PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "standard" tuning freq for single 10" ported enclosure.

AKCoastie
03-12-2013, 02:25 AM
I am new to subs and I am trying to wrap my head around ported enclosures. Is there a hz that would be considered "standard" for a single 10" enlosure? I am looking at a box that matches the SA-10s 1.0-1.25 ported enclosure size and is tuned to 42hz. Is that a good match up? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

IonRL205
03-12-2013, 02:27 AM
That would be a high tuning for a daily setup. Most people tune around 32 to 35 hz for daily

Dtrom
03-12-2013, 02:31 AM
Too high for daily IMO. Like stated above 32 ish to 35-36 hz

AKCoastie
03-12-2013, 02:32 AM
"Sound Quality : 20 up to 28 Hz.
Sound Quality Loudness : 30 up to 35 Hz
Sound Pressure LeveL SPL : 40 up to 80 Hz (test tones are played rather than normal music, to avoid Low frequencies, which damages the speaker).
Its commonly used for competition propose. and not everyday driving.(unless you like listening to test tones for everyday driving)."

So according to this thread, I can actually damage the speakers by running it in this type of box? As the hz decreases, what is happening to the sound as I would hear it while driving? Does it get quieter but more accurate? Is 42hz just going to distort my music?

TaylorFade
03-12-2013, 03:34 AM
"Sound Quality : 20 up to 28 Hz.
Sound Quality Loudness : 30 up to 35 Hz
Sound Pressure LeveL SPL : 40 up to 80 Hz (test tones are played rather than normal music, to avoid Low frequencies, which damages the speaker).
Its commonly used for competition propose. and not everyday driving.(unless you like listening to test tones for everyday driving)."

So according to this thread, I can actually damage the speakers by running it in this type of box? As the hz decreases, what is happening to the sound as I would hear it while driving? Does it get quieter but more accurate? Is 42hz just going to distort my music?

Lol. Where did you get that?

Yes, you can damage your sub by playing too far below tuning. The sub will start to behave like it's not even in a box and just start flapping around (unloading). That's what a subsonic filter is for. To prevent that and it's set according to the tuning of your box.