PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out the best setup for my Z31

Kerrjl1245
03-30-2013, 08:47 AM
I will be buying the Alpine IDA x305s

I am getting component speakers in the front
Hertz ESK 165

I will be putting 6.5" coaxials in the back. I have already decided this is what i want. I just dont know which ones to get. I am looking at 2.

Hertz DCX 165
Hertz ECX 165

the ESKs in the front have a differnt RMS than both of the coaxials i am looking at. Is it better to go with the ECX because its in the same model line or is it ok to use the DCX? There is a big price difference i want to make sure i get this right. Also i want to know if that head unit will power these speakers well whichever i choose to go with. I will get an amp eventually no matter what once i get a small sub but in the meantime will my speakers sound like crap?

sjv13
03-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Head unit power will probably not power your speakers to your liking. Your stock speakers are made to run off small power, whereas nice aftermarket speakers like these are not. They will probably end up being quieter than your stock (meaning they start to distort as a result of clipping earlier), but have better sq. When you get an amp they will be much louder than stock though.

Don't worry about your speakers being rated for different wattage. If they sound different during the time you have them on your head unit, you can use the fader adjustment to get them to sound how you like. If they sound different on the amp, then you can adjust the power with the gain settings.

Some people think it's really important to get all their speakers from the same model line of products so they are tonally balanced. Other people don't care or don't notice the difference.