PDA

View Full Version : Are these worth the money?

logan963
03-10-2013, 07:17 PM
I am looking to upgrade my front stage, and I have been looking at the JBL 660GTi component set, are these worth the $750 or should I look into another component system?

Knowmadic
03-10-2013, 07:19 PM
If you have the money to spend, then those speakers will be excellent, just make sure you power them and set the gain properly.

I believe someone is selling them on the forums currently - http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speaker-classifieds/563130-new-jbl-gti-6-5-inch-speakers.html

Kingstroker
03-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Blues car audio, USA made

Rich B
03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Excellent speakers if you can afford them.

From what I've read, they perform best with the large horn loading mount on the tweeters, just be sure you can use them that way.

logan963
03-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Excellent speakers if you can afford them.

From what I've read, they perform best with the large horn loading mount on the tweeters, just be sure you can use them that way.
Large horn loading mount??

winkychevelle
03-10-2013, 10:16 PM
For that kind of money the hertz Mille would be my pick

mlstrass
03-11-2013, 03:58 AM
only YOUR ears can tell you if they're worth it. Personally I wouldn't drop $750 on a set of comps without hearing them in person...

logan963
03-11-2013, 04:12 AM
only YOUR ears can tell you if they're worth it. Personally I wouldn't drop $750 on a set of comps without hearing them in person...
lol, they used to be $2000 5 years ago

winkychevelle
03-11-2013, 07:51 AM
lol, they used to be $2000 5 years ago

Yea but price is but a number. Look at the mtx jackhammer 22 & 24 subs the cost like 10g but are low in price to performance ratio. Think about the kicker warhorse 10kw amp used to cost 11g but you could buy comparible power for less than 3500. And now you can get the warhorse for under 2000 new.

Some products are sold at high prices because of the name behind them others because of how they perform. Jbl has always made excellent equipment and if installed correctly I'm sure these comps would sound amazing, but if you aren't going to invest the time and money into installing them correctly will they be worth that kind of money? More than likely no but this generally goes for any speaker choice.

I know I few guys that have less than 400 in their comps but almost double than in the install and needless to say their cars sound pretty amazing

dbheadrush
03-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Are the DDS 1010b any Gud ? Sorry for thread hacking...

logan963
03-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Yea but price is but a number. Look at the mtx jackhammer 22 & 24 subs the cost like 10g but are low in price to performance ratio. Think about the kicker warhorse 10kw amp used to cost 11g but you could buy comparible power for less than 3500. And now you can get the warhorse for under 2000 new.

Some products are sold at high prices because of the name behind them others because of how they perform. Jbl has always made excellent equipment and if installed correctly I'm sure these comps would sound amazing, but if you aren't going to invest the time and money into installing them correctly will they be worth that kind of money? More than likely no but this generally goes for any speaker choice.

I know I few guys that have less than 400 in their comps but almost double than in the install and needless to say their cars sound pretty amazing
So how do you recommend I install them? I was thinking custom kick panels for the 6.5's and flush mounting the tweeters in my columns so they can both be pointed where they need to be

ramos
03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Nice sounding components if installed correctly. They really like the power though.

logan963
03-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Nice sounding components if installed correctly. They really like the power though.
I will be giving them the power too :) got a JL 300.4 v2 that I will bridge for 150 rms to each side

winkychevelle
03-11-2013, 03:15 PM
So how do you recommend I install them? I was thinking custom kick panels for the 6.5's and flush mounting the tweeters in my columns so they can both be pointed where they need to be

If you can make your kick panels of adequate airspace and properly sealed and dampened then kicks work great especially if you can aim the mid. Tweeter spheres are one of the easiest ways to mount a tweeter not to mention a lot cheaper than fg panels. I don't like flush mount much anymore after have my spheres. On axis with decent power and subsequent processing can have you a truly amazing front stage it's just a lot of time and usually money

And if you chose to mount the mid in the door properly sealing and deadening the door does wonders and I always recommend weatherstripping around the front of the speaker to seal the speaker to the door panel. Little things can make big changes when it comes to sound

LaserRed38
03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
For that kind of money the hertz Mille would be my pick

I have them. Both sets are great, but again install makes the difference.

NoLoud4U
03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
I will be giving them the power too :) got a JL 300.4 v2 that I will bridge for 150 rms to each side

Then run them active. Don't bridge it. Then they will be worth it

TheUnderFighter
03-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Then run them active. Don't bridge it. Then they will be worth it

I can't imagine spending that much on some components and not running them active >.<

logan963
03-11-2013, 09:56 PM
I can't imagine spending that much on some components and not running them active >.<
Im going to try both out and see which I like better, I also have an MS-8 so we will see