PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new headunit?

Strangirs
05-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Whenever I hit the smallest bump my head unit decides to turn off :\
The faceplate probably is messed up from me banging it around and dropping it so many times..
Anybody have any other guess on why it would be doing this besides the face plate?
I'd rather try then spend..
If not ill probably go for a single din flip out this time :O

DocisChief
05-12-2013, 12:07 PM
It could be a loose/weak ground or connection for the ignition wire. I went through this with a touch screen Pioneer. It would randomly cut out & then come back on. There was something in the vehicle harness probably caused by the previous owner. Ended up being the wire they ran for the ignition/switched source. Bypassed the harness completely & no more worries. We first ran a constant straight from the battery, then a new ground outside of the vehicle harness & then finally the ignition wire. We wired it to the constant with a toggle switch. It could also be a loose soldering point inside the radio.

Strangirs
05-12-2013, 12:13 PM
It could be a loose/weak ground or connection for the ignition wire. I went through this with a touch screen Pioneer. It would randomly cut out & then come back on. There was something in the vehicle harness probably caused by the previous owner. Ended up being the wire they ran for the ignition/switched source. Bypassed the harness completely & no more worries. We first ran a constant straight from the battery, then a new ground outside of the vehicle harness & then finally the ignition wire. We wired it to the constant with a toggle switch. It could also be a loose soldering point inside the radio.

That probably is the reason but anyways i'm kind of wanting to upgrade now to a single din flip out with navigation, my only worries is that you won't be able to listen to music while using the navigation and that there is no bypass which I posted about in another thread.. If I end up getting it ill probably test the head unit and send it out for a couple of bucks if it works/doesn't work..

But if I can't listen to the radio when using navigation and there's no way to bypass it ill end up having to keep a regular single din..