PDA

View Full Version : Looking for professional box builder in Canada.

gamehawk55
03-16-2013, 02:40 AM
Hey guys I'm looking for a professional box builder located in Canada that has the expertise and similar prices to what Starrmountainsound (double07) and Buck in the states have to offer.

As much as I would love to have SMS design and build me the perfect box for my subs I've heard that the shipping of an enclosure from the states is just ATROCIOUS and would cost more in shipping than the build itself. So I'm hoping to find someone located in Canada (preferably close to Victoria, BC) that can offer the same services and quality as these guys for a good price.

Let me know if anyone here knows of any reputable Canadian companies (or individuals here) that will fit the bill.

I have a box made for my SA-8v2's right now and while it sounds pretty decent I know it could sound better and probably a lot louder too.

Anyways someone let me know.
Thanks

DonH
03-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Hey guys I'm looking for a professional box builder located in Canada that has the expertise and similar prices to what Starrmountainsound (double07) and Buck in the states have to offer.

As much as I would love to have SMS design and build me the perfect box for my subs I've heard that the shipping of an enclosure from the states is just ATROCIOUS and would cost more in shipping than the build itself. So I'm hoping to find someone located in Canada (preferably close to Victoria, BC) that can offer the same services and quality as these guys for a good price.

Let me know if anyone here knows of any reputable Canadian companies (or individuals here) that will fit the bill.

I have a box made for my SA-8v2's right now and while it sounds pretty decent I know it could sound better and probably a lot louder too.

Anyways someone let me know.
Thanks

what are the specifications of your enclosure now?

gamehawk55
03-16-2013, 04:59 PM
what are the specifications of your enclosure now?

My box is roughly 1.5cft after displacements made of 1" HDF. Not 100% sure on tuning but I think its around 35hz. I had the box built for me by a guy that lives about 45m away from me but he's not horribly reliable. Its been a month and he's still yet to finish the second front baffle for the box. Current box is in my profile pic.

Anyone curious as to how this box performs just look up my channel on YouTube (Kalin Kruger)

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 06:28 AM
bump

RicksI30
03-17-2013, 06:59 AM
What makes you think that your current enclosure isn't right?

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 07:02 AM
What makes you think that your current enclosure isn't right?

Lacks "tightness" or "punchiness" on quick notes like double kicks in rock or metal. I don't know if it's just the sa-8v2's aren't capable of pulling it off or if it's the box. Cuz I've seen people that say they have ported boxes tuned to 28hz that sound great with metal and can also dig deep into those low notes as well.

RicksI30
03-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Lacks "tightness" or "punchiness" on quick notes like double kicks in rock or metal. I don't know if it's just the sa-8v2's aren't capable of pulling it off or if it's the box. Cuz I've seen people that say they have ported boxes tuned to 28hz that sound great with metal and can also dig deep into those low notes as well.

If I were you I would take all of the measurements of your current enclosure, and have someone on here see if the box looks good. It might save you some money. Usually "punchiness" is associated with your front stage, and not your subs. What are your amp settings?

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 07:15 AM
If I were you I would take all of the measurements of your current enclosure, and have someone on here see if the box looks good. It might save you some money. Usually "punchiness" is associated with your front stage, and not your subs. What are your amp settings?

I know for a fact that certain songs have the capacity to sound way better than they do.

i.e Nothing Left by As I Lay Dying - Crazy 16th+ note double kicks throughout the song that on a 12" hertz sub in a cra.ppy prefab box that I had years ago hit every note accurately and with distinction, and hit them hard too. Both my W7 in an HO box and now these SA-8v2's haven't been able to make that song sound good. The kicks always get muddled together and don't sound nice. LOOKING at the subs moving looks as though they can do it but it doesn't come out that way. So has nothing to do with my front stage.

Amp in an Audison LrX 5.1K and tuned with a DD1, 40hz @-5db, x-over @80-85hz, bass boost off. HU settings (EQ Flat, loud off, x-overs 60hz on front+rear, "through" on sub). If theres anything I missed just ask :P

RicksI30
03-17-2013, 07:22 AM
I know for a fact that certain songs have the capacity to sound way better than they do.

i.e Nothing Left by As I Lay Dying - Crazy 16th+ note double kicks throughout the song that on a 12" hertz sub in a cra.ppy prefab box that I had years ago hit every note accurately and with distinction, and hit them hard too. Both my W7 in an HO box and now these SA-8v2's haven't been able to make that song sound good. The kicks always get muddled together and don't sound nice. LOOKING at the subs moving looks as though they can do it but it doesn't come out that way. So has nothing to do with my front stage.

