PDA

View Full Version : Brand New CDT Components sound like $h!t

Garcia915
04-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Just got a brand new set of cl-42 components, due to my stock location I was limited to 4x6 speakers so I went with the CDT cl-42 cuz I've heard such great things from CDT. Well I had them professionally installed and got me hooked up with 16g monster cable to the rear to my brand new ppi p600.2 high passed at 120 hz. Well they sound ok till I start turning it up it plays ok for a bit then the tweeter cuts out completely then ill turn it back down and they start working again then ill turn it up and they'll shut off within the minute. Btw the tweet is a CDT tw-25s with the tweeter setting on 0 on the passive crossover. Any help is greatly appreciated. Amp setting ain't even up halfways and they don't even get that loud when the tweeter shuts off and the sq isn't really there. My Polk momo's on my other car sound twice as better and are crystal clear running off an old mtx 75.2. I'm really bummed I spent all this cash on my front stage and it sounds like poop....

mylows10
04-14-2013, 11:35 PM
crossed over with the hp at 120 hertz ,they shouldn't shut off unless your signal is clipped

Garcia915
04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Only the tweets shut off and gain is barely up. Amp is hooked with 4 gauge and I have big 3 upgrade in jl audio 0 gauge so I'm sure it's getting enough current. I don't even have my sub amp hooked up yet I'm waiting on a box and more 0 gauge and deadner.

mylows10
04-14-2013, 11:47 PM
whats the deck settings at ?

Garcia915
04-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Loud-eq off, low-mid-high on 0

mylows10
04-14-2013, 11:57 PM
are you using an eq

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

are the doors deadened

Garcia915
04-15-2013, 12:03 AM
No sir the eq setting on the radio.

goingdef
04-15-2013, 12:05 AM
That would be the poly cap cutting power to the tweeter to prevent blowing it, btw the more you trip it the easier it trips try reducing the high end of your eq from around 2.5khz and up.

Garcia915
04-15-2013, 12:05 AM
No sir doors aren't deadened. I'm waiting on deadner. Tweets are in the sails where the stock ones where.

mylows10
04-15-2013, 12:09 AM
No sir doors aren't deadened. I'm waiting on deadner. Tweets are in the sails where the stock ones where.

might wanna check make sure the components are wire right in phase

WhyUmad
04-15-2013, 12:11 AM
You spent that much cash on some 4" speakers and your deck only has low-mid-high for an eq?

And a 4" mid really ain't gonna do much to be honest .... The ones I've heard sound like poop when you crank on them

Garcia915
04-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Ill try that when I get home. Thanks everyone for your input. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

goingdef
04-15-2013, 12:14 AM
I can tell you how to bypass the cut off but you run a better risk of blowing a tweeter, but if you want to go that route it's easy takes no tools and about 30 sec per side.

Garcia915
04-15-2013, 12:22 AM
You spent that much cash on some 4" speakers and your deck only has low-mid-high for an eq?

And a 4" mid really ain't gonna do much to be honest .... The ones I've heard sound like poop when you crank on them

The mids actually sound better when I crank it up but the tweets crap out. I didn't really wanna spend a grip on custom door mods to only accept a 5.25. I'm kicking myself in the a$$ now for not going with q-form kicks and some 6.5 comps.

Garcia915
04-15-2013, 12:24 AM
I can tell you how to bypass the cut off but you run a better risk of blowing a tweeter, but if you want to go that route it's easy takes no tools and about 30 sec per side.

Ill try your turning up the hp filter first. Knowing me ill blow them tweets bro

audiobaun
04-15-2013, 12:52 AM
I have an MTX Pro Thunder 75.2 if you want to go with the old power again:D,She needs a little buffing, but works perfect,let me know

Garcia915
04-15-2013, 01:08 AM

What head unit would you suggest or would a sound processer be better. This is my daily driver for work only so don't really wanna spend a grip. I just wanted something to sound really good on my way to work and back. Ill most likely end up getting some kick pods with some 6.5 mids and running a three way system. It's a shame though if I have to replace them tweets. My installer did a clean installation on the sails. He had to cut off the grills to make them fit in the stock location.

audiobaun
04-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X396 CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo w/ Pandora Support (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_52148_Kenwood-eXcelon-KDC-X396.html)
Im running this HU for my daily ride..Honda CVR/99,and she has plenty of adjustments for you.Decent HU:D..Though you may be able to find it cheaper,but maybe without the Extras that Sonic send like the Wiring Harness, and dash kit,and the antenna connection if needed

Garcia915
04-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X396 CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo w/ Pandora Support (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_52148_Kenwood-eXcelon-KDC-X396.html)
Im running this HU for my daily ride..Honda CVR/99,and she has plenty of adjustments for you.Decent HU:D..Though you may be able to find it cheaper,but maybe without the Extras that Sonic send like the Wiring Harness, and dash kit,and the antenna connection if needed
I like the price thanks!!!

audiobaun
04-15-2013, 01:37 AM
I like the price thanks!!!

Its an Excellent HU man.Got all the adjustments needed to tune in with low pass,high pass filters, not to mention the 3/4volt rca out.Only Issue I have is that Im not able to see the face with the sun shinning on it, but Im sure thats with any HU,and I havent messed with the colors that much.Other than that, its a nice HU for the money

trumpet
04-15-2013, 03:13 PM
That's a lot of amplifier for 4" components. In addition to turning the high pass filter up you may need to turn the gain down, even if you know the input isn't clipping.

Garcia915
04-15-2013, 05:29 PM
That's a lot of amplifier for 4" components. In addition to turning the high pass filter up you may need to turn the gain down, even if you know the input isn't clipping.

Will do sir... Thanks, what appropriate amp size would you suggest. I'm thinking of getting qforms with 6.5 comps that can take the power ran off my ppi and getting a smaller one for my cl-42, would my cl 42 be useless if I go that route?

trumpet
04-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Your amp is fine if you use it safely by following my suggestions. If you're worried you'll burn up the tweeters then an amp about half as powerful should still get very loud. If you use the Qforms for midbass only that would be fine. Don't use 2 pairs of tweeters playing the same frequencies.