PDA

View Full Version : single din that does bluetooth and usb audio well?

Skelshy
04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I got the Clarion CZ702. The bluetooth was an unmitigated disaster - phone does not reconnect automatically, audio stutter, forward/back does not work, no title display. Literally everything that works with the factory BT in my Mazdaspeed 3 doesn't work on the Clarion (in another car).

My other use is playing audio from a usb stick. Here, I didn't pay attention and got a unit that doesn't play AAC. My music is FLAC and I keep a copy of everything in lossy AAC for mobile use. Since the Clarion doesn't want that, I'd have to keep yet another copy in mp3.

In actual use, mp3 didn't seem well thought out. You can't see albums or folder names, all you get is folder up/down. Pretty impractical for navigating even a midsize collection. I have about 200 albums I don't want to navigate 200 albums with a folder up/down key.

So, any recommendation for a single DIN unit that does bluetooth and usb audio well? Ideally below $200.

Thanks
Skelshy

NIHL8ION
04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
I got the Clarion CZ702. The bluetooth was an unmitigated disaster - phone does not reconnect automatically, audio stutter, forward/back does not work, no title display. Literally everything that works with the factory BT in my Mazdaspeed 3 doesn't work on the Clarion (in another car).

My other use is playing audio from a usb stick. Here, I didn't pay attention and got a unit that doesn't play AAC. My music is FLAC and I keep a copy of everything in lossy AAC for mobile use. Since the Clarion doesn't want that, I'd have to keep yet another copy in mp3.

In actual use, mp3 didn't seem well thought out. You can't see albums or folder names, all you get is folder up/down. Pretty impractical for navigating even a midsize collection. I have about 200 albums I don't want to navigate 200 albums with a folder up/down key.

So, any recommendation for a single DIN unit that does bluetooth and usb audio well? Ideally below $200.

Thanks
Skelshy

I'm running the Pioneer DEH-P8400BH and it works very well for that price range, but if you are willing to spend a little more you can get the DEH-80PRS - 3 kings has a good deal going on these right now (Around $245 shipped with promo code 5OFF8G1)

trumpet
04-15-2013, 03:01 PM

There may be a setting on the CZ702 to enable auto reconnect. It worked perfectly on my Droid RAZR, but when I changed the CZ702 for a CX501 I had to enable auto-connect. Audio stuttering happens for me if I have wifi enabled on the phone. It stops stuttering the instant I turn wifi off. Song control may be dependent on your music player. I use Winamp and there is a setting in the app to enable remote headset control. I don't have any song id info showing on the display, which has worked once and I don't know why because I didn't do anything different.

Audio navigation is always going to **** with a 2 line display. I do all my music navigation on my phone.

Skelshy
04-15-2013, 05:57 PM
thanks. I might try the pioneer.