Amp in an Audison LrX 5.1K and tuned with a DD1, 40hz @-5db, x-over @80-85hz, bass boost off. HU settings (EQ Flat, loud off, x-overs 60hz on front+rear, "through" on sub). If theres anything I missed just ask :P

If I were you I would take all of the measurements of your current enclosure, and have someone on here see if the box looks good.

So do you have a lpf set at all on your subs? I'm not trying to be a **** either, just trying to save you some time and money.

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 07:25 AM
If I were you I would take all of the measurements of your current enclosure, and have someone on here see if the box looks good.

So do you have a lpf set at all on your subs? I'm not trying to be a **** either, just trying to save you some time and money.

I realize your not trying to be a dik. And as for lpf on all subs? Not exactly sure what you mean there. I'm only running one amp for the subs not two. I said the subs x-over is between 80-85hz. On the HU it's set to "through" meaning the amps x-over is the only one having any affect on the subs.

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Oops read that wrong. I read that as "on ALL your subs" not "AT all on your subs". lol. But yes lpf is 80-85hz :P HU one is disabled (through) so amp x-over takes over

RicksI30
03-17-2013, 07:34 AM
I realize your not trying to be a dik. And as for lpf on all subs? Not exactly sure what you mean there. I'm only running one amp for the subs not two. I said the subs x-over is between 80-85hz. On the HU it's set to "through" meaning the amps x-over is the only one having any affect on the subs.

So your lpf is set at 80-85hz? What is your hpf set at for your front stage? If you can get the specs on your current enclosure that will greatly help.

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 07:39 AM
So your lpf is set at 80-85hz? What is your hpf set at for your front stage? If you can get the specs on your current enclosure that will greatly help.

I just told you all that like 3 messages ago. Front's are crossed over at 60hz on the HU. They aren't running off my Audison because they are part of a premium pre-amped system in the car. But I'm tellin you the fronts are NOT the problem. I could completely bypass ALL speakers and run my Ipod or whatever else directly to the sub channel on my amp (which I've done) so that it's the ONLY thing being run and it will still sound like SH** with quick double kicks like the ones I described.

I will try to get the box dimensions tomorrow (almost 5am right now lol)

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Have you ever found that a different Head Unit or Amp can make your subs perform vastly different in terms of SQ?

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Here is the design for my box. Dimensions of my box are all identical to this except for being made of 1" HDF instead of 0.75" MDF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/grca961bolm4d28/dual%20sa%208%20%28with%20top%29.jpg

EDIT: Except for my box doesn't have the second baffle yet. So single baffle and 1" HDF

splwj47
03-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Here is the design for my box. Dimensions of my box are all identical to this except for being made of 1" HDF instead of 0.75" MDF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/grca961bolm4d28/dual%20sa%208%20%28with%20top%29.jpg

EDIT: Except for my box doesn't have the second baffle yet. So single baffle and 1" HDF

where did you get the design from? the box looks alright. you may want to try a different tuning if you are in the high 20's. if you can build yourself, getting a design done is the best way to go. if not i know a guy in WA who is a solid builder. hit me up if you would like to contact him.

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 08:38 PM
where did you get the design from? the box looks alright. you may want to try a different tuning if you are in the high 20's. if you can build yourself, getting a design done is the best way to go. if not i know a guy in WA who is a solid builder. hit me up if you would like to contact him.

Did you not look at the dimensions of that box? How would you even think it was tuned in the 20's haha. If it was tuned in the 20's the sub wouldn't come close to unloading playing Rack City haha. This box is somewhere around 35hz I believe. I'm not entirely sure though. It was designed by Pro-Rabbit here on the forums and he said it was tuned to 35 I believe. But considering the design was 0.75" MDF and it ended up being made of 1" HDF with the same dimensions and it doesn't have the second baffle that means the tuning is probably even higher than 35hz. I tried running test tones from 30hz-40hz to find the spot where excursion was the least but it had no real noticeable difference in excursion between 30-40hz.

