PDA

View Full Version : Particle board vs MDF

MerkConvoy501
03-20-2013, 05:52 PM
So i went up to lowes to get some wood for my current box build.. And they had some particle board in the mdf wood spot.. So i built my box with particle board instead of mdf.. Im wondering what is the pros and cons of using the particle board i used.. I am aware that it will split easier then the mdf wood.. Im more curious of the sq and the durability of the particle board.. Thanks in advance

juanmgarza26
03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
only a noob will ask this, well fisrt its not as sturdy, and most importantly its not dense... you want mdf because it makes the sub resonate inside the enclosure, and with particle board it has too many cracks where air can seep though and not give you the best from your sub/s

MerkConvoy501
03-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Well seeing that was my first post i guess that would make me a noob

juanmgarza26
03-20-2013, 06:14 PM

On this forum yes, don't take offence to it, but yeah particle board, no no, I don't even use it for amp racks, it'll fall apart with a good demo

srb
03-20-2013, 06:16 PM

Only having one post didn't make you a noob. Building your box out of particle board did.

juanmgarza26
03-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Only having one post didn't make you a noob. Building your box out of particle board did.

Well said man

MerkConvoy501
03-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Well seeing that i got it out of the mdf pile i assumed that it was mdf.. But my installer at my job informed me that it was particle board..

juanmgarza26
03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
how do you confuse particle board with mdf????? :laugh:

WhyUmad
03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
A big audio shop I worked at made most of its boxes from 3/4" particle board and never had a problem unless it got wet. Even some big boxes using w7's were fine in it. It's not as good as mdf but its fine to use IMO

And take a picture of it, might be mdf and the guy is just a tard

MerkConvoy501
03-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Its both 3/4 " thick and the same color idk..

juanmgarza26
03-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Its both 3/4 " thick and the same color idk..

Redirect Notice (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=INIQi0RrBhdzJM&tbnid=H22F7PwMue7eYM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbellsouthpwp.net%2Fl%2Fj%2Fljfran k%2FMDFvsPB.html&ei=8ytKUcKDB4ns2gXKs4DwAQ&psig=AFQjCNHaSm97uHYyTg96x5t67ppDaPjWzg&ust=1363901811150164)

bgowdy31
03-20-2013, 06:37 PM
MEH....... i would use birch or oak. alot more solid then both mdf & particle board

srb
03-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Well seeing that i got it out of the mdf pile i assumed that it was mdf.. But my installer at my job informed me that it was particle board..

I used to work in the luber department at home depot. People throw the wrong stuff in the wrong place all the time.

A big audio shop I worked at made most of its boxes from 3/4" particle board and never had a problem unless it got wet. Even some big boxes using w7's were fine in it. It's not as good as mdf but its fine to use IMO

No particle board is pretty much the worst stuff you can use.

Keith H
03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
This is what happens when you have your sub mounted on particle board and you get rear ended at 50mph...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg112/KeithH88/SU1BRzA0NTEuanBn_zpsfd980558.jpg

The screws rip right out and the sub comes flying at your head. Ya, it hurt.

MerkConvoy501
03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
this is what happens when you have your sub mounted on particle board and you get rear ended at 50mph...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg112/keithh88/su1brza0nteuanbn_zpsfd980558.jpg

the screws rip right out and the sub comes flying at your head. Ya, it hurt.

lol

MerkConvoy501
03-20-2013, 06:49 PM

And take a picture of it, might be mdf and the guy is just a tard

Hes not a tard hes been in the installation and car audio game for 25+years.. But i sure hope hes wrong.. But the box is for 1100rms and 2 type r 12's..

WhyUmad
03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
No particle board is pretty much the worst stuff you can use.

I have personally built or sold 100's of boxes built with it and NEVER had a single problem with one. Is it good or the best, not really but it's cheap and works for basic regular boxes

WhyUmad
03-20-2013, 07:00 PM

Everyone will say it ***** and is the worst thing in the world because they read that online... I've actually built them so I know. Yes mdf is obviously better but for a cheap *** it works.

