PDA

View Full Version : Threatcon 4 12" and 15" info

C2 Audio
03-09-2013, 02:11 PM
REVISED AS OF 5 APRIL 2013:

So after lots of testing and debating....C2 Audio has chosen to change up the Threatcon 4. Images below are the side by side comparison and the new dust cap and cone shots. This new prototype will be a 4" flat-wound coil as opposed to the previous version's 3" coil. Also the magnet is 20oz larger.

The basket will be powder-coated dust black and the vent screens are going to be removed as well. I've been running this prototype in my car for 4 days on an SAZ 2500d and it really pounds! New T/S Parameters, enclosure specifications, RMS, etc will be updated for after further testing.

For right now we expect the pricing to stay the same at $249.95 for the 12" version and $269.95 for the 15" version. This change has pushed back the release date a little, so expect to see these around the end of May to early June.

Thanks for the support and stay tuned!!!

http://i49.tinypic.com/axzm2w.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2qiclqo.jpg

Important Links!!!

C2 AUDIO || 12" Threatcon-4 Subwoofer (http://www.c2audio.com/threatcon_4_12_subwoofer.html#product)
C2 AUDIO || 15" Threatcon-4 Subwoofer (http://www.c2audio.com/threatcon_4_15_subwoofer.html#product)
C2 Audio | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/C2-Audio/289463094512743?fref=ts)
C2CarAudio - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/c2caraudio)

jasonbillnelson
03-09-2013, 03:13 PM
What a Monster!

C2 Audio
03-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Tested another Threatcon 4 prototype this week and have to make some more changes to it before I get the full on production going. I'll post more updates as I get them!

Chris

Linkz
03-16-2013, 08:53 AM
T/S parameters?

C2 Audio
03-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Don't have T/S parameters on this woofer yet since we are still making some changes....once we start full on production and I have these parameters, I will post them in this thread for everyone.

Chris

C2 Audio
03-16-2013, 10:47 AM
deleted

DonH
03-16-2013, 01:31 PM
where are these manufactured? assuming china due to the low pricing?

also why should i buy your product? what makes it stand out above the rest? there is a whole SLEW of companies with drivers with the same specifications. Alot in this niche, so why is yours any better?

jasonbillnelson
03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
He has alot of time in the car audio game man. 20 years of experience from R&D, build up, testing, competition, marketing, sales, etc. Go check out the video of the THREATCON 2 in action on his YouTube link. He wants to make quality woofers that are easy on the wallet. Other than seeing the woofer perform you'll have to take a chance on them. I'm running a single SA-10 and ill be picking up his Threatcon 2 12" sub.

Austin175
03-16-2013, 01:51 PM
a pair of 15s intrigues me.

DonH
03-16-2013, 01:54 PM
He has alot of time in the car audio game man. 20 years of experience from R&D, build up, testing, competition, marketing, sales, etc. Go check out the video of the THREATCON 2 in action on his YouTube link. He wants to make quality woofers that are easy on the wallet. Other than seeing the woofer perform you'll have to take a chance on them. I'm running a single SA-10 and ill be picking up his Threatcon 2 12" sub.

Great, i still want to know why this sub woofer is better than any other sub woofer in its price subset. Also i understand sales and marketing very well ;) receiving my MBA in a month.

jasonbillnelson
03-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Congrats on that! Subs are made overseas and these subs aren't going to destroy any and all competitors it sees. Chris just wanted to make a sub that is competition quality at an affordable price. He's already got a guy interested in running 14 Threatcon 2's throughout 3 of that guys competition vehicles. So that's pretty sweet. Also Chris is going to offer SPL versions of every C2 Subwoofer series. That will be an additional fee.

C2 Audio
03-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Great, i still want to know why this sub woofer is better than any other sub woofer in its price subset. Also i understand sales and marketing very well ;) receiving my MBA in a month.

As Jason said, I'm just trying to get you guys the best possible woofer I can make, and keep it very affordable in the process. Yes, I have the woofers built overseas but if you choose to you can request an SPL version of any C2 Audio subwoofer for an additional fee and I will build it and test personally. I'm not here to destroy sundown audio or dc audio with my brand. I actually run SA-12's in my vehicle. However, I just want to make my woofers be competitive with their lines while keeping them very affordable.

