PDA

View Full Version : narrowed down my choices

Lschevelle
04-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Every since i decided to change the 6.5 speakers in my truck and been goin back and fourth on what should I put in the front and rear doors.The sound I'm looking for is something loud, efficient and keep it clarity when I crank the volume. Midbass and the ability to take power is a big thing for me also. i been reading a lot of different threads and these are the most recommended so here are some components that I'm interested in...

1.Jbl p660-Lots of reviews but nothing negative
2.Re Audio xxx-very good but to big
3.Hertz Hi energy165-only con is the price
4.Sundown sa comps-not to many reviews
5.Morel tempo 6-loud but tweeters not so good
6.Alpine type x-no reviews
7.Focal 165-not to many reviews but good

keep_hope_alive
04-11-2013, 09:43 PM
what amp will you be running them on?
have you sealed and deadened the doors?

the list you have is fine. personal preference will determine your final selection, try to listen to them.

Lschevelle
04-12-2013, 09:12 AM
I don't have an amp,I usually buy my speakers first. but I want something that can't handle about 175-200 watts. I really want to try out the doc's but their just to big

keep_hope_alive
04-13-2013, 01:02 PM
you can certainly get an amp capable of that for transients, but don't expect a speaker to actually sustain 170W RMS input.
can you audition them?

i've heard the Alpine Type-X plenty. it's a fine comp set with a very flexible crossover.
The Hertz Hi-Energy is an awesome set. I really like them.
Budget Focal is decent. I'm more a fan of their higher lines.

Don't trust tweeter evaluations, tweeter location and aiming is what determines performance and "harsh" sounds.
I haven't heard the RE or Sundown comps.

JBL and Morel are decent for the price, and i've heard them on a few occasions. I was indifferent.

the amp will ultimately be more important of a decision as it's abilities will determine how loud and clear you will play.

PocketRocket
04-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Focal for the win. I would normally say go higher end focal but I've had the chance to play with some of those and they sound nice for the money