PDA

View Full Version : help me put my speakers in phase.

calebkhill
03-23-2013, 02:25 AM
Posted in another forum. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Problem.
Playing the phase track, the in phase portion I can hear my 6.5s and 6x9s, but they sound out of phase, horrible. The out of phase portion, can't hear them at all, but my tweets are in phase....
I swapped the speakers at the amp all different ways and the 6.5s stay out of phase.
I believer the 6x9s are too.
Maybe my settings between amp and hu will help.

Setup
Highs pre out: tweets
Mids pre out: 6.5, 6x9

Speakers/amp setup:

Alpine 4 channel
Tweets separate channels 1 and 2 to passive crossover 3.5khz 12DB/Oct
Crossover: full
6x9s bridged channel 3 and 4
Crossover: 80hz-225hz 12DB/Oct

Cadence 4 channel
6.5s bridged channel 1 and 2
Bandpass 225hz-3.5khz 12/DB Oct

Hu crossover settings.
Highs hpf(tweets): 4khz 12DB/Oct
Mids hpf: 80hz 12DB/Oct
Mids lpf: 4khz 12/DB Oct

Yall help me!

Its seems i'm going too have to UN bridge in order to get the speakers in phase according to this. I couldg be wrong.

Bridgeable Amplifiers (http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm)

mlstrass
03-23-2013, 02:51 AM
normally you would reverse polarity on the mids, trying 1 side then the other. But your'e also running 6x9 coax's so tweeter polarity will change also.

WTF are you trying to accomplish???

calebkhill
03-23-2013, 03:03 AM
normally you would reverse polarity on the mids, trying 1 side then the other. But your'e also running 6x9 coax's so tweeter polarity will change also.

WTF are you trying to accomplish???

Run each set at the mentioned crossover points, bridging the mids and getting the sob's in phase.
As you can see i'm using a complicated crossover system between the hu and amps to achiever the crossover points I mentioned.

I'm trying to run
Tweets: 3.5khz ->
6.5s: 225-3.5khz
6x9s:80hz-225hz
Kha suggested this system is probable what's causing the problem.
What do you think.

mlstrass
03-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Run each set at the mentioned crossover points, bridging the mids and getting the sob's in phase.
As you can see i'm using a complicated crossover system between the hu and amps to achiever the crossover points I mentioned.

I'm trying to run
Tweets: 3.5khz ->
6.5s: 225-3.5khz
6x9s:80hz-225hz
Kha suggested this system is probable what's causing the problem.
What do you think.

are the 6x9's coax's or a dedicated mid?

calebkhill
03-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Coax.
if I can mention again.
The in phase portion of the test track caused the 6.5s and 6x9s put of phase, the out of phase portion the tweets were on phase and I couldn't hear the others at all

I have everything crossed approximately at the crossover points mentioned

mlstrass
03-23-2013, 03:37 AM
then you need to reverse polarity on driver's side or pass side mids. Again not sure how that will work with coax's in the mix

calebkhill
03-23-2013, 04:37 AM
It will work with them bridged right? Just flip the drivers side +- at the amp. thing is I did that and they still seemed out of phase.
You don't think the crossover system i'm using between the hu and amp both attenuating at 12db/Oct would cause something.

zako
03-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Having time alignment functions would help a lot here. It's far more refined than the crude method of reversing phase.