PDA

View Full Version : New build trying decide on speakers

Kevinl
03-11-2013, 11:54 PM
I am going to be putting a system in my 2005 suburban I will be running a Rockford Fosgate t1000bd
and t600-4.

For subs two JL 12w0v1 in a prefab ported enclosure I am trying to decide on speakers I had hybrid audio imagines in my last build and they were a little too bright.

I was thinking Hybrid Audio Clarus in the front doors and Hybrid audio Mirus in the rear doors.

I don't really know what other brands are as good or better at the price I used to love Mb quart before they got bought out

any thoughts or suggestions

mylows10
03-11-2013, 11:56 PM
dls ,phd, or if really want super nice dynaudio

zako
03-12-2013, 01:24 AM
You need to start with a good processor with active crossovers, good equalizer, and time alignment. Since this all takes time to figure out and tune, you might as well buy one with a built in auto tune feature for a start. This narrows the choice down JBL MS-8 or Alpine H800. If you want a simpler cheaper system, consider Pioneer DEH-80PRS. It's 3way capable (counting subwoofer), so it's perfect for a 2-way active front stage + sub stage without rear speakers.

Otherwise, you're basically at the mercy of the passive crossovers. If the new speakers don't sound "bright" it's just by sheer luck as every car has different acoustic profile. An identical speaker can sound different in different cars. Moreover, buying more expensive speaker but without good processor will not give you good imaging or flat frequency response without the necessary tuning options (sometimes a cheap head unit with basic DSP could work for this.. but normally it's less than perfect).

The Imagines do have a primitive passive crossover. The drivers themselves are very good sounding if you running them active with the right crossover settings. If you don't have a DSP, one cheap stop-gap solution would be to buy a set of Hybrid Audio Clarus or Unity passive crossovers, and plug the Imagine speakers into them (they're very similar to Unity, which share the same crossover with Clarus). Since many people run these active, the basically unused crossovers should be available for sale.

Kevinl
03-12-2013, 02:16 AM
thats some good info thanks

The stock tweeter locations are on the A pillar kind of facing towards the windshield which I am not to sure about

keep_hope_alive
03-12-2013, 10:36 AM
the stock tweeter locations are good for a sound stage height. they work just fine without processing or time alignment because they use good acoustic principles for imaging.

Zako is right with what you want to achieve... except you didn't say Imagine, you said Clarus and Mirus. So ignore his comment on the Imagine series, he misread (i almost did also).

you can build it in steps. The Clarus is a fine set of comps with a good crossover. I think your choices for front and rear are fine.

start without a processor to see where you are at and if you are happy. anything you don't like from there can be fixed with improved installation (treatments, seals, etc.) and improved with processing.

There are lots of speaker options for your budget ($650 or so). You will need to verify stock speaker depth before you commit.

Kevinl
03-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Since I have not purchased a head unit yet is the pioneer deh80prs the way to go instead of buying a processor?