PDA

View Full Version : Efficient Box for SP4 15?

GreekBrotha8
03-06-2013, 05:17 PM
So I know the sp4 has a 4 inch coil, and many people say that 2,000 watts would be wasted on a 4 inch coil, but i wanna know what some of you box designer say. How large would the box have to be to compensate for the lower wattage? I really want to make it work lol. And please don't come in here with "2,000 watts is retarded for a sp4, get blah blah sub" heard it before, hence why i'm making this thread. let me knoww!

Buck
03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
4.5-5 cubes.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

I would tune low too.

GreekBrotha8
03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
4.5-5 cubes.

Really, thats all? i like the sound of that lol

Like 28hz?

Buck
03-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Maybe 5.5. You start getting really big and you are going to lose that top end a lot.

bSems
03-08-2013, 08:29 AM
You'r getting on the SP4 movement too huh? I just placed my order a few days ago. Dual 2 15 w/ cooling. And I too will be looking for a good box design. I've had the RE XXX 12" in the past...the 2005 model, yes the better one! lol. And I had that in a 94 Camry. Strong Lported enclosure..and got pretty low from what I remember. ( I sold it back in 2007)

But anyways.. what are you putting your SP4 in? I have a 07 camry..and will more than likely start this build with a rear firing ported.. hopefully i can get 4.0-4.2 cubes to fit back there w/o taking up the entire trunk.

What amp are you gettin that 2kWatts from?

rebelfromva
03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
You'r getting on the SP4 movement too huh? I just placed my order a few days ago. Dual 2 15 w/ cooling. And I too will be looking for a good box design. I've had the RE XXX 12" in the past...the 2005 model, yes the better one! lol. And I had that in a 94 Camry. Strong Lported enclosure..and got pretty low from what I remember. ( I sold it back in 2007)

But anyways.. what are you putting your SP4 in? I have a 07 camry..and will more than likely start this build with a rear firing ported.. hopefully i can get 4.0-4.2 cubes to fit back there w/o taking up the entire trunk.

another from VA

bSems
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
another from VA

yessirr.. Hey from your sig.. how are you satisfied with the singer alt? I just wrote him and he quoted me with a tag of around $480. Im considering between singer and mechman. I need to make sure that that kind of investment will last in my car.

I want an alternator thats for my car but will help my audio, not a alt thats for my audio and fits my car.

rebelfromva
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
yessirr.. Hey from your sig.. how are you satisfied with the singer alt? I just wrote him and he quoted me with a tag of around $480. Im considering between singer and mechman. I need to make sure that that kind of investment will last in my car.

I want an alternator thats for my car but will help my audio, not a alt thats for my audio and fits my car.

where are you located?

this is my voltage with 1 extra 102ah c&d and the singer alt. aq3500.1@1ohm wide open. I highly recommend singer from my experience and others with his product. lifetime warranty too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWwxsL2e6o

bSems
03-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Im in the peninsula, hampton/NN area. You?

In the vid it seemed like you were driving..or were you idle? Does your voltage usually stick at 13ish? Correct me if im wrong but I assumed it would be more close to the 14v range. especially when the bass wasnt hitting.

My electrical will consist of 2 braille b7548 batts. One under the hood and one in the trunk. 1/0 Knukoncepts throughout.

Substage amp american bass 150.1.. sub will eat off of 1 ohm. Front staging will be (4 )SQ-65M's alongside (4) SQ-T2 tweets. I like the sound of dome tweets vs horn tweets...i guess you can say I'm SQ oriented vs just getting plain LOUD!!

rebelfromva
03-08-2013, 11:14 AM

In the vid it seemed like you were driving..or were you idle? Does your voltage usually stick at 13ish? Correct me if im wrong but I assumed it would be more close to the 14v range. especially when the bass wasnt hitting.

My electrical will consist of 2 braille b7548 batts. One under the hood and one in the trunk. 1/0 Knukoncepts throughout.

Substage amp american bass 150.1.. sub will eat off of 1 ohm. Front staging will be (4 )SQ-65M's alongside (4) SQ-T2 tweets. I like the sound of dome tweets vs horn tweets...i guess you can say I'm SQ oriented vs just getting plain LOUD!!

Richmond. We have a fb group with a bunch of guys in the area. My car is controlled internally so it has a mind of its own. Sometimes it would sit at 13.9, 14.9 and 12.9. Regardless of starting voltage really doesn't drop that much. I need to get a video of when it spikes to 15.5! Eventually I'm going to get an external reg from Mike. Pm me your number if you ever need help with installs or looking to shoot the $h!t

SMS
03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
i think it depends somewhat on your electrical- if your dropping to 11.8v right before you start clipping you may be giving the sub 1200-1500w- then you have to take your rise into account. thats my theory anyway

