PDA

View Full Version : RE Audio SXX10D2 - Sealed Box Build, Quick Questions

onyxaltezza
04-26-2013, 04:34 AM
Hey guys-

So I currently have 2 of these. Specs here:
RE Audio SEX10D2 (SEX10-D2) 10" Dual 2 ohm SE-X Car Subwoofer (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27313_RE-Audio-SEX10D2.html)

I have the powered with an Alpine MRD-M1005 at 2 ohms sending 1000W RMS.

They are each enclosed in ported enclosures of 1.25cu ft, each seeing about 500RMS(at 14v), and tuned to 36hz(could go lower, I know).

They are decently loud, and sound good enough for what I want. Problem is, they currently take up too much space, and make my trunk basically useless.

Now, I want to put them in sealed boxes instead of ported, and I know they will sound different. Mainly bc Im using prefab enclosure right now and I want to make them slimmer/wider so I can use my trunk again, but the design I want to do, wont allow any room for a ported box's ports to vent. They will be facing and basically up against the sides of my trunk.

They are recommended to be put in ported boxes, but I presume most subs will work in sealed the same, just depends on the box? So, if they are recommended to be in 1 cu ft ported EACH, and Im going to put them each in a sealed box instead, how do I calculate how much smaller the sealed boxes can be vs their current ported enclosure sizes? Or do the boxes need to be larger if they're sealed?

Any input would be appreciated. Not looking for anything crazy, just want to build 2 wide/flat boxes to get the false floor effect and be able to put stuff on top of them after I throw false floor board/panel on. No fiberglassing, etc. Im only capable of making square boxes as of now due to lack of correct woodworking tools, etc. Thanks in advance!

Boomsday
04-26-2013, 04:35 AM
they are not made to be sealed..

NIHL8ION
04-26-2013, 05:55 AM
Why not just get a dual ported enclosure & ditch the two separates? It will have a smaller footprint...

onyxaltezza
04-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Why not just get a dual ported enclosure & ditch the two separates? It will have a smaller footprint...
I had that as well, didnt work out well. I always have to transport stuff in my car and using the dual ported prefab sat right against the back of my trunk, blocking the whole area that I could use my foldable rear seats for. So I wouldnt be able to carry stuff and extend it into my cabin.

DoesDad
04-26-2013, 12:25 PM
You'd be better off getting around a 1.25-1.5 cube ported box built for one of them and not using the other. You're not going to like those sealed up. You'd get more output with one ported and probably be around where you are now using 2 prefabs with a decent box.

logan963
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Personally I like sealed, but most people will tell you to go ported because you will get more output out of the speaker ported. if you need space and don't want to be loud then go with sealed, but even 1 ported will give you more db's on your power than 2 sealed

joselr3668
04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
depending on your prefab it might actually be larger than 1ft per sub. So just by putting them in a ported box made for the at 1ft per sub might be smaller. also with that amp your not fully pushing them I would do a single 10 in a custom built ported box and push them only problem is you will have to run 4ohm which will cut your power and now your back to less output but more trunk space lol.