PDA

View Full Version : got a cvr and don't know if its powerful and strong

faeezhio
04-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Hey guys....so I'm a noob....I recently got myself a 10cvr142....after giving my w305f away(good sub for the cash).....so yeah....I wanna knw if this kicker will knock hard n low in a 3cube seald box like the pioneer did...and have anyone got info on targa monoblocks? I knw ill probly need a strong amp for this kicker....and seriously guys I want honest pros and cons

REDz28
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
It's kicker.... Enough said bro. Sorry but I dont think it'll knock "hard and low" and if it does it'll sound like ****. And **** just order a Hifonics amp, your bangin kickers why waste the money on a good amp.

JoeK
04-15-2013, 01:27 PM
just order a Hifonics amp, your bangin kickers why waste the money on a good amp.

This right here is what made me lose my bowels

Only The Best
04-15-2013, 01:28 PM
don't listen to that guy... don't knock it till you try it just cuz you hate the brand. key words here.... "but I don't think"... I had 2 kicker cvr 12's in the trunk of my Camaro ported and the spl on those things will hit harder than you will expect... they need about 400 rms... but will easily take much more... they will eat away at any power you give to them. idk about sealed... I would personally go ported... if your looking for sql... not the way to go.

BoomBoxStereo
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
if you have a Kicker CVR, i wouldn't even give it one watt over rated RMS. Personally, i would sell the Kicker and look at the caraudio.com classifieds. all of my equipment is used and i couldn't be happier with it... i also probably saved about 60% off of retail if i were to buy them new.

i disagree with REDz28 when he suggests a Hifonics amp.. if you can come across one of the older models, then go for it. but as far as the newer ones go, i'd stay away.

the Kicker CVR can get low in the right enclosure, but better can be had for the money. there's a reason why i **** talk Kicker in threads where they are brought up. I've never run one but have plenty of friends who have... they think it sounds great, but they've obviously never heard anything else. They want bass just to rattle their car, not to listen to music.

DoesDad
04-15-2013, 02:13 PM
they need about 400 rms... but will easily take much more... they will eat away at any power you give to them.

No. Only give them around 400 a pc. Anymore and you'll almost certainly cook the coil. Kicker CVR's aren't exactly known for their immense power handling. Lol! In fact most Kickers I've ran I won't go much past the listed rms. Most of the time they get stinky pretty quick. I used to think they were good budget woofers for 80-90 bucks a pc. but with everything that's out now in that price range or a little above I'd stay away from the Kickers nooblet.

BoomBoxStereo
04-15-2013, 02:21 PM
No. Only give them around 400 a pc. Anymore and you'll almost certainly cook the coil. Kicker CVR's aren't exactly known for their immense power handling. Lol! In fact most Kickers I've ran I won't go much past the listed rms. Most of the time they get stinky pretty quick. I used to think they were good budget woofers for 80-90 bucks a pc. but with everything that's out now in that price range or a little above I'd stay away from the Kickers nooblet.

the bold.

but i'm not going to call you nooblet, we were all new at one point.

from your original posting OP, there are many more negatives about Kickers in general IMO than there are positives. however i've heard good things about some of their amps.

Dtrom
04-15-2013, 02:42 PM
I've had CVRs before, their not bad at all for the price. Just don't expect too much out of them..

Only The Best
04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
^^ agreed... your not going to impress anyone on this site with a cvr... but the sound they make will be decent for the avg everyday person

REDz28
04-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Hey he asked for honest opinion I just gave my 2 cents. You can't push any kicker sub over there rms without burnt voice coils. I'd stay away from them. There's plenty of other better options

JL Audio
04-15-2013, 09:44 PM
alternatives to your kicker sub:

sundown sa
skar ivx(I think) or vvx
audioque 2.0
dc level 2
american bass xo
some of the funkin audio subs for sale on diymas page
diamond audio d3

plenty of choices though..

ampwise:

hifonics
mb quart
vvme
audiopipe
lower model soundstreams

not much a point in sealed as being a newer person and not really knowledgeable, i'd try to sell your sub locally... wait and read up and get informed on here and then make a choice and have someone design your box like buck or pro or ram in the vendor section. Plenty of people will do it for free as well though and you'll have a nice simple ported box that'll give you more output if you're wanting more.. "umph" from your sub instead of pure sound quality.