NoLoud4U
03-08-2013, 11:47 AM

I got some pretty loud SQ in Sulfolk, right across the tunnel

rebelfromva
03-08-2013, 11:56 AM

You quiet though :0

NoLoud4U
03-08-2013, 12:05 PM
You quiet though :0

Loud enough ******

bSems
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Richmond. We have a fb group with a bunch of guys in the area. My car is controlled internally so it has a mind of its own. Sometimes it would sit at 13.9, 14.9 and 12.9. Regardless of starting voltage really doesn't drop that much. I need to get a video of when it spikes to 15.5! Eventually I'm going to get an external reg from Mike. Pm me your number if you ever need help with installs or looking to shoot the $h!t

Oh yea? whats the FB name? Ill pm you and see whats up. I havent had any bang in YEARS, so my ears are probably new born virgins to the woofer world smh. My goal is to have everything installed before summer hits. My last install was more of a plug n chug type deal, I have 4ga wire, didnt deaden much of anything, and had a hifonics amp with no extra battery source in the setup. And back then I thought i was gettin 2000 watts RMS lmao.

bSems
03-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Sheit, you better be with 5 extra batts in the setup! I simply dont have the space for all that.

-BenBen-
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
dbeez ; is doing mine tuned to 33, i know alot of people say tune around 28-30 and its great.. my box will be around 3.5 cu i think but im running a saz 3k on it and soon adding 1 more to strap

SMS
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
dbeez ; is doing mine tuned to 33, i know alot of people say tune around 28-30 and its great.. my box will be around 3.5 cu i think but im running a saz 3k on it and soon adding 1 more to strap

so your going to put 6k at that sub?

bSems
03-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Man even after I finish my setup.. looks (from the sigs) like both of yall's system is going to diarrhea on mine. -__- :crap:

PapaGeno21
03-08-2013, 01:15 PM

If you do that the sub will blow inside of a few songs.

As far as enclosure, 4 cubes NET with 18" of port per foot using about 82" or so of port will work well. These subs move tons of air and love larger ports. They also sound like **** in small boxes, so your gonna need something around 6-6.5 gross size to get about 4 net after port and sub displacement.

GreekBrotha8
03-08-2013, 01:49 PM

I was going too but I think I'm going to go with a audiopulse revo 15 to save myself the headache, trunk room, and money lol. I have a '04 civic. Let me know how it goes for ya man! I've always wanted one side I heard about them lol. Oh and I have a mmats 2000.1

bSems
03-08-2013, 02:04 PM
I was going too but I think I'm going to go with a audiopulse revo 15 to save myself the headache, trunk room, and money lol. I have a '04 civic. Let me know how it goes for ya man! I've always wanted one side I heard about them lol. Oh and I have a mmats 2000.1

For sure bro, while you're trying to save yourself from headaches.. I'll be trying to give them!

-BenBen-
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM

i figured with box rise ect it wouldnt be that high, but i was told they can take around 5k without a problem. i just know itll do more then the 3k its rated at. maybe a aq 3500.1 would do

PapaGeno21
03-08-2013, 02:41 PM
They can't take that much power. Give the thing 3k and call it done. Unless you want to buy lots of recones for it.

Just because someone "said you can do it" does not make it fact. They are amazing subs but if you want to run 6k you need two of them. And you should NEVER account for rise. Rise does not happen across the board, it may rise 1ohm at 40 Hz but not at all at 32. Build your stuff for the rated ohm load and just hope you don't get a ton of rise.

-BenBen-
03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
have seen 1 take 4300 and also seen one strapped on 6k. now if the gain was high, how long it was played ect idk.

GreekBrotha8
03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
i figured with box rise ect it wouldnt be that high, but i was told they can take around 5k without a problem. i just know itll do more then the 3k its rated at. maybe a aq 3500.1 would do

I don't think you'll notice a difference from just 500 watts. They can take more like you said, but Id be real careful bro. If I were you I would just make my box bigger, if you can. And I really doubt that a couple hz higher tuning will "blow" like he said. Just do what you want man, it's your system, you live and learn.

-BenBen-
03-08-2013, 03:05 PM
i only said that cause the aq amp does 4300 at 1 ohm. but i will see what the saz 3000 will do 1st. should be pretty loud coming from a ap 1800

PapaGeno21
03-08-2013, 03:54 PM
It should take 4k if you know how to properly set gains. It won't take 6, I don't care what anyone says. Not for a long amount of time anyways. The surrounds tear right off the SP4's.

dbeez
03-08-2013, 04:19 PM
If you do that the sub will blow inside of a few songs.

As far as enclosure, 4 cubes NET with 18" of port per foot using about 82" or so of port will work well. These subs move tons of air and love larger ports. They also sound like **** in small boxes, so your gonna need something around 6-6.5 gross size to get about 4 net after port and sub displacement.

please explain cant wait to hear this

dbeez
03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
They can't take that much power. Give the thing 3k and call it done. Unless you want to buy lots of recones for it.

Just because someone "said you can do it" does not make it fact. They are amazing subs but if you want to run 6k you need two of them. And you should NEVER account for rise. Rise does not happen across the board, it may rise 1ohm at 40 Hz but not at all at 32. Build your stuff for the rated ohm load and just hope you don't get a ton of rise.

we will see i think i got this well under control.