For the record I use mdf for my personal boxes

srb
03-20-2013, 07:06 PM
I have personally built or sold 100's of boxes built with it and NEVER had a single problem with one. Is it good or the best, not really but it's cheap and works for basic regular boxes

It is cheap. Thats about it. Its hard to work with and not dense enough to be a good material for speaker boxes. If by "basic regular" boxes you mean a sealed 10 on 200 watts I can sort of understand. But for 1100 watts on 2 type R's I would probably rebuild the whole box out of MDF. it will be stronger and sound better.

Ronny
03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
only a noob will ask this, well fisrt its not as sturdy, and most importantly its not dense... you want mdf because it makes the sub resonate inside the enclosure, and with particle board it has too many cracks where air can seep though and not give you the best from your sub/s

*Sigh*

WhyUmad
03-20-2013, 07:11 PM
It is cheap. Thats about it. Its hard to work with and not dense enough to be a good material for speaker boxes. If by "basic regular" boxes you mean a sealed 10 on 200 watts I can sort of understand. But for 1100 watts on 2 type R's I would probably rebuild the whole box out of MDF. it will be stronger and sound better.

It was fine on 4 RF 15's each getting 800rms or so. Car slammed and the box held up just fine for a long time. But yes if the chance to use mdf it's overall better to use. I would actually be interested in the op used the pb box and made an exact copy in mdf if any audible difference would be noticed. I'd say no....

srb
03-20-2013, 07:15 PM
It was fine on 4 RF 15's each getting 800rms or so. Car slammed and the box held up just fine for a long time.

Yeah and you have experiance building boxes and looks like you braced the box well. The op is obviously an inexperianced wood worker, so its resonable to expect less than awesome craftmanship. Pair that with an inferrior product and I don't think the box is going to hold up very well.

But this is stupid. We are arguing but have the same opinion on the matter.

DARKHART
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Most of those here spewing off that particle board is no good simply isn't old enough to remember when particle was the most common material used in the construction of sub boxes in the car audio world. Particle board and ply wood was in everybody's system back throughout the 80's winning spl shows and it wasn't until the 90's that mdf started gaining popularity and became the standard. Particle board is fine to build your box out of if that's all you have available or can afford at the time. As was stated mdf is definitely the better wood to use of the two were as some would prefer birch over both. Whoever stated that particle leaks because of space between the wood pieces, well you're just wrong......

MerkConvoy501
03-20-2013, 08:09 PM
It was fine on 4 RF 15's each getting 800rms or so. Car slammed and the box held up just fine for a long time. But yes if the chance to use mdf it's overall better to use. I would actually be interested in the op used the pb box and made an exact copy in mdf if any audible difference would be noticed. I'd say no....

Thank you for reassuring me that my box would be ok.. If lowes will give me a sheet of mdf then i will rebuild...

MerkConvoy501
03-20-2013, 08:11 PM
And i will take the guy with hands on experience over what some people read online.. And knowing that particle board was the norm in the 80's reassures me that it will be fine.. But like i said if lowes will give me a sheet of some mdf then im def gonna rebuild my box.

joselr3668
03-20-2013, 08:20 PM
LOL put some water sealer on it and ride it out till you can upgrade lol. I hopes its not humid were your at cuz I know here in Miami it wouldnt last lon. very humid here

DARKHART
03-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Heck truth be told most home speaker cabinets are still made of particle board even those from the high end manufactures.....

Snapper_Slapper
03-20-2013, 08:50 PM
You'll be fine bro. Been using the shet since the 80's just like Dark. Never once had a problem with it unless it gets wet. And in my opinion it's easier to work with than MDF and a proper glued joint is stronger on particle board.

Just make danm sure you pre drill and center the screws in that 3/4". It will blow out a chunk if you dont.