How much would it cost for your guy to ship to Victoria BC, Canada? That's the main reason why I'm looking for a Canadian builder so that I don't have to pay more for shipping than the cost of the box itself haha.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

And no I cannot build myself. Living in an apartment kind of hinders that lol

splwj47
03-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Did you not look at the dimensions of that box? How would you even think it was tuned in the 20's haha. If it was tuned in the 20's the sub wouldn't come close to unloading playing Rack City haha. This box is somewhere around 35hz I believe. I'm not entirely sure though. It was designed by Pro-Rabbit here on the forums and he said it was tuned to 35 I believe. But considering the design was 0.75" MDF and it ended up being made of 1" HDF with the same dimensions and it doesn't have the second baffle that means the tuning is probably even higher than 35hz. I tried running test tones from 30hz-40hz to find the spot where excursion was the least but it had no real noticeable difference in excursion between 30-40hz.

How much would it cost for your guy to ship to Victoria BC, Canada? That's the main reason why I'm looking for a Canadian builder so that I don't have to pay more for shipping than the cost of the box itself haha.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

And no I cannot build myself. Living in an apartment kind of hinders that lol

meh thought you said in a earlier post that it was tuned to like 28 or something. but if you are so worried about shipping, why dont you just get a design and find a local cabnet maker or carpenter to build it for you. and pro rabbit was probably your first mistake. hit up ram-designs.

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 10:56 PM
meh thought you said in a earlier post that it was tuned to like 28 or something. but if you are so worried about shipping, why dont you just get a design and find a local cabnet maker or carpenter to build it for you. and pro rabbit was probably your first mistake. hit up ram-designs.

Why do you think I started this thread...to find a builder in Canada because shops here want to charge ******* $600 for a simple ported box.

splwj47
03-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Why do you think I started this thread...to find a builder in Canada because shops here want to charge ******* $600 for a simple ported box.

well i dont know what shipping would be from me to you, but if you had a design i could maybe take a look and see if i could build it for you. i could greyhound it to you. if its just a dual 8 box shouldnt be to big.

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 11:04 PM
well i dont know what shipping would be from me to you, but if you had a design i could maybe take a look and see if i could build it for you. i could greyhound it to you. if its just a dual 8 box shouldnt be to big.

Would probably still be at least $100 to ship. Or maybe more just because of the fact that it's international.

splwj47
03-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Would probably still be at least $100 to ship. Or maybe more just because of the fact that it's international.

im from manitoba man.

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 11:09 PM
im from manitoba man.

Oh haha. I didn't know that. When u suggested a guy in WA I assumed you were from the states too lol

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

And the fact that u didn't suggest yourself I had no idea you were a box builder.

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Question. Do u have any experience with the alpine type R 8s? I'm almost thinking of picking up a couple and dropping them in my current box. I see a lot of reviews praising their SQ abilities and the ability to play fast and hard.

splwj47
03-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Oh haha. I didn't know that. When u suggested a guy in WA I assumed you were from the states too lol

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

And the fact that u didn't suggest yourself I had no idea you were a box builder.

i dont do it for a job or nothing, just mainly for myself. but i do good work. and i dont mind helping people out when they're in a pickle. you can check out my build thread in the build log section to see my last box i built.

gamehawk55
03-17-2013, 11:22 PM
i dont do it for a job or nothing, just mainly for myself. but i do good work. and i dont mind helping people out when they're in a pickle. you can check out my build thread in the build log section to see my last box i built.

Wow that box for the tantric's looks awesome. How much would you charge for a box for the SA-8v2s? Also do you have experience with those subs and making a box for them?

Also about the Type R8's. Any thoughts on those?

splwj47
03-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Wow that box for the tantric's looks awesome. How much would you charge for a box for the SA-8v2s? Also do you have experience with those subs and making a box for them?

Also about the Type R8's. Any thoughts on those?

i would have to figure out the cost, depends on what is needed, i have a half sheet laying around here. i wouldnt charge you much for my time. you would have to get me a design, i dont design boxes. i have never used the sa 8's. so if i was you i would get some input from some guys that have ran them see what works best and get a design done. then i could construct it for you. send me a pm and we can talk some more.

Sonic.
03-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Changing from 3/4'' to 1'' would significantly change the response and tuning, especially with a sub that have a low net to start with.

gamehawk55
03-18-2013, 03:16 AM
Changing from 3/4'' to 1'' would significantly change the response and tuning, especially with a sub that have a low net to start with.

Wasn't my idea. It was the guy that built this box for me. He said it should be better response because the HDF would be less porous. But because of the added thickness I don't think he changed any of the dimensions to compensate for the added thickness of the wood.