PDA

View Full Version : Been a while...revisiting my unfinished kick panels

sumone
04-25-2004, 08:04 PM
I haven't did anything since I made the 1-layered molds...

I have no time on the weekdays and weekends I'm just so exhausted during the day....so I know this is gonna take a while...

However, to add more layers to the 1-layered mold I have now, will it work? Cause I've been thinking - Since they've had a least 3 weeks of curing (lol), is it too late to add more layers to the inside?

Acidburn
04-25-2004, 08:09 PM
im pretty sure you can still add more layers, just dont let the weight of the new resin distort the old forms

Gauntlet
04-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Well....I suppose you can. Just make sure to give the mold a good sanding beforehand, and add layers to the topside of the mold. However, it'd probably be just as easy to start all over...a layer should only talk about a half hour to do.

sumone
04-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Yea I would kinda hate to start over again just cause I'd have to be in the car. Cause when I add the layers to the existing one, I'm just gonna be on the back porch (and we're on the top floor of the building).

Sanding...is that to make it easier to do or is it really needed? Cause I don't have a sander or something.

Gauntlet
04-25-2004, 09:19 PM
You want to sand it so the added layers can adhere to the existing layer so it becomes one piece. And you wouldn't use a sander anyways, go to Home Depot or a hardware store and get a couple sheets of some medium grit sandpaper for like 2 or 3 bucks.

sumone
05-06-2004, 10:04 PM
...I take forever to do stuff...lol. But yesterday, added another layer to only one of em due to time. Took a look at it today, and worked pretty good. 2 layers really gets hard! 1 layer was bendable and now it's not even the slightest of being bendable. the 3rd layer....can't wait! Didn't sand it or anything prior to adding the other layer cause I felt if it didn't work out, I'd just start all over.

And now since today was my last day of school...I can guarantee I'll have all my layers done by the end of next week (but we'll see if I get lazy).

So, I thought I'd ask now and hopefully when this time comes, I'll know what I'm doing.
Baffles. I know cutting through the wood to make a circle, and the final act of making the circle is gonna be hard with just a jig & a drill. Don't wanna buy something cause I'm short on funds; gotta use what I got. What can I do to make this process easy(/easier)

cause I was just gonna:
1. drill a couple holes with the widest bit I have so that I can get the jig in there.
2. cut along a drawn circle.

InhumanAcura
05-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Just sop the single layer w/ resin and lay a piece of fleece, or an old sweatshirt and soak that.

I glassed my spare tire well with like 7 layers and when I started looking at the mold w/ the subs going I could see it flexing pretty bad. I took some old carpet from a box I had lying around and gooped the resin on it and put it back together, no more flexing. I saw a guy w/ 15 15"s who only used carpet for the entire front baffle, minus the rings and it was sturdy as hell.

If you want to add more layers just sand it pretty good.

sumone
05-06-2004, 11:13 PM
so you're saying just skip the whole wood dowels & baffle & aiming process and just use a layer of resined fleece to put the speaker in?

These are for some 6.5s, so I'd doubt I'd have a flexing problem (as compared to a sub)?

Acidburn
05-06-2004, 11:20 PM
you can use just a drill and jig saw to cut the circles, that's what i did and they turned out fine, jsut go slowly and stick to the line

Gauntlet
05-06-2004, 11:22 PM
A drill and a jigsaw is all you should need to make the baffles....maybe a router if you want to flush mount them.

JnEsPappa
05-07-2004, 02:54 PM
so you're saying just skip the whole wood dowels & baffle
No don't skip that part of the process.

sumone
05-07-2004, 08:36 PM
what's the router do? I thought flush mounting is the only way??? Wouldn't mount the bottom; Ok, I'm confused....???

Acidburn
05-08-2004, 04:07 AM
the router is for to mount the speaker like at lower level than the top of the wood, look at Gauntlet's sticky and you see how the speakers are inset into the wood? that's what the router is for

you don't need to do that though, you can just mount the speaker on top of the wood

sumone
05-08-2004, 01:19 PM
oh ok. I finished all three layers yesterday! now...onto the baffles

I just came back from spending $40 at home depot and forgot to get some wooden dowels. I had bought another cheap (analog) multimeter, some 4ga ring terms, some 6ga ring terms, a whole box of 16ga spade terms, and then this bigass pliers/wire cutter/crimping thing.

So the imaging will have to wait til next week, today's job is cutting the baffles. and with this 2'x4' 1/2" MDF board I have, I'll have a lot of trial & error sessions.

Anyone know what classification I would find some wood dowels in? Like it wouldn't be in some electrical or flooring section. just need an idea of where I need to look cause I have a feeling asking someone "where's your wood dowels at?" probably won't be very effective.

Acidburn
05-08-2004, 04:19 PM
i think they are usually near the wood, not sure though

helotaxi
05-08-2004, 07:53 PM
They are in with the wall trim pieces at the Home Depot near my house.

sumone
05-08-2004, 08:25 PM
cool - thanks.

well, cut the baffles out. really wasn't that hard as I thought. even though it's not straight lines and not perfect circles, there's enough wood around the perimeter so that when I place the speaker in, I have some wood to screw into.