DARKHART
03-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Just make danm sure you pre drill and center the screws in that 3/4". It will blow out a chunk if you dont.

x10 what he said......

RangerDangerV2
03-20-2013, 09:20 PM
meh... good for test boxes... thats about it. I use strictly birch otherwise.

Spooney
03-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Most of those here spewing off that particle board is no good simply isn't old enough to remember when particle was the most common material used in the construction of sub boxes in the car audio world. Particle board and ply wood was in everybody's system back throughout the 80's winning spl shows and it wasn't until the 90's that mdf started gaining popularity and became the standard. Particle board is fine to build your box out of if that's all you have available or can afford at the time. As was stated mdf is definitely the better wood to use of the two were as some would prefer birch over both. Whoever stated that particle leaks because of space between the wood pieces, well you're just wrong......

Thanks for this post man. Anybody who has been in the game long enough has had a few enclosures out of particle board. My first sub boxes were made of particle board (this was in 94-95) and even the original wall in my spl car in 2000 was made mostly of particle board and that car went to world finals.There was a long time when particle board was the thing to use like Darkhart said. Not one failure ever in all of the boxes I have built with it. Hell I still have a box kicking around that is over ten years old made from whatever scraps I had laying around at the time that is mostly particle board and has housed many 12's seeing over 1K rms and is still in one piece. I am not making the case that particle board is an ideal material for a sub box but if constructed right it will work just fine. If I am buying now its mdf or birch ply but they all have their pros and cons(I can remember not too far back when plywood was frowned upon). If you already have the particle board you can sure as hell make it work.

RangerDangerV2
03-20-2013, 09:48 PM
This is what happens when you have your sub mounted on particle board and you get rear ended at 50mph...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg112/KeithH88/SU1BRzA0NTEuanBn_zpsfd980558.jpg

The screws rip right out and the sub comes flying at your head. Ya, it hurt.

birch will do the same thing lol
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/bumpin101/rangercrash_zps580a0c62.jpg

nvturbo
03-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Car audio shops that uses particle board instead of MDF is doing so to cut cost.....and CORNERS. Back in the days, MDF wasn't readily available to the public so particle board was the only alternative that was reasonably priced. Nowadays, you can get 3/4" MDF at just about any home improvement stores.

MerkConvoy501
03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
I went home last night and measured it is 5/8" instead of 3/4 " ... So do you think the 5/8 will work i figured it will flex alot and lose spl or something... Im probally just gonna sell it for enough to buy parts to build a better box out of mdf...

Snapper_Slapper
03-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Yeah you really don't want 5/8". Can you take it back? Tell them it was in the wrong bin and not what you wanted.

Snapper_Slapper
03-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Also look to see if you can build your box with a half sheet. We have a Menards around here that sells 4x4 and 4x2 in MDF, PB, and ply. Save some cash that way.

bhsdriller
03-21-2013, 02:41 PM
how big is the box you're making?...might be ok for something really small, if you brace it

Jroo
03-21-2013, 02:58 PM
did you pay for MDF and got particle board? If so, take it back and get what you paid for. Other wise, it will work just know it is the best stuff to use.

Spooney
03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
I went home last night and measured it is 5/8" instead of 3/4 " ... So do you think the 5/8 will work i figured it will flex alot and lose spl or something... Im probally just gonna sell it for enough to buy parts to build a better box out of mdf...

Wouldn't try the 5/8" man. Need that 3/4 at least.

MerkConvoy501
03-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Appreciate the help will keep posted on what happens in the near future

keep_hope_alive
03-21-2013, 08:33 PM
at Lowe's recently we picked up 4 sheets of 3/4" MDF and one sheet of 3/4" Particle Board. i'm going to use the particle board inside the box to stiffen the larger sides (along with bracing)

dumb bish at the check out saw them all and asked if they were all the same. they are different colors! i said they are all engineered wood. so we paid the price particle board for all of the sheets. Particle board was 1/2 the price. we paid about half in the end. woot!