PDA

View Full Version : Bass boost VS sub level

Rockguy475
04-28-2013, 01:02 PM
My deck is a double din pioneer (same one in my sig). I notice that in my audio settings they have a bass boost which ranges from 0-6 and a sub level which ranges from like -10-16 (negative 10 through 16). Is there any difference in these 2 functions? I have seen some ppl say not to use bass boost.... does the same thing apply for the sub level?

help a noob out..... i know i posted this before but it was in the wrong section

for the ppl who say not use bass boost I have a question.... How do u get the bass to hit harder on certain songs if u listen to a wide variety of music without it?

whitedragon551
04-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Sub level is not the same. Sub level sets the preamp output voltage on the sub. That should be 16/16. The bass boost should always be at 0.

TaylorFade
04-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Sub levels are like a "volume" in that it's adjusting the output voltage of the sub and sub only. Bass boost is like a 1 band EQ in that it boosts a certain frequency. Usually 40hz or so. But it's a parametric EQ so it affects frequencies around 40hz as well.

Sub levels don't normally "boost" the signal. It's an attenuation thing. Bass boost, as the name implies is a "boost". It can lead to distortion/clipping of the signal. That's why people always advise against using it.

Rockguy475
04-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Sub level is not the same. Sub level sets the preamp output voltage on the sub. That should be 16/16. The bass boost should always be at 0.

So when I set my gains... I know my bass boost should stay at 0 but what about my sub level?

Rockguy475
04-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Sub levels are like a "volume" in that it's adjusting the output voltage of the sub and sub only. Bass boost is like a 1 band EQ in that it boosts a certain frequency. Usually 40hz or so. But it's a parametric EQ so it affects frequencies around 40hz as well.

Sub levels don't normally "boost" the signal. It's an attenuation thing. Bass boost, as the name implies is a "boost". It can lead to distortion/clipping of the signal. That's why people always advise against using it.

So when I set my gains should my sub level be at 0 too?

TaylorFade
04-28-2013, 06:19 PM
So when I set my gains should my sub level be at 0 too?

I like to leave myself a bit of headroom, so I set mine with my sub level around half, but most people will tell you to set it with the sub level all the way up to be safe. That way you're only ever turning it down.