If you've checked out the YouTube link the Threatcon 2 is 600 RMS took 800 watts for a few hours with no issues at all and didn't even get warm. After running it at 1200 watts for 55 mins straight there was a spyder glue failure which has been resolved for the production line. Although I rate my subs conservatively so there shouldn't be any issues.

As far as the Threatcon 4, still making some changes and I will pass some more details along as I get them. What I have listed now is mostly accurate, however I have adjusted the prototype slightly....more to come on that.

I hope this has given you some insight on what my goals are with the C2 Audio line and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. Jason is pretty good at answering them as we talk pretty often about the lines. If he doesn't know he asks me to give you the info. So, again thank you for your inquiry and I hope I answered your question.

-Chris

jasonbillnelson
03-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Who else has questions?!?!

DonH
03-27-2013, 04:41 PM
As Jason said, I'm just trying to get you guys the best possible woofer I can make, and keep it very affordable in the process. Yes, I have the woofers built overseas but if you choose to you can request an SPL version of any C2 Audio subwoofer for an additional fee and I will build it and test personally. I'm not here to destroy sundown audio or dc audio with my brand. I actually run SA-12's in my vehicle. However, I just want to make my woofers be competitive with their lines while keeping them very affordable.

why not? I would want to be the KING if i was investing time and money into starting a speaker company. Basic capitalism. I understand your position as wanting to be humble though.

If you've checked out the YouTube link the Threatcon 2 is 600 RMS took 800 watts for a few hours with no issues at all and didn't even get warm. After running it at 1200 watts for 55 mins straight there was a spyder glue failure which has been resolved for the production line. Although I rate my subs conservatively so there shouldn't be any issues.

Very reasonable amount of power :)

As far as the Threatcon 4, still making some changes and I will pass some more details along as I get them. What I have listed now is mostly accurate, however I have adjusted the prototype slightly....more to come on that.

I hope this has given you some insight on what my goals are with the C2 Audio line and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. Jason is pretty good at answering them as we talk pretty often about the lines. If he doesn't know he asks me to give you the info. So, again thank you for your inquiry and I hope I answered your question.

Indeed you did

-Chris

my replies in red

jasonbillnelson
03-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Glad that worked out! The THREATCON 4 has changed. I will be releasing pictures an details sometime soon for all to see!!

C2 Audio
03-29-2013, 05:36 PM
my replies in red

Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad I answered your questions!

-Chris

C2 Audio
04-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Just updated the main post. Threatcon 4 has been revised.

C2 Audio
04-05-2013, 12:07 PM
deleted*.

jasonbillnelson
04-05-2013, 12:25 PM
it just keeps getting bigger! AWESOME!!!

JL Audio
04-05-2013, 04:26 PM
I want some of those baskets on the 12" in pic... Sell me some?

Silverado SS
04-05-2013, 05:05 PM
V2 motor and parts but NEED the v1 baskets them things are dam 5exy

Popwarhomie
04-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Crap. I was hoping with the 4" coil they would handle closer to 2000 each.

jasonbillnelson
04-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Crap. I was hoping with the 4" coil they would handle closer to 2000 each.

He hasn't released the new RMS for this version 2. I don't even know and I talk to him daily. However he said he had a 2500 on it for the past 4 days and it's been going strong. We'll just have to wait until he's finished his testing and makes a call on the RMS.

Popwarhomie
04-05-2013, 05:34 PM
He hasn't released the new RMS for this version 2. I don't even know and I talk to him daily. However he said he had a 2500 on it for the past 4 days and it's been going strong. We'll just have to wait until he's finished his testing and makes a call on the RMS.

Oh okay. I thought it was staying at 1200 rms.

Really hoping for 2000. But with only a 240 oz motor I doubt it. HDC3s have 340 oz motors and are rated 1000 rms.

Thank you.

Silverado SS
04-05-2013, 05:38 PM
I have to support a local car audio company and are seriously thinking of ordering 2 15s. Any ETA for pre order?

