PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Mids

magic8ball88
04-23-2013, 09:54 PM
So I'm looking to upgrade the Bose system in my 2003 Yukon XL. I already have a headunit installed and a modest bass setup (going to be upgrading that soon too but that's another thread another day) and now I'm ready to upgrade my speakers. I want to spend somewhere around $300-500 excluding wiring. I've been looking at getting 6.5 inch Alpine Type S components[/URL] in the front and back (That is assuming the rear doors have a spot for a tweeter, still haven't gotten a definite answer on this) and an Alpine 4 channel amp[/URL] to power it. If I buy all of that from Sonic it comes to $450 but if I buy from Amazon its about $330. Thoughts? I have also been looking at some Rockford Fosgate stuff but it's a little more expensive. Thanks for reading.

I guess I can't post links since I'm new (understandable) but the model numbers are SPS-610C for the speakers and MRX-F35 for the amp that I've been looking at.

Silverado SS
04-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Buy whatever is cheaper but make sure to make sure there not refurbished on amazon. Just about all alpine products are good so you will more than likely be happy but if you want some different options I'm sure some guys can help you out

mylows10
04-23-2013, 10:06 PM
actually the type s components are crap,they sound like shlt ,dont think the fosgates will be much better .try getting convertible components for the rear ,if you want components in the rear doors .id do just mids or coaxes myself

magic8ball88
04-23-2013, 10:29 PM
actually the type s components are crap,they sound like shlt ,dont think the fosgates will be much better .try getting convertible components for the rear ,if you want components in the rear doors .id do just mids or coaxes myself

What kind of speakers and amp would you recommend then?

mylows10
04-23-2013, 10:35 PM
What kind of speakers and amp would you recommend then?

the amp is fine if you like the alpine pdx,the components and speakers are not .there are lots of brands that are better ,take a look at the cdt com 626 set ,als look at phd components , incriminator make a decent set ,also. depends on your budget ,you should be able the mount the tweets in the doors under the grill in the front doors ,the com 626 set has the components and coaxial all in one set

magic8ball88
04-23-2013, 11:43 PM
the amp is fine if you like the alpine pdx,the components and speakers are not .there are lots of brands that are better ,take a look at the cdt com 626 set ,als look at phd components , incriminator make a decent set ,also. depends on your budget ,you should be able the mount the tweets in the doors under the grill in the front doors ,the com 626 set has the components and coaxial all in one set

This is my first real system and I haven't heard any nice systems before so I don't know what I think of Alpine but they make good looking gear, I've heard good things about them and they're affordable. I think I will go for the alpine amp and I would like to match it with the Alpine speakers too. Thank you for the recommendations but they seem just a little bit out of budget. I would love to go with any of those components though. I think handbuilt speakers would be so cool, but I don't want to spend that much yet. So I should stay away from the Alpine Type S?

Oh and how should I match up the speakers and amp? The speakers are 4 ohm and the amp wouldn't power the speakers to their full RMS that way.

mylows10
04-23-2013, 11:47 PM
This is my first real system and I haven't heard any nice systems before so I don't know what I think of Alpine but they make good looking gear, I've heard good things about them and they're affordable. I think I will go for the alpine amp and I would like to match it with the Alpine speakers too. Thank you for the recommendations but they seem just a little bit out of budget. I would love to go with any of those components though. I think handbuilt speakers would be so cool, but I don't want to spend that much yet. So I should stay away from the Alpine Type S?

Oh and how should I match up the speakers and amp? The speakers are 4 ohm and the amp wouldn't power the speakers to their full RMS that way.

stick with the 4 ohm speakers ,also i wouldnt worry so much about rear speakers as they should only be for fill anyway ,spend more on the fronts .you could actually do a 2 channel just for the doors and run the rears off the deck.would sound better and it will free up more $ for better components

magic8ball88
04-23-2013, 11:58 PM
stick with the 4 ohm speakers ,also i wouldnt worry so much about rear speakers as they should only be for fill anyway ,spend more on the fronts .you could actually do a 2 channel just for the doors and run the rears off the deck.would sound better and it will free up more $ for better components

I would like to go with components in the rear just to match. I've heard a lot of people say that they aren't necessary though so maybe I will just go with coaxial. I don't expect you to know this since I don't know what you drive, but do you know what kind of speaker cut outs I have in the rear doors? I can't find a definite answer online and I haven't popped the door panel off yet to check.

Thank you for all the help by the way.

Dirtrider4eva
04-24-2013, 12:00 AM
First off, alpine type s new style speakers do not sound horrible, they sound fine for the money. For a good budget option look into jbl gto or ms62c, ia is a good set, image dynamics ctx line, hertz hi energy, focal 6a series. Plenty out there!

mylows10
04-24-2013, 12:07 AM
I would like to go with components in the rear just to match. I've heard a lot of people say that they aren't necessary though so maybe I will just go with coaxial. I don't expect you to know this since I don't know what you drive, but do you know what kind of speaker cut outs I have in the rear doors? I can't find a definite answer online and I haven't popped the door panel off yet to check.

Thank you for all the help by the way.
6.5 rear doors

magic8ball88
04-24-2013, 12:26 PM
First off, alpine type s new style speakers do not sound horrible, they sound fine for the money. For a good budget option look into jbl gto or ms62c, ia is a good set, image dynamics ctx line, hertz hi energy, focal 6a series. Plenty out there!
Awesome will do. Thank you!

6.5 rear doors

With a tweeter or no?

mylows10
04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Awesome will do. Thank you!

With a tweeter or no?
either just a mid or a coaxil only

magic8ball88
04-24-2013, 03:39 PM
either just a mid or a coaxil only

Okay thanks.