messed with the miss and highs. So thank you for all your inputs on this issue.

Johnny5101
05-12-2013, 05:25 PM
One more thing. I just bought a 200 amp alternator for my SUV. Will I still need a car audio battery, since I'm going to have an alpine mrp 2000 and a crossfire vr402 amp hooked up.

ekun
05-12-2013, 05:34 PM
I upgraded to the infinity reference 6832 in my explorer and they sound great. Rotating tweeters and this little switch with 0 and +3. Not really hard hitting speakers unless amp. I think some people say the highs can be harsh on the ears and i blieive most head units can solve this

zako
05-13-2013, 03:40 AM
What would be my best decision? I'm wanting clarity and crisp sound. I don't want to only hear bass. Bass is nothing if you can't hear the words being sung. I'm open to any/all possibilities.

Well, it depends on how much you want to spend. The Image Dynamics speakers I mentioned are top flight speakers. Their fair price is >400 dollars. However, sonicelctronix has been selling the 5x7 version for under $300 recently, which is a good deal. You will get crisp sound, though ultimately any speakers will go only so far without additional tuning by an advanced DSP (like active crossovers, time alignment, etc).

A lot of people are now happy with JBL MS-62C speakers. These cost ~200 online. They are round. If you're on tight budget, get the Bravox speakers I mentioned. At $50 a pop, you can't go wrong with those comps.

Johnny5101
05-13-2013, 07:43 AM
I also have a Phoenix gold line driver on its was as well. Will this help me too?

trumpet
05-13-2013, 10:19 AM
I also have a Phoenix gold line driver on its was as well. Will this help me too?

A line driver is not for the speakers and I don't recommend one for a standard installation. If your head unit puts out very low voltage then you may want to try a line driver, but I have yet to use one in an installation.

supereikenator
05-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Personally I had some Memphis MC's and I thought they were absolutely great for the money. They have crossovers built in and they love to be amped. I just totaled the car they were in and yanked them out. Still in perfect shape since I hit the front end, played for maybe a month. PM me if you are interested' I'd sell them to you for cheap, I don't have use for them, my next car will have 6.5's so I may as well help out a fellow audio lover.

Johnny5101
05-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Not sure how to pm you. But I am interested. My email is [email protected]