Austin175
04-05-2013, 05:39 PM
4" coil for that price hmmm :) might have to sell my sa 15s an pick up 4 12s or 2 15s

Silverado SS
04-05-2013, 05:43 PM
4" coil for that price hmmm :) might have to sell my sa 15s an pick up 4 12s or 2 15s

That's what I'm saying these things would sell like crack in Detroit. If these are close to the real 4s I might have to wait longer and get the SPL versions.... One question c2 when will the T2 SPL version be out or released?

naughtyca
04-05-2013, 05:43 PM
$250 for a 4inch coil awesomeness!!

jasonbillnelson
04-05-2013, 06:42 PM
I have to support a local car audio company and are seriously thinking of ordering 2 15s. Any ETA for pre order?

No ETA on pre-order yet.

jasonbillnelson
04-05-2013, 06:43 PM
That's what I'm saying these things would sell like crack in Detroit. If these are close to the real 4s I might have to wait longer and get the SPL versions.... One question c2 when will the T2 SPL version be out or released?

SPL versions will be made to order by Chris in Ohio. You'll have to Email him at [email protected] to work out the details.

Silverado SS
04-05-2013, 06:45 PM
No ETA on pre-order yet.

Your relationship to owner is...? Just wondering if your a worker or friend, and where do you guys live in Ohio I'm around cleveland

jasonbillnelson
04-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Oh okay. I thought it was staying at 1200 rms.

Really hoping for 2000. But with only a 240 oz motor I doubt it. HDC3s have 340 oz motors and are rated 1000 rms.

Thank you.

The v1 THREATCON 4 was rated for 1200 RMS. Chris rates his subs very conservatively. Even if he rates it at 1200RMS it will probably take 1600 or so just fine. He'll disclose all of tht later though. Who knows, maybe this new 4" coil, motor and spider setup will allow for higher RMS rating. We will just have to wait and see

jasonbillnelson
04-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Your relationship to owner is...? Just wondering if your a worker or friend, and where do you guys live in Ohio I'm around cleveland

Good friend of the owner and messenger. He doesn't get online all the time so I try to help him out and answer questions for him and what I can't answer I ask him for the answer. We talk pretty much daily about product and inquiries from people. He's in Youngstown Ohio and I'm stationed at Andrews AFB, MD.

Silverado SS
04-05-2013, 06:52 PM
OK thanks for his email that should help with a couple of questions?

jasonbillnelson
04-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I want some of those baskets on the 12" in pic... Sell me some?

Chris might be able to after they are in production. Email Chris at [email protected]

jasonbillnelson
04-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Im in for 2 12's.. but what makes you think you will be able to get away with using that basket?

Can you elaborate? Get away with?

jasonbillnelson
04-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I'll ask him.

JL Audio
04-05-2013, 10:04 PM
The 15" and 18" are... Not the 12 and 10. He's talking before knowing.

jasonbillnelson
04-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Chris doesn't plan on having 10"s 8"s or 18"s just yet. He's focusing on getting the 12"s and 15"s out and then may look into other sizes next year.

naughtyca
04-06-2013, 08:02 AM
the ti frame is patented. the patent holders are VERY protective of it. China will sell it to you, with no problems. but the legal ramifications of selling it HERE are very real, and very costly. im really not trying to be mean, you need to look into it though

That basket is not a patented basket

raptor727
04-06-2013, 08:11 AM
These subs look very beastly!! Awesome price for a **** looking woofer might have to try one of these myself would it be ok inverted??

jasonbillnelson
04-06-2013, 09:52 AM
These subs look very beastly!! Awesome price for a **** looking woofer might have to try one of these myself would it be ok inverted??

Don't see why you couldn't invert it. The production hasn't started yet since its still in the testing and prototype stage. He's looking to him have them by late May to early june

Austin175
04-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I wish there was trade in's on these.

JL Audio
04-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Oh well.

