PDA

View Full Version : JL ZR800 review.

NoLoud4U
03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Ok, I've had these for a few months now. At first I was not happy but a good friend told me to give them some time and keep working on the install so I did. They are powered by a JL 300/2 covering 60-400hz at -12db. They really started to shine over the last few weeks after countless hours of tuning and tweaking. They like to go low and fall off over 400hz which I'm fine with, these are mid bass drivers and little monsters.

Build quality is pretty good but not Italian good. Mounting is tough.. We had to shave off a bit of the window track to make them work in the doors, it was worth it.

The good stuff.. I'm currently subless waiting on the DDs so I turned off the HPF for them. Wow they like to play low. You can feel the 60hz frequencies in the seats. They seem fine down to the 40hz range as long as I'm not volume happy. DO NOT like the 30s, heard some top late smacking today. I normally don't listen to much that drops that deep with no sub stage in the car.

All in all for a decent power $300 set of mid basses you have space to mount they have shocked me a few times. I don't even miss the subs. They take a lot of work in the install. If they are going in the doors make sure they are sealed as good as possible and in my case you may need to weld cross braces on the door frame to keep them stable. They will destroy some doors.

keep_hope_alive
03-21-2013, 12:22 AM
nice review. a local shop had them for $100 each in a close out. i passed on them because they were just too deep for my doors, which i've sine cut up enough anyway that i could have made them work.

good to know they are a viable option.