PDA

View Full Version : opinion on front stage tweeter placement and power

strapdood
04-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi,
I'm new here on the forum and see that a few things have changed since I was in the business years ago. I guess I am one of the old dudes (OS) that was along for the ride when the car audio craze really get started. I am now wanting to get back into it, but not at the competition level like back then. I am just going for SQ on a moderate budget so I am doing the install myself since I did it professionally for over 10 years(86-97) and am pretty capable when it comes to custom work.

I have already installed a 6.5" mid-bass, 5" sealed mid and a nice tweeter in each door. It sounds awesome, but I think a tweeter in the front pillar would help raise the front stage a bit.

I am running the system actively, so the tweets are getting 50w rms per side. The two tweeters on either side would run in parallel since they are 8ohm. The tweets that I am going to try in the pillars are smaller and more efficient, so should I attenuate them so they don't overpower the main tweeter in the door? In the past I have just used a small cap on a tweeter that I don't want to be too loud. Will this work?

I will of course test the sound and placement before doing any permanent mounting/wiring, but I wanted to get some opinions first.

Thanks

trumpet
04-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Take a look at this concept and see if it makes sense for you. It won't require you to cut the pillars or use separate amplifier channels to power the tweeters.
UP 2100i (http://cdtstore.com/upstage_series/up-2100i.htm)

strapdood
04-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Hi,
Looks like what I'm wanting to do, but I already have an active system that the tweeter is on it's own channel(s). It looks like the interface may work on just the main and upstage tweeters though?
The interface looks like exactly what I am trying to achieve, so I will use the equipment I already have and see what it sounds like. May have to go with an interface like that to get the results I want though.

Thanks

trumpet
04-18-2013, 06:04 PM
The UpStage crossovers could work with any appropriate 2 pairs of tweeters, as long as they're 4 ohm. The crossover is at 8 kHz.

keep_hope_alive
04-20-2013, 11:44 PM
that is an option.

i recommend you also try relocating the tweeters you already have and experiment with other locations. you'll find that you don't need a second pair to get the soundstage where you need it. the one pair you have is sufficient, when properly located and aimed.