Sorry im not that much help but that is best I could offer while doing other things.

faeezhio
04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the advice guys....I heard dds before...in a ported enclosure,in a toyota tazz....n **** it hard,I think it was the 12" 350rms one.....but then I heard a kicker 10cvr124 in a sealed box in a friends conquest....n it was louder and more terrifying.....n thts what made me lean towards kicker.....I do think tht sound quality aint as good as pioneer/infinity etc...but it made my chest/throat hurt....btw both were single subs....

faeezhio
04-16-2013, 10:27 AM
And I forgot to mention I'm not much into sq....I'm more of a street pounder,not a full time spl competitor,got lots to learn....(still a college student lol)....

DoesDad
04-16-2013, 10:36 AM
How much money do you have to spend first of all?

4bannger
04-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the advice guys....I heard dds before...in a ported enclosure,in a toyota tazz....n **** it hard,I think it was the 12" 350rms one.....but then I heard a kicker 10cvr124 in a sealed box in a friends conquest....n it was louder and more terrifying.....n thts what made me lean towards kicker.....I do think tht sound quality aint as good as pioneer/infinity etc...but it made my chest/throat hurt....btw both were single subs....

If I fact 1 10" kicker was a heart ponder to you then maybe you should just stick with that. I myself started with two kicker comps on 500 watts. And been searching for the next best thing after that. This hobby is pretty addictive and I don't know if it the same for everyone but after having a set up for a few months I need more and seem to be getting immune to my current set up.

DoesDad
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
If I fact 1 10" kicker was a heart ponder to you then maybe you should just stick with that. I myself started with two kicker comps on 500 watts. And been searching for the next best thing after that. This hobby is pretty addictive and I don't know if it the same for everyone but after having a set up for a few months I need more and seem to be getting immune to my current set up.

That's always the way my brutha! More, more, more! It seems like you get used to your current setup in a matter of months and it's time for another upgrade. And I agree, if the OP thought that one 10" CVR was "terrifying" he might not want to venture too far away from that. LOL!

pro-rabbit
04-16-2013, 11:11 AM
This thread has made me call kicker and get a few subs today. (no bs I really just did)

Anyone want to get a demo from 3 kicker 12s and then explain why they not only sound good to the ear but meter well? (should be put together for a show here on May 5th for anyone local)

OP- this forum is very biased when it comes to product. In reality though, kicker subs are not all that bad. They are just misunderstood. Many people get them thinking they are the end all be all sub because they were made by kicker. Which has made this forum turn against them over the years as they are a main stream company. In the correct enclosure and proper settings they do very very well and can sound great as well. Anyone who tells you other wise is simply "hating" on kicker or has never has the chance to experience an enclosure designed properly for them and/or proper settings.

faeezhio
04-16-2013, 11:26 AM
I have +/- $200 for a sub only.........btw the kicker was a 12"......n it was really loud....not 140db loud etc...was just louder then the dd at 2ohms.....but ag my perspective on loud might not be the same as anyone elses,visa versa.....do anyone here know much about targa and ice power?

faeezhio
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Lol that 12" cvr was vibrating walls on other peoples property....setting alarms off and irritating the old people....and I'm seriously not being biased....kicker isn't the best and certainly aint the worst...thts for sure

juanmgarza26
04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Lol that 12" cvr was vibrating walls on other peoples property....setting alarms off and irritating the old people....and I'm seriously not being biased....kicker isn't the best and certainly aint the worst...thts for sure

kicker ain't all too bad, just me personally i wouldn't pay the retail for it, get that cvr in the right enclosure and the right power and sure you will be happy for a single 12 man, goodluck on your install

faeezhio
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Lol yeah I paid less then a $100 for it....brand new....what amp do I recon I should get for it?

juanmgarza26
04-16-2013, 11:50 AM
what coil config is it?

faeezhio
04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Its 4 0hm dvc...and I wanna connect it in series for 2 0hm final load

faeezhio
04-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Meant parallel

juanmgarza26
04-16-2013, 12:02 PM
budget?

