PDA

View Full Version : question on changing front stage

Bgfx
03-15-2013, 12:47 PM
I currently have Id ctx65cs components in with the tweeters mounted on the a pillars being run by a cadence zrs c9, they sound pretty good but I have been hearing all the hype around the jbl ms62 and was thinking of trying them out. Do yall think it would be a decent upgrade or are they about the same?

mkgoodm
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
C?m on vì b*i vi?t r?t hay v* h?u *ch

keep_hope_alive
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM
if you are happy, stay put.

Why So Cereal?
03-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Not a change I would make unless I just had money to blow and was just seriously curious about the JBLs...

I consider it a lateral move. Personal preference between the two is the deciding factor.

jockhater2
03-15-2013, 04:42 PM
if you are happy, stay put.

Wouldn't the install be the deciding factor. How they are installed. How the car is sealed off and such.

Why So Cereal?
03-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Wouldn't the install be the deciding factor. How they are installed. How the car is sealed off and such.

Thats the case with any set he chooses.

From what it seems, he's content....but curious. Maybe if he weren't content already, the install would be where to look...

Bgfx
03-15-2013, 04:50 PM
I haven't sealed the doors yet (I know, I know its not optimal) But I had to make brackets out of mdf to convert the 6x8 hole to fit the component woofer. I did use duct seal to decouple the bracket from the door and the woofer from the bracket I made.I am looking at deadening the doors I just haven't heard back from the guy on sds..5 emails and not one answer so I will probably be looking into more options. I was just curious if the ms62 are that much better but my money may be better spent on sound deadening.

Why So Cereal?
03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Bingo.

But, I'll take the CTXs for cheapz if you just must see what the hype is with the JBLs ;)

jockhater2
03-15-2013, 04:57 PM
I haven't sealed the doors yet (I know, I know its not optimal) But I had to make brackets out of mdf to convert the 6x8 hole to fit the component woofer. I did use duct seal to decouple the bracket from the door and the woofer from the bracket I made.I am looking at deadening the doors I just haven't heard back from the guy on sds..5 emails and not one answer so I will probably be looking into more options. I was just curious if the ms62 are that much better but my money may be better spent on sound deadening.

From what I have read. Its 90% install and 10% product/brand.
Deaden the doors as much as you can. Optimal is 3 layers of deadener.
Have pods made for the component. Find out what size you need by the crossover frequency you want them to play at.
Use weather stripping 1" around the component to keep the sound from causing phase problems.
keep hope alive is a great guy for advice on how to go about all of that. He is the one who is helping me.

keep_hope_alive
03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
yep, if you have money to spend, spend it on deadener. spend it on the install. try to make your door behave like a speaker enclosure. think about how rigid and acoustically dead a home tower speaker is (a good one). the main difference between a $1,000 home audio tower and your car door is the enclosure. the speaker quality is similar (roughly $20-50 per driver).

my build log has plenty for you to see and try. after you've perfected the door, then you can justify experimenting.

jockhater2
03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
yep, if you have money to spend, spend it on deadener. spend it on the install. try to make your door behave like a speaker enclosure. think about how rigid and acoustically dead a home tower speaker is (a good one). the main difference between a $1,000 home audio tower and your car door is the enclosure. the speaker quality is similar (roughly $20-50 per driver).

my build log has plenty for you to see and try. after you've perfected the door, then you can justify experimenting.

I can't wait to get my build started. The snow is still on the ground. But spring is close. I ended up pulling the trigger. I bought the P99RS.

keep_hope_alive
03-15-2013, 10:14 PM
I can't wait to get my build started. The snow is still on the ground. But spring is close. I ended up pulling the trigger. I bought the P99RS.

i saw that, i think you'll like the HU.

Bgfx
03-16-2013, 12:25 AM

Great I will check out your log thank you for pointing me in the right direction

jockhater2
03-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Great I will check out your log thank you for pointing me in the right direction

your mind will blow with the amount of information in his build logs

jockhater2
03-16-2013, 12:53 AM
i saw that, i think you'll like the HU.

i broke the bank buying it. But. I just want to try it and I am young. This is my only chance in life to spend $ like that.

keep_hope_alive
03-16-2013, 02:38 AM
i broke the bank buying it. But. I just want to try it and I am young. This is my only chance in life to spend $ like that.

yep, just don't be in a hurry to change it out. it may be the best one you ever own.

mlstrass
03-16-2013, 07:38 AM
I currently have Id ctx65cs components in with the tweeters mounted on the a pillars being run by a cadence zrs c9, they sound pretty good but I have been hearing all the hype around the jbl ms62 and was thinking of trying them out. Do yall think it would be a decent upgrade or are they about the same?

Motivating factor for numerous unnecessary purchases in the car audio world...

jockhater2
03-16-2013, 11:37 AM
yep, just don't be in a hurry to change it out. it may be the best one you ever own.

I don't plan on ever changing. The model will stay ahead of its time for years to come.