PDA

View Full Version : 6x9 comps vs 6.5 comps

Rich.
03-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Hi all,

Im looking for some advice on a new system im putting together. Its for a Nissan Frontier. Im putting two image dynamics ID10V3's under the rear bench in a sealed enclosure, Powered by rockford T-600's. Now, i have 2 rockford T400's to power front and rear door speakers.

In the rear i have 6.5 holes in the door, so will be sticking in image dynamics CTX65CS comps. In the front, i have 6x9 cutouts with dash mounted tweets.

Is it worth me dropping the extra $400 on the image dynamics XS-69 comps or should i just make up some adaptor plates and stick a pair of CTX6CS in there too?

Any other advice on this setup?

trumpet
03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
If the price isn't holding you back so much as the quality then I would get the 6x9 set. It's so much easier getting big midbass impact out of a larger cone, which a 6x9 offers from the same surface area as an 8" sub. I can offer another option to consider, which is the CDT Audio HD-690 COM (http://www.513electronics.com/store/car-audio/component-speakers/cdt-audio-hd-690-com-6x9-2-way-component-set/) set.

Rich.
03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
If its worth spending the cash then im happy to do it! I have no experience with 6x9's so im a little in the dark with them, i wasnt sure how much more mid bass they would offer compared to a 6.5.

I assume you probably know what my next question will be. Would you have a preference between the image dynamics and the CDT's? The image dynamics are quite hard to get a hold of now, and shipping to the UK really bumps the price up!

Thanks
Rich

trumpet
03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
As I don't sell and never have sold Image Dynamics my answer is skewed: obviously I would choose CDT. CDT can ship anywhere and the UK is not a problem. If you were serious about buying the CDTs I could talk to Ken about possibly saving you some money on shipping.

zako
03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
I'd get XS-69 or Hybrid Audio Imagine I69-2

Rich.
03-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi Trumpet,

If you could get me a price delivered to NE3 postcode (Newcastle upon tyne) that would be great, i cant find any of them for sale in the UK so looks like i have no other option!

Thanks
Rich

trumpet
03-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Hi Trumpet,

If you could get me a price delivered to NE3 postcode (Newcastle upon tyne) that would be great, i cant find any of them for sale in the UK so looks like i have no other option!

Thanks
Rich

I've sent an e-mail to CDT to get an answer on that for you. Thanks.

whitedragon551
03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
If its worth spending the cash then im happy to do it! I have no experience with 6x9's so im a little in the dark with them, i wasnt sure how much more mid bass they would offer compared to a 6.5.

I assume you probably know what my next question will be. Would you have a preference between the image dynamics and the CDT's? The image dynamics are quite hard to get a hold of now, and shipping to the UK really bumps the price up!

Thanks
Rich

Image Dynamics is heads above CDT unless your dropping lots of money on CDT. For the price range that the ID speakers are in CDT cant touch them.

Rich.
03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
So i would be best off sticking with image dynamics throughout?

Thanks
Rich

mclerico83
03-17-2013, 12:38 PM
PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - PHD FB 6.1 Competition Component Speakers (http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/reports/2810-phd-fb-61-competition-component-speakers) rather put the money toward this

trumpet
03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
So i would be best off sticking with image dynamics throughout?

Thanks
Rich

The Image Dynamics 6x9 components are $579. CDT's HD-690 COM set is $429. If you cut back to 6.5" mids you're giving away free midbass output. There are many more options for good 6.5" component sets which could save you money in the short term, but I would try the 6x9s first.

For a fair judgement you should also apply sound deadening to the doors when installing the new speakers. Extra bass output means more vibrations are almost certain to follow, and sealing the doors to be better speaker enclosures makes a big difference as well.

mclerico83
03-17-2013, 01:42 PM
x2 if your budget needs to include deadening and if you cant then i would go with the cheaper cdt's and deadening over the id

i have never used these but they have been talked a lot over at diyma may want to look into them also

http://store.12velectronics.com/products/Imagine-I69%252d2-Speaker-Set.html

Rich.
03-17-2013, 07:24 PM
I already have a roll of sound desdening, the first job will stripping the interior and fitting it, that includes sealing doors.

I dont mind spening the extra $100 or so if the ID's are really worth it, no disrespect to you trumpet but as you said yourself, you are likely to be bias.

If peoples opions are than the image dynamics are a superior comp them im happy to pay the extra.

Thanks
Rich