C2 Audio
04-06-2013, 11:31 PM
the ti frame is patented. the patent holders are VERY protective of it. China will sell it to you, with no problems. but the legal ramifications of selling it HERE are very real, and very costly. im really not trying to be mean, you need to look into it though

I know whose basket design you're thinking of and the answer is no, these are not the same baskets. They look very similar....but they are not the same. I chose "off the shelf" baskets so the money could be used on quality soft parts, coil, and motor. Thanks for your concern.

-Chris

Trippymane
04-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Its not hard to get around patents with a few easy changes...

C2 Audio
04-07-2013, 10:48 AM
I wish there was trade in's on these.

Maybe down the road.....haven't decided on it.

blobb454
04-07-2013, 04:24 PM
I'd be interested in there. 4" coil on a 15" sub? Under 300.00? Like to know when they become available.

jasonbillnelson
04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I'd be interested in there. 4" coil on a 15" sub? Under 300.00? Like to know when they become available.

It's looking like late May to Early June for the Threatcon 4. Subject to change of course.

Trippymane
04-07-2013, 08:59 PM
chris, there are 2 patents on these frames. specs is one patent. appearance is another. it's adorable you think you'll be ok. im not trying to be mean here, but I HIGHLY suggest you consult an actual legal professional, not your buddies friend's dogs brothers owner who met a lawyer once. thilo has very little money now a days, but he DOES have enough to put you in serious pain financially

I'm gonna go out on a huge limb here, and guess Chris doesn't have the cash to change these.

justin/jl audio/thelow/wtf ever you're going by now.. you have no idea, so I would suggest you stop spewing inaccuracies, before you get someone in trouble because they actually LISTEN to you.

Let me guess your an attorney and know all the patent laws and u personally know there isn't any loop holes. And how do u know thilo stomplers finances?
Do you know all the specs to these baskets as well?

jasonbillnelson
04-07-2013, 09:17 PM
chris, there are 2 patents on these frames. specs is one patent. appearance is another. it's adorable you think you'll be ok. im not trying to be mean here, but I HIGHLY suggest you consult an actual legal professional, not your buddies friend's dogs brothers owner who met a lawyer once. thilo has very little money now a days, but he DOES have enough to put you in serious pain financially

I'm gonna go out on a huge limb here, and guess Chris doesn't have the cash to change these.

justin/jl audio/thelow/wtf ever you're going by now.. you have no idea, so I would suggest you stop spewing inaccuracies, before you get someone in trouble because they actually LISTEN to you.

He told you they weren't the same. He's done his research man. In sure you are looking out for his best interest in this but he made it a point to choose "off the shelf" or "catalog" baskets to save money for better soft parts.

C2 Audio
04-08-2013, 07:37 AM

I have the money to change whatever I want too. However, I know that the basket I chose is a catalog basket. I still have the catalog! It's not the one you are thinking of. And this basket was chosen to soley to achieve the quality product I'm after and to keep it in the price range I want for all of you. So again, thank you for your concern.

-Chris

Fishpoke
04-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Can you post the results for the inductance of the new designs?

jasonbillnelson
04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Can you post the results for the inductance of the new designs?

Chris is still getting all the specifications together with his testing he's been doing. Once all of that is complete he'll get them posted on the C2 Audio website and here. The last week has been pretty crazy for him and his local buisness so testing has been prolonged. Just stay tuned and I'll keep hasseling him to get it put up! haha

dbeez
04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Chris is still getting all the specifications together with his testing he's been doing. Once all of that is complete he'll get them posted on the C2 Audio website and here. The last week has been pretty crazy for him and his local buisness so testing has been prolonged. Just stay tuned and I'll keep hasseling him to get it put up! haha
Is there a chance he has 4 matching 15" threatcons available for testing prefer d1's to test on my crossfire 8k

jasonbillnelson
04-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Is there a chance he has 4 matching 15" threatcons available for testing prefer d1's to test on my crossfire 8k

He currently only has the prototype threatcon 4 12". As of right now he has D4 and D2 models planned for both the 12" and 15" threatcon 4's. He is expecting production line to arrive end of May or early June. He has offered SPL versions of all his C2 Audio subs (these will be made to order by him after production arrives) for an additional charge. So he may be able to help you out with D1's

dbeez
04-08-2013, 11:02 AM
He currently only has the prototype threatcon 4 12". As of right now he has D4 and D2 models planned for both the 12" and 15" threatcon 4's. He is expecting production line to arrive end of May or early June. He has offered SPL versions of all his C2 Audio subs (these will be made to order by him after production arrives) for an additional charge. So he may be able to help you out with D1's
When I hear spl version I think much larger and stronger motor not just soft parts upgrade so if hes going to change the motor I would possibly be interested.

jasonbillnelson
04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
When I hear spl version I think much larger and stronger motor not just soft parts upgrade so if hes going to change the motor I would possibly be interested.

