PDA

View Full Version : Best way to seal doors?

TravelingJ
04-05-2013, 01:14 PM
I've read a lot about how you need to seal off area inside your door to improve the sound. I plan to work with the doors and sound deadening soon, just having to make budgetary room for the $250 in Second Skin Luxury Liner that I would need to cover the space.

That said, is that all I would need? I have their Damplifier to go on the metal and my Ram has MASSIVE openings in the sheet metal. Would I just seal the liner around the rim so it it seal with that, or is it suggested that I cover it with something more firm, and then cover that in the liner?

The goal is all SQ related, not SPL. Daily driver, where some days are 9-12 hours in the truck. Quieting the ride in general, and adding good music is what we are after.

bhsdriller
04-05-2013, 01:17 PM
you need to seal the big holes with something somewhat firm, then use deadener on top of that

somekind of thin sheetmetal works, use small sheetmetal screws to attach it to the door.
I've even used a chicken wire type deal and glued it on, then deadener over that

TravelingJ
04-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Sounds good, thanks! I have self tapping screws by the boxload, so that's not an issue at all. I remember seeing a picture where it was installed in that manner, so I will follow suit. Thanks again!