Buck
03-08-2013, 06:50 PM
please explain cant wait to hear this

we will see i think i got this well under control.

:laugh:

PapaGeno21
03-08-2013, 08:12 PM
What exactly do you have "under control"?

And please explain what?

I am going exactly off of what Shawn had told me from FI when I was running my BL. He and I planned out a box, and the initial plan was to add more power to go to the SP4 in the future. The box I personally was using was basically what I explained to him. The FI subs love port, unlike most other brands.

Or are you talking about the ohm load rise? I understand that every box has rise, some a LOT more than others. But you should not "plan" for it. And rise is not constant, it varies depending on the frequency. As far as that is concerned I am giving him safe advice. I would rather see him have a healthy sub vs him sending it way too much power and having to recone the thing after a few not 100% clean songs.

dbeez
03-08-2013, 08:51 PM
The sub will see clean power will not be pushed far beyond its limits I am sure you know all the circumstances in which it will be setup though. I have been doing this for quite a while as long as he leaves it alone once I set it all up it will be fine for years to come as all others I have setup have been.

PapaGeno21
03-08-2013, 09:00 PM
The sub will see cleqn power will not be pushed far beyond its limits I am sure you know all the circumstances in which it will be setup though. I have been doing this for quite a while as long as he leaves it alone once I set it all up it will be fine for years to come as all others I have setup have been.

Are we talking about BenBen or the original poster?

I am not saying anything against you setting it up, hell I did not know you were setting it up. I know you know what your doing, I was just under the impression he was setting this all up himself.

Big power setups like this, you gotta know what your doing OR have someone who does set this stuff up haha!

bSems
03-08-2013, 09:54 PM
oh yea? Guess you just recruited another audio guru who is willing to learn from anyone who is willing to teach. @dbeez

PapaGeno21
03-08-2013, 09:55 PM
oh yea? Guess you just recruited another audio guru who is willing to learn from anyone who is willing to teach. @dbeez

Not quite sure what that is supposed to mean?

bSems
03-08-2013, 09:56 PM
The sub will see cleqn power will not be pushed far beyond its limits I am sure you know all the circumstances in which it will be setup though. I have been doing this for quite a while as long as he leaves it alone once I set it all up it will be fine for years to come as all others I have setup have been.

Oh yea? You just recruited another audio guru who is willing to learn as long as your willing to teach.

bSems
03-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Not quite sure what that is supposed to mean?

I was just saying that if hes willing to help me with the brainstorm behind the development of my upcoming build..id be willing to listen. Im not one of those audio guys who thinks that they know more then the next fool. We're all fools in a sense.. but this fool is humble enough to take in all advice.

dbeez
03-08-2013, 10:14 PM

I am not saying anything against you setting it up, hell I did not know you were setting it up. I know you know what your doing, I was just under the impression he was setting this all up himself.

Big power setups like this, you gotta know what your doing OR have someone who does set this stuff up haha!

I will be doing benbens setup for him tuning it and all he is limited on space so some comprimises had to be made where the rlextra power will come in handy.

dbeez
03-08-2013, 10:14 PM

I will be doing benbens setup for him tuning it and all he is limited on space so some comprimises had to be made where the rlextra power will come in handy.

PapaGeno21
03-09-2013, 08:53 AM
I was just saying that if hes willing to help me with the brainstorm behind the development of my upcoming build..id be willing to listen. Im not one of those audio guys who thinks that they know more then the next fool. We're all fools in a sense.. but this fool is humble enough to take in all advice.

Haha, that is true man. Every one starts somewhere. There is still TONS of crap I don't know or understand about this hobby, but luckily for the forums I learn more and more every day.

Oh ok. That is good man. I'm sure his **** will pound once its all setup. The SP4 is a monster, and I really love that sub. I would not be shocked if I end up with two of those this year at some point.

dbeez
03-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately I am not an fi fan at all after running one of their speaker but I will do what I can for the community and bsems I will try and get on here tonight and help you I have alot going on today including designing a box for my buddy jock hater tonight since I didnt get home in time to do it last night

dbeez
03-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Oh and so everyone knows even as much as I do know and as long as ive been in this hobby I do not know it all and will never know it all. The second you think you know everything is the point at witch you should stop wise men always keeps ears open and continue to learn until they die.

bSems
03-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately I am not an fi fan at all after running one of their speaker but I will do what I can for the community and bsems I will try and get on here tonight and help you I have alot going on today including designing a box for my buddy jock hater tonight since I didnt get home in time to do it last night

Sounds cool bro, I'm in no rush really. Im going to try and make sure I do this build with the best quality and craftsmanship possible.

-BenBen-
03-19-2013, 02:29 PM

sundown 3k for now, may get another to strap

SMS
03-19-2013, 06:15 PM
sundown 3k for now, may get another to strap

well thats weird