Cool...I haven't heard much about it except that it's going to be offered, built by Chris, and will have an additional charge.

Silverado SS
04-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Would like a 280+ oz plus magnet for the 4s and 320+ for the 5s when they come around. Xfl is 220 I believe and it is beefy but I think a larger motor would really help the 4" VC excel. I know the price will go up but around 300-310 is very competitive for that size and ability of this woofer

jasonbillnelson
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Would like a 280+ oz plus magnet for the 4s and 320+ for the 5s when they come around. Xfl is 220 I believe and it is beefy but I think a larger motor would really help the 4" VC excel. I know the price will go up but around 300-310 is very competitive for that size and ability of this woofer

No 5's. Chris is jumping by 2's so the next will be a Threatcon 6. He just got a parts quote yesterday so it's going to be a while before any pictures, prototype, solid release info comes around.

Silverado SS
04-09-2013, 11:55 AM
No 5's. Chris is jumping by 2's so the next will be a Threatcon 6. He just got a parts quote yesterday so it's going to be a while before any pictures, prototype, solid release info comes around.

Dam in his email he said he was gonna release more info yesterday

jasonbillnelson
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Dam in his email he said he was gonna release more info yesterday

He hasn't given me any info on the Threatcon 6 other than the parts quote and projected price. Also hasn't said to go and release it yet.... However...the last 7 days has been crazy at his shop. Crazy customers and death in co-workers family so he's been working lots of extended hours. I'm sure he'll get me some info or post it himself in the next week or two.

brandonkain82
04-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I want two 15 asap please

C2 Audio
04-10-2013, 07:47 PM
I want two 15 asap please

Still in the works man! And you aren't the only one! I assure you that!

Serpent710
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
i wanna see more vids of the threatcon 2 prototype!

jasonbillnelson
04-10-2013, 08:18 PM
i wanna see more vids of the threatcon 2 prototype!

I just want mine in my ride!! Time is going slow!

brandonkain82
04-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Hurry up already. I wanna see what these can do on clean power. Lol

C2 Audio
04-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Hurry up already. I wanna see what these can do on clean power. Lol

I'm still testing the 12" prototype in my ride. It's on an SAZ 2500 right now. I'm hoping to have some videos soon. Work permitting of course.

-Chris

C2 Audio
05-03-2013, 11:23 AM
First off, I'm sorry to all of you for not being on here more often....We are in transition of moving local stores among other things and I haven't been able to get on here as much as I'd like to.

Here's the latest on the Threatcon 4 series. We are currently still in the testing prototypes stage and we now have a few prototypes that are being tested. So the Threatcon 4 will be happening, we just haven't made the decision of which woofer we will run with. We still have time to meet the arrival time of early July, so we are taking the time to make sure we are fully satisfied with what we choose. We want to put out the best possible Threatcon 4 we can. And so I don't leave you all hanging here are the photos of the 3 woofers we are testing.

Build House prototype
http://i42.tinypic.com/5jy435.jpg

JF Prototype
http://i39.tinypic.com/bj5wms.jpg

My V2 Prototype
http://i44.tinypic.com/28al47l.jpg

-Chris

naughtyca
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Looks very promising, and as long as the cost is low, i am pretty sure it will move like the threatcon 2 sale, we need a mid level price sub with quality and efficiency

C2 Audio
05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Looks very promising, and as long as the cost is low, i am pretty sure it will move like the threatcon 2 sale, we need a mid level price sub with quality and efficiency

That is what we are going for!

jasonbillnelson
05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
That JF uses the same basket as Threatcon 2