Didn't cut out the holes for the tweeter yet. I may just not cut them out at all and just use velcro or some removable adhesive on top of the wood.

how the driver baffle looks with the stuff:
http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/2/10895driver_kick_baffles.jpg

how the passenger baffle looks with the stuff:
http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/2/10895pass_kick_baffle.jpg

as you can see, the area I glassed - I tried to overdo it cause I didn't really know what size the baffles and stuff would be, etc.

Acidburn
05-09-2004, 03:35 AM
looking good, my only comment is you may want to round off the corners on the baffles to give it a bit of a cleaner look

sumone
05-09-2004, 05:42 PM
cool I'll do that - main objective here was just getting the big hole cut out. what do you guys think of not having a tweeter hole and just using velcro? seem like an okay idea, or should I just go ahead and may as well cut out some holes?

I think I think about replacing stuff too much (for instance if, in the future I get some new speakers and the tweeter is smaller and then it slips through the hole of the baffle).

Acidburn
05-09-2004, 05:48 PM
i'd think the velcro would look pretty funny and kind of sloppily done

if in the future you get a smaller tweeter you could always just make some kind of little insert to put in the hole and make it a bit smaller

sumone
05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm tryin to get the dowels on and they won't stick....it's been about an hour and a half since I first applied some "heavy duty: construction & remodeling" liquid nails.

Am I using the right stuff? It's in a brown container with blue writing. It's a thick brownish gummy material.

It was funny too cause I had threw away a hole container of it away because I thought I messed it up trying to open it - I had tore the clear plastic thing off that it's supposed to come out of cause I thought that's how you puncture it....it was funny too when I went back to ace and then found out I was supposed to have this gun...I thought you just shake/squeeze it out.

so, is it the right stuff? In Gauntlet's tutorial, his glue looks clear...

btnhfan
05-11-2004, 03:26 PM
try using a hot glue gun.

Acidburn
05-11-2004, 07:36 PM
i used hot glue for attaching the dowels, works quite well IMO

Gauntlet
05-11-2004, 11:15 PM
I'm tryin to get the dowels on and they won't stick....it's been about an hour and a half since I first applied some "heavy duty: construction & remodeling" liquid nails.

Am I using the right stuff? It's in a brown container with blue writing. It's a thick brownish gummy material.

It was funny too cause I had threw away a hole container of it away because I thought I messed it up trying to open it - I had tore the clear plastic thing off that it's supposed to come out of cause I thought that's how you puncture it....it was funny too when I went back to ace and then found out I was supposed to have this gun...I thought you just shake/squeeze it out.

so, is it the right stuff? In Gauntlet's tutorial, his glue looks clear...

Yes, it's clear....I forgot the exact name of it, but it's made by Liquid Nails and on the package it says it can be used for fiberglass....also, if you are having some problems getting them to stay....put on a large amount of liquid nails, push the dowel into it and hold it in place for a little bit, then rip up some small pieces of mat and fiberglass them from the base and onto the dowel......I just did this for a friend this weekend, and the dowels are never going anywhere...

http://home.cwru.edu/~pwb4/Set34_01.jpg
http://home.cwru.edu/~pwb4/Set41_01.jpg

sumone
05-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Step by step...day by day...I'm makin some progress...

I ended up buying a hot glue gun and using it to attach the dowels to the baffles. a glue gun is my new best friend...lol. I messed up because basically there are parts where the fiberglass meets the baffles, and I retook a look at Gauntlet's pics and the dowels are the only method of the baffles meeting the fiberglass....oh well, too late to start over...

just stretched the fleece over - horribly. not that tight, but it's the best I could do with a hot glue gun that dries pretty quickly. I'm making alog of my progress here (http://www.geocities.com/xxinfamisxx/project_fiberglass.html).

sumone
06-20-2004, 11:26 PM
well, I guess you could say they're finished....

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/2/10895Pic0008.JPG (http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=3838&password=8838fffc8c2018deb2e1643532ef8184&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/2/10895Pic0007.JPG (http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=3837&password=8838fffc8c2018deb2e1643532ef8184&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

sumone
06-20-2004, 11:31 PM
also, note that I haven't really installed them; these pics were just taken after I carpeted them just trying to see how it looked - so really the woofer & tweet are just sitting there and aren't hooked up. so I've yet to see how they really sound and finally get rid of my "rear fill" which is my primary source of sound.

horrible job on the carpet especially the left one, but I guess it's okay for my first set. took 3 months to make...lol; really about 3 weeks of work over the span of 3 months.

helotaxi
06-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Pics are kinda fuzzy, but from what I can see, it looks like they came out really nice. Good job. We knew you could do it.

btnhfan
06-20-2004, 11:45 PM
looks good. glad everything turned out okay.

DBfan187
06-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Those kicks kick ***. Looks sweet!:thumbsup

sumone
06-21-2004, 10:56 PM
cool; couldn't have did it without Gauntlet's tutorial and without you guys answering my whiny-*** questions...lol

my family's finally happy I'm done dealing with all these chemicals and stinking up the house with the smells of resin & body filler...was gonna hook 'em up today but was raining like hell today so I said skip it - I'm eager as hell to see how they sound!

InhumanAcura
06-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Cool man, hope they sound as good as your proud of them...