IonRL205
04-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey he asked for honest opinion I just gave my 2 cents. You can't push any kicker sub over there rms without burnt voice coils. I'd stay away from them. There's plenty of other better options

I ran my CVRs 250 watts over RMS clipped to hell and they never got damaged.

if you have a Kicker CVR, i wouldn't even give it one watt over rated RMS. Personally, i would sell the Kicker and look at the caraudio.com classifieds. all of my equipment is used and i couldn't be happier with it... i also probably saved about 60% off of retail if i were to buy them new.

i disagree with REDz28 when he suggests a Hifonics amp.. if you can come across one of the older models, then go for it. but as far as the newer ones go, i'd stay away.

the Kicker CVR can get low in the right enclosure, but better can be had for the money. there's a reason why i **** talk Kicker in threads where they are brought up. I've never run one but have plenty of friends who have... they think it sounds great, but they've obviously never heard anything else. They want bass just to rattle their car, not to listen to music.

Sit in my car and tell me how crappy my kickers sound. Just cause your friends kickers sounded like crap doesn't mean they all will. Were they in proper enclosures?

pro-rabbit
04-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Sit in my car and tell me how crappy my kickers sound. Just cause your friends kickers sounded like crap doesn't mean they all will. Were they in proper enclosures?

You should road trip up here for the show on the 5th and/or the larger show in June :P

OP, just pick up a cheaper amp that does power at 1 ohm and use it 2 ohm. You will find that is a lot cheaper then trying to find decent power at higher ohm loads.

faeezhio
04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanx I think it will be cheaper too....and plus its 1 ohm I won't need another amp....so long I stay in the rms range

REDz28
04-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Hifonics Amp really aren't that bad for what you pay I doubt they put out the rated power but for a cheap amp I think there decent. I swear by American Bass but not everyone wants to spend the money. I also don't doubt kicker subs can get loud, the problem is most people who buy kicker subs just throw them in some prefab box and go. I suppose your right and I should just hate on kicker because of it being a mainstream company I'm not fond up the subs though and haven't heard a setup where there actually loud and good sounding

resonate
04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
I've heard the Hifonics BRZ line is actually a decent line of amps. It's no Sundown by any means, but for what you're paying, I heard the BRZ line isn't bad.

faeezhio
04-16-2013, 04:07 PM
I've seen an american bass amp for sale here where I live....its going for less then $100 bucks.....I just don't knw much about american bass etc.....its rated at 600w I think...I don't knw the model number etc cos I ddnt really think its a name brand lol....but what are thoughts on american bass amps?

BoomBoxStereo
04-16-2013, 04:37 PM

some were prefab, some were proper enclosures. better subs can be found for the money. i'd rather run an Alpine Type-E than any of the Kickers of equal caliber.

bgowdy31
04-16-2013, 04:59 PM
honestly kicker is not to bad i guess. My wifey loves her Kicker L7 15. and her dont put up bad SPL numbers IMO for the setup itself, i could up grade a couple things and probly gain her some DB's but she doesnt compete. But on the meter she can pulls 143+db... so all in all, not that bad

bernie19
04-18-2013, 09:11 PM
In my opinion these subs are some of the best for the price. I do believe they can go more than 400 watts rms. These shake everything in my truck and the rear view mirror is almost falling off. But when you tweak the bass in the head unit, it can give you some quality sound. I use mine sometimes just for me with quality low bass. And other days I have bass full blast dowm the street turning heads. Very strong buit sub as well

BoomBoxStereo
04-19-2013, 12:44 PM
In my opinion these subs are some of the best for the price. I do believe they can go more than 400 watts rms. These shake everything in my truck and the rear view mirror is almost falling off. But when you tweak the bass in the head unit, it can give you some quality sound. I use mine sometimes just for me with quality low bass. And other days I have bass full blast dowm the street turning heads. Very strong buit sub as well

i disagree with every bit of this post. they WILL NOT do over 400 RMS, and the 400 it is rated is already pushing it as it is. and there's a difference between bass that sounds good and bass that just rattles everything. i would never say that the CVR "can give you quality sound" because quite frankly, it won't. for a bit more money there are 400 RMS drivers that will outperform the CVR with no problem. a lot of people say that SQ is based off of the enclosure (which is correct), but at the same time you need to have a good sub to go with it.