View Full Version : Speaker mounting, 1986 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Dead Reckon
05-04-2013, 11:58 PM
So I was securing the spare tire on the back of '86 Olds Custom Cruiser, as I regularly have to do, it likes to come loose, and I decided to take a peek at how the rear sail speakers are mounted since I am going to replace them.

They use a basket mount, they are 4x10's, and I am not sure if I can fit aftermarkets there without making some custom brackets, which is pretty much beyond my very limited fabrication skills.

So yeah, anyone got experience with this?

The only thing with tabs like that are Boss audio speakers, and those are arguably worse than stock. I wanted to put a set of Kicker KS410's back there but I dunno if they will fit.

05-05-2013, 12:16 AM
4x10 speakers are very hard to run by especially a decent set. if you are set on a 4x10, i'd go with kicker. if you want to open up the options, get a 4x10 to 6x9 adapter so you can look into a decent set of 6x9s

Dead Reckon
05-05-2013, 12:19 AM
I've already found 'em, I'm just not sure if they will fit, did you take a look at the photo? They use a very strange mount.

05-05-2013, 12:33 AM
i did look at them but tbh I only worked with 4x10 like once or twice and I just opted to not use the location at all.

05-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Chances are good you'll have to do some modifications. Stock speakers are shallow, good ones will have much bigger magnets.

Dead Reckon
05-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Well that's not what I wanted to hear, I wonder if I can find anything that actually fits. Guess I'll find out eventually.

05-06-2013, 03:14 AM
back in the day we would top mount the new speakers - which meant cutting a hole for the speaker where the perforated cardboard is. that allowed more depth, a flashier grill, and we could use 8/32 bolts and nuts to hold the speaker down with.

i say back in the day because 4x10's were popular with GM cars in the 80's. I had several early 80's cars with them... but i did things like this to those cars

that pic was 1998... i still have that Alpine component set...

Dead Reckon
05-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Nice surface mount job, looks clean, not factory but clean. I was thinking of getting a set of shallow prefab 6x9 boxes and mounting 'em to the rear sails. Just run screws through the speaker holes in the plastic back there so I don't cause much damage.

Was thinking these boxes and speakers:

Kicker KS693 6" x 9" 3-way KS Car Speakers (11KS693) (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_31839_Kicker-KS693-11KS693.html)

Ground Shaker SQ 6X9-GRAY (sq6x9-gray) 6 x 9" Single Square (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_62681_Ground-Shaker-SQ-6X9-GRAY.html)

Alternatively, here's a few ideas, and be honest what you think about them.

Alright so, since it's a station wagon the mid seat folds down, I was thinking of attaching a pair of 6x9 boxes too that aswell as a small 10" sub box, so when I lay it flat, I just have to make sure the wires don't snag, and they wind up facing the seat, so I can still use cargo space, but I have speakers back there too.

Also, I was thinking, since I'm gonna make this wagon into a panel wagon, I could flush mount those boxes just about anywhere in the back, I'll use some floor colored carpet on them, just yank off the carpet that comes with them, I have to source new carpet for my car anyway.

Also, side note, if I had a sedan with a rear deck I'd just use some of those 4x10 to 6x9 adapters they have now, don't have that luxury though.

And Plan C is that I cut holes in the tailgate, see if I can put some in and not interfere with the window or excessive rattling. Worse case I could cut holes and put in some 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" speakers in the tailgate. Get some universal speaker grills, some dye or paint in the same shade of tan as the interior, presto.