PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing proper speakers

conceptvip
04-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Hello every one, I'm looking to replace the factory speakers in my 2012 Camry that is the 6 speaker system. 2 rear deck speakers (6 3/4), 2 door woofers (could fit a 6x9 or 6 3/4 speakers), 2 dash/windshield tweeters (3-3.5").

What should I do to get the best sound, I'm scared that if I put a component setup in the front with the smaller tweeter on the dash that I would be hearing just lows and highs. Should I get 3 ways for the doors and 3.5" 2 way dash speakers to get the full range?

I will be using a 4ch polk PA500 amp and a single 12" sub. Im unsure if ill be using a sound processor or not.

Thanks

Alrojoca
04-12-2013, 10:47 PM
No 3 way components, too much work, complicated and no real benefit.

Components could be tricky if you place the tweeters in the factory location (dash), they may not fit depending on the manufacturer and with a single crossover box, you will need to fish wire from the dash down to the kick panel area assuming you put the crossover there and from there new wire through the fender out to the door. You will be better off just placing the components on the doors and place the tweeters somewhere on the door panel near the upper corner close to the window or on the window sail panel. Much easier and you could even use the existing factory wiring. You will need to disconnect your dash tweeters of course.

Another simple option is just replace the tweeters after you make sure they fit using the factory grills connect the tweeters crossovers. And try it like that, if you think you need more bass or want the door drivers to sound better, just add some coax on the doors, make sure both the tweeters with the xovers are hooked and both the coax and tweeters are 4 ohms since this parallel hook up will bring the impedance to 2 ohms and it will draw more power from the amp and that could be a good thing.

Good Luck!

conceptvip
04-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks, I was thinking just going with the component setup and there is plenty of room for tweeters in the stock dash location (could probably fit a 3.5-4" speaker with a 2" depth) with the factory dash pad grill.

What do you think I should go with for the rear speakers seeing there is only the deck speakers that are 6x9's? I would rather put a 6 3/4 but wont be able to do components unless I make a mounting bracket and put the 2 speakers side by side.

mylows10
04-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks, I was thinking just going with the component setup and there is plenty of room for tweeters in the stock dash location (could probably fit a 3.5-4" speaker with a 2" depth) with the factory dash pad grill.

What do you think I should go with for the rear speakers seeing there is only the deck speakers that are 6x9's? I would rather put a 6 3/4 but wont be able to do components unless I make a mounting bracket and put the 2 speakers side by side.

if your trying to build a proper frt stage ,then don't worry to much about the rear deck ,unless your trying to get bass from there .like said before ,a set of components in the doors with the tweets higher up on the doors ,also you might wanna do an amp for the components to get them loud.if you really need to replace the rears ,then just some coaxils or just mids ran off deck power will be good .we can recommend components and 6x9's but need a budget to work with

conceptvip
04-12-2013, 11:46 PM
I have the amps already a polk audio pa500 4ch, and a polk audio pa1200.1 for the sub. Im looking to spend around $400 in speakers and if it comes down to it ill get a sound processor if I don't like the sound the factory nav unit has. Ill take your advise and get the components up front and something cheaper for the rear deck. any suggestions on speakers? possibly some focals or bostons

Alrojoca
04-13-2013, 03:07 AM
If you want to keep the stage like it is or a factory look, great, you have enough room for the xover in the dash area. Most decent 3 way component systems are way over $400.00 get yourself a set of JBL MS-62 components, and use the other 200 for either matching rear set of coaxials ey have adapter plates to put 6.5 in 6by9 mounting area if needed and use the other $100 for an audio control line output converter maybe with an EQ for the factory HU , a sound processor like the JL clean sweep $200.00 or JBL ms-8 will cost even more.
You may save $50-70 if you go with a Polk, infinity component set and use that for the LOC or Economy SP

Why So Cereal?
04-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I have the same car, except with the JBL Greenedge, so our speaker sizes may differ a bit in some places but are the same where it matters.

Go with a nice 2 way component set with the mid in the doors and the tweeter in stock dash location if you want to keep a clean stock look.

Drop in some coaxs in the rear spots.

The only alternatives to this would be to:
a) find a 3 way component set with a 3.5" or smaller mid and run the midbass in the door, with the mid in the dash and the tweeter with it.
b) run active or quasi-active, get a 6.5" midbass that you like and run that in the door, with either some 3.5" coaxials, or a 3" mid and a tweeter with separate crossovers for each.

I listed the options from least expensive and complicated to